Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Welmu posted:

Intel has released 14nm Broadwell SoC Xeons:

Anandtech article.

Wait, 10Gb networking without extra bullshit? As in, 10Gbit interfaces on the motherboard?

Edit: ^ what they said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Crushable Object posted:

Since Intel bought McAfee has it become any less awful?

I think I already know the answer but time for comedy hour.

Just go with a good free AV [mse, avg, whatever] + common sense when browsing. MacAfee EPO was ejected from my workplace recently for deciding to eat a few webservers one night.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Lord Bude posted:

Norton performs really well, despite what neckbeards stuck in 2001 will tell you, although it can be very aggressive if you tell it too and bring up more false positives.

But it.....a......--hmmmm.

I need to go re-think my opinions.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Core 0 needs to be doing the task at hand, core 1 keeping tabs on the street traffic, and 2 and 3 managing networking aka dicking around on their smartphones.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Combat Pretzel posted:

Talking about pressure optimized airflows, is there a reason why CPU fans don't have stators? Well, there's that single fan model from Noctua that has some, but that's about it.

I'd venture to guess the fine parallel-plate structure of the heatsink does a fantastic job of promoting laminar flow.

Edit: actually, the leading edges are so drat close together -- I really have no clue. Retracted.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 20, 2015

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Thanks for the link, Unimaginative -- that's really helpful.

HERAK posted:

I still find it hilarious that most of America hasn't succumbed to some sort of massive electrical fire and that you are willing to accept such comparatively low standards for your household wiring.

Same with our ISPs :( If you haven't been following what the majordomo of Comcast has been doing in his role as the chairman of the FCC (internet / broadcast control agency), he's basically been railing on mobile data providers (Comcast has no stake in that market) about data caps & throttling, distracting us from the depressingly-rapid spread of data caps and throttling in landline providers.

Guy need to be killed, quickly.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Have we heard anything about low-power versions of Skylake?

Nintendo Kid posted:

There's still some housing out there that contains substantial amounts of this wiring:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knob-and-tube_wiring

That frayed cable.

That splice!

I think I grew up in a house with this poo poo, if my memory isn't making up what the crawlspace below the ground floor looked like. My mother insisted on doing our own electrical work :hb:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I think you're trying to dumb it down a little too much into 1 number and there is a lot more going on there. There are plenty of benches showing the latency trade offs to get the higher clocked DDR4 resulting in either slight (.5-1%) losses or no gains at all in actual real world performance. The exception to that will be for workloads that are actually bandwidth limited, then yes DDR4 shines, but there aren't very many of those for most desktop users.

Remind me why we stopped soldering the heatspreader on? I have to think a dab of metallic solder would beat paste hands down, conductivity be damned.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Panty Saluter posted:

Skyrim's lousy scripting system make it a great CPU torture test.

How much do you have to have going on for it to really stress stuff out? A friend has been playing hefily-modded Skyrim on an i3 4330 + GTX 750 build, and frankly the CPU doesn't come close to bottlenecking.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yudo posted:

I'd go on a limb and say that AMD going under would be bad for Intel's business. Government purchasing often requires second sourcing, particularly military stuff. Intel would become an official monopoly rather than just being one de facto.

Legally, I doubt the US would do anything about it but the EU would perhaps. Intel might even be wise to keep AMD on life support as there are no real competition in the areas that seem to matter now: server and mobile. Intel's problem is not AMD, rather its dependence on process scaling and struggles with with multiple patterning and wiring these 14nm chips. 10nm is going to be even worse.

Does the fed buy raw cpus? For example, at the moment there is a de-facto Dell monoculture in the federal government for user desktops and servers(most stringently in DoD and Army), but that adds a layer of abstraction above the cpu vendor. I'm not finding any procurement policies that care whether the HP and Dell servers they have available on CHESS contracts all have only one parts vendor for cpu.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yudo posted:

I don't think the Fed buys CPUs: even when something breaks, the vendor usually handles it.

I could be wrong, but the parts themselves must be multiple sourced or potentially such: the vendor needs to be able to get parts from more than once manufacturer. I'm not sure that it's built into every government contract, however. As hosed up as federal and military procurement is, I can't imagine that they would be comfortable being explicitly dependent and beholden to one company for x86 applications.

Then again, they let Lockmart do whatever.

Non-availability would factor in here should Intel's desktop/server-space competition die. Security matters more on that CHESS list anyway (bye bye, Chinese-owned manufacturers).

The long and short of it is that Intel's monopoly in a post-AMD world will not be broken up by the procurement engine. That'll be up to anti-trust law. We're hosed here in the US, and maybe if the EU's hard-on for ripping on Google subsides, they'll move on to other fish, including Intel.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What are you upgrading from?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Schedulers do exactly what hypervisors have been doing since the dawn of VMs at a hardware level invisible to the system. If you don't have significant load on more than 4 jobs on a four- thread cpu, you see no increased benefit with 5 or more cores.

With scheduling, a hypothetical game written with a billion tiny concurrent threads will simply run in N many of cores available in a queue. If a game with four significant threads is loaded up on a dual core, it'll still work, generally, as the scheduler switches jobs across the two cores intelligently. The limit in scaling out game performance to take advantage of core multiplicity lies in software design limitations: more often than not, one or two threads have significantly larger footprints than the others, creating a bottleneck.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

No electronic device will keep our failing students from destroying America. The arguement is pointless.

Edit: Back on topic, my roommate's brother found a way to get a 6700k at a decent price: having my roommate buy one and ship it back from a conference trip in Osaka.

This thing is disappointing compared to 4790k. I know that is no surprise, but drat, it's frustrating to watch someone go through what adds up to be a colossal waste of money.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 30, 2015

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lowen SoDium posted:

I would only say it's a 'colossal waste of money' if he paid much more than the MSRP of the chip.

Got it for MSRP! They are much more available in Japan right now, which was the whole idea.

The "colossal waste" notion stems from the fact that even Ivy Bridge stands up well against the 6700k, and his system is a relatively-new, memory-OC'd 4790k build. I get hyperenthusiasts feeling like they HAVE to be on the latest generation, but there just....there aren't any significant gains yet, even for someone motivated by the already-narrow performance increases between past generations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rastor, is that a debate more suited for the laptop thread?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I learned today he is actually trying to throw money down a hole. This is his express purpose. We're going car shopping later :homebrew:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

More competition in the compute market would be awesome, but God help me if I have to start supporting multiple architectures or start staving off devs who want to build their cloud stack on ARM.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Heres how to find out.

Look up the graphics on the cpu
http://ark.intel.com/m/products/88202/Intel-Core-m5-6Y54-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-2_70-GHz#@product/specifications

HD 515. Cool. Google "hd 515 h.265"
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-515.149941.0.html

Hardware decode for h.265 / hvec!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Now it is official? What was Broadwell, then?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mobby_6kl posted:

I have an unexplainable itch to upgrade the sandy dual core i7 in my laptop to a proper quad i7. Does anyone know what's the fastest one that can be crammed into a Lenovo T520? It's a socket 988B rPGA and using the QM67 chipset.

Do you have any reason other than the itch to proceed?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Captain Hair posted:

And of course being on ddr2 will slow things down somewhat, I'm on 8gb of 1066mhz which I got waaaay back when I was on a core2duo and was amazed to find 8gb still the standard all these years later. Iirc I used to use the same 8gb of ram as a ram - drive, which I guess was kinda like having ssd speeds before ssd s existed. Was interesting times.

I can remember gawking at Microsoft's recommended 4GB of ram for Vista. At the time, I was on a 256MB orange Apple clamshell and a hackintosh xserver with 2GB. I don't know if I could characterize 8GB as the standard back with C2D. Perhaps for hyper enthusiasts, much like how 32GB is a goal for a lot of ultraenthusiasts now?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I need to look at market share stats, but I think xp pro 64 was and is pretty popular.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I like small cases. A lot.

That case is giving me a severe case of :gizz:

My wife and I are buying a new PC and I'm juggling the value of $30 in the price difference between i5 6500 and 6600. Graaaaaah.

It's not that money is an issue -- it's a matter of principle (bang vs buck).

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

blowfish posted:

Flip a coin because wasting time on deciding whether to spend an insignificant amount of money by itself lowers your bang:buck ratio.

Coin flip says purge the unclean 6500.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rare metals often sourced from locations with endless war, monstrously toxic chemicals with expensive storage and disposal, delicate multi-million-dollar fabrication gas chambers or etchers or whatever else in rows upon rows upon rows...

If you ever get a chance to tour a fabrication facility's floor, take it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Finding prime numbers of 2n-1 form? :downs:

Seriously though, is prime95 a good benchmark for any kind of performance other than thermal load?

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 9, 2016

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Windows Server 2016 is the only Hyper-V system with pci passthrough, and it is in young age.

Windows VDI workstation resources are really meant to be used with RemoteFX, which is a graphics adapter for Hyper-V VMs that actually implements calls to a host's own graphics adapter. This differs from GRID on Xen or VMware, where the host exposes fractions of available hardware directly to each guest. VMware's host-mediated solution is poo poo because their drivers for guests are poo poo, hence the drive for nvidia to develop the directly-exposed hardware option.

Problem for you: RemoteFX is Enterprose-only with Software Assurance active, so that's volume-licensing territory only. Win Server 2016 will be expensive as gently caress.

Go the vmware route of you want to have multiple local consoles for gaming. If you need remote gaming consoles, you'll need VMware + expensive Nvidia Quatro cards or a poo poo AMD card. If you want to use non-AMD-poo poo, non-gouging-priced Nvidia cards for remote VDI, you will need to use KVM as it is capable of, with a lot of work, preventing a GTX card from discovering that it is on a virtualized pci bus.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is anyone even making 3.1 front panels that aren't just attached by 19pin usb 3.0?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dual 4.20K monitors man. Muh immersion.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

blowfish posted:

Buy better graphics and bigger SSDs instead of new CPUs.

Particularly with Pascal out, this is solid advice.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What do you call a man with no arms, no legs, and is squeezed between two metal plates?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SuperDucky posted:

My customers in the embedded segment are super stoked about the triple 4k outputs provided by the proc on Sky/Kaby without having to add a dedicated GPU FWIW.

But will any mobo manufacturer put three hdmi/dp outputs on their poo poo?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

EdEddnEddy posted:

And in a way isn't Tech stuff, enterprise or otherwise, usually bought and then used until it practically falls apart in a lot of Government? Cost a lot at the start, and even more in the long run to support a system 20+ years past its EoL date?

You might be conflating user workstations and configuration-managed systems like ewar suites.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Its also helping me justify going for higher-end SKUs as they will remain high end for, well, at least half a decade at this point.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

FPGA talk :jackbud:

I implemented a ps/2 keyboard and vga console once. The rest of this is in one ear, out the other :confused:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

BIG HEADLINE posted:

For those of you who might not check the PC Building thread, Microcenter's just kind of broken the bank in regards to Skylake processor pricing:

6600K for $179.99: http://www.microcenter.com/product/451885/Core_i5-6600K_SkyLake_35GHz_1151_Boxed_Processor
6700K for $259.99: http://www.microcenter.com/product/451883/Core_i7-6700K_SkyLake_40GHz_LGA_1151_Boxed_Processor
6800K for $329.99: http://www.microcenter.com/product/463393/Core_i7-6800K_Broadwell_34GHz_LGA_2011-3_Boxed_Processor

And this is before the extra $30 for buying with a bundled motherboard.

Shutfvuk, wow.

Welp, I think I'm getting a 6600k + 1060 this year.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Only ASRock ever made an ITX X99 board, and damned if it isn't the busiest board I've ever seen:

I hope whoever managed that got a closer parking space. Christ.

My god, the silk screen text crammed in between the dimm slots for components cm away.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Putting x99 in mini itx is restrictive in the first place, so we're already in a use case where someone isn't after the full feature set of the platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I've never done straight CPU benchmarks before. I have a bigass shiny new m630 poweredge that I want to stress out and am wondering....

Is Prime95 still a good way to stress out a 40-core server? Or are there better programs for quickly testing / loading a windows server with high core count?