Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/07/24/intel-skylake-processors-leaked-slides/

I don't think this was posted since it seems to be published a few hours ago

quote:

The leaked slides reveal that Skylake processors will provide a 10%-20% CPU performance boost in single and multi-threaded applications, with lower power consumption, and 30% faster Intel HD integrated graphics performance on average compared to current-generation Broadwell processors. The improved energy efficiency will also result in up to 30% longer battery life.

If true does this mean waiting for Skylake is a much better idea than most thought? Or am I a bigger idiot than I thought and this means nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

movax posted:

I was checking around for BIOS updates on my work T430s (Ivy Bridge) and lo and behold, there was one from last month to "Support Windows 10" and patch a DRAM Row Hammer vulnerability (which I have no idea what they did -- I can see them modifying the MRC in the BIOS if Intel pushed a new release of that, or playing games with timings / caching / page tables, maybe Jawn or someone has a better idea). That reminded me to see if anything was around for my P8P67 PRO and of course not, last update was in 2012.

Wonder if there will be some irritating, minor ACPI / EFI related bugs/glitches when I toss Windows 10 onto that machine. I figure for Lenovo, they want the trusted platform stuff, CompuTrace, AMT and other enterprise/business-class features to keep working, though I guess they could have also not done anything so corporate fleets would have to get new machines.

Could be unrelated but almost every mobo has BIOS updates in the last two months because the UEFI needs updated for PCIE SSDs

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

So I've never actually been around / paying attention to a new CPU/socket release, how does it normally go down? Like say at the Gamescon thing in Germany is the 8th, do they announce they're now on sale and suddenly Amazon/Newegg are selling them immediately, or do they slowly trickle start to trickle out from that date? And it's only i7 processors at first, right? Is it the normal i7's or only the Extremes?

Botnit fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 25, 2015

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

I refuse to buy a Skylake over this

#NotMYskylake

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

You guys were lucky, all the boxes I remember having as a kid were the poo poo from nightmares

Also http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-s-lineup-list-price-i7-6700k-313-i5-6600k-225/

According to supposed reputable source price for 6700k is $313, $225 for 6600k. Seems good to me.

Botnit fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 4, 2015

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Asked in the parts thread but this seems better, is the only announced z170 mATX board coming out the ECS Blade? If it is I just hosed up my whole build because there's no way I'm buying an ECS board :negative:

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

The hell do the CPUs usually go on sale first? I just keep checking Newegg/Amazon every few hours and that's annoying.

Could at least offer me an auto-notify button to throw my money down the toilet :argh:

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Managed to get the first Maximus VIII Gene on Amazon but now stuck without the 6700k.

Almost gave in and got one from the UK for 80% markup, there's one on Amazon for the same from Israel but he only indicates in the shipping page that it will ship next month. Basically a scam at that point.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

I first thought about this one, mainly because every month would have Romero columns talking poo poo about everybody in it, then they gave her a column rebuttal, it was a very weird feeling being barely a teenager and having enough self awareness to realize "this should be really professionally inappropriate".

Botnit fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 10, 2015

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

I'm barely resisting getting gouged $200 buying the 6700K overseas, I have every other piece of the PC staring at me ready to be built, why must you do this to me Intel :(

14th seems to be the day 6600K's are getting mass released, but I haven't seen any sites saying the same about the 6700. :negative:

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Newegg has the 6600K's in stock for $249.

Still no date set for the 6700's :negative:

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Now Amazon has the 6600K

6700K remains an elusive, mysterious white whale that I'll never live to see.

Edit: decided to do a test build without the CPU just to make sure everything fit and the Noctua DH15 blocks the GPU in a Maximus VIII Gene :negative:

Edit edit: Aug 31st is the date some sites are reporting getting the 6700's in stock. The 14th was what I saw from these same sites getting the 6600's and it was right, so 31st is probably going to turn out right too. Two more weeks until I can finish my build :smith:

Botnit fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 15, 2015

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

How long do you think it'll be before we start getting 3.1 external HDD's? There's literally no reason I got such an expensive z170 mobo except for 3.1 even though I don't even have a guestimate for how long it'll be before I end up using it.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

DrDork posted:

What would be the point? Unless you're talking external SSDs, USB 3.0 / Gen 1 is already way faster than the HDD attached to it. I could see wanting USB C for the reversible connector, but I wonder if they could just attach that to an existing USB 3.0 chipset.

For being able to get rid of all the wall adapters I have running to all of them since 3.1 would surely be the default of having them all powered that way, instead of "ultra portable" 3.0 versions that are usually smaller capacity and more expensive on top of it.

I gots too many drat wall adapter wires running all over the place here.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

:stare: How many hard drives are we talking about here, and how many GBs cumulative total? External SSDs also happen to be low-power enough just like "ultra portable" hard drives that don't need to plug into an external power source. They're also not expensive anymore, though that's relatively speaking depending on your answer to my curiosity.

7 HD's, a little over 20TB total data. Most 'ultra portable' or 'go' version HDD's I've seen are max 1-2 TB while AC adapter ones are up to 8 TB now. It's not a life threatening inconvenience since they're all hidden behind an entertainment shelf for my HPTC but it'd still be nice not having as many fire hazards back there.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

go3 posted:

um yeah thats a pretty horrible way to go about getting a bunch of storage

My HTPC storage is not on trial here!

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

mayodreams posted:

I can't tell you how many external enclosures I saw fail when I worked for a film school. Those things, especially the USB powered 'go' drives, are complete poo poo and will die on on you. Period. If you are lucky, they will leave the data intact on the drive. However, the GO drives typically do not have a SATA connection on the drive which means you are hosed if the enclosure shits the bed.

We are just trying to look out for your data.

I know, I was just making a John Oliver joke about British dentistry.

The stuff I have on them isn't important, it's just HTPC stuff that I keep instead of deleting because of a 3 day bandwidth limit of 20gb, so any time I download something to watch I keep it. My only other options at this point are to open up those HDD's like Vulgar said and hope I can salvage them by putting them in a NAS or replacing them with much bigger internals, but 8TB internals on Newegg are $500+ (except a Seagate that apparently has a huge failure rate) so that'd be $750 to $1,500 to replace what I have now.

I didn't just go out and buy a poo poo load of HDD's at one time to do this, I've just been adding them over the years as I fill one up. I'd ideally prefer to replace them when/if 3.1 external HDD's come out and power themselves, then I could just get three 10TB's, free up more space and lose a poo poo load of wires, but it's not that important to me since I don't actually see any of them in an entertainment shelf.

I can't rule out I'll end up causing the next California wildfire though.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Couldn't take waiting for the 6700 anymore and got a 6600, probably use it until 6700's are either abundant or wait for an extreme version or a refresh. Paired it with a Maximus Hero because I'm subhuman garbage who wastes money.

Also newegg eggpoints have to be the dumbest promotion I've ever seen. Almost nothing they sell gives them, what does give them gives you almost none, they're almost completely worthless if you do have them, and they have to be spent within 90 days.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

LiquidRain posted:

so I got him the i7-6700k.

How did you get him a 6700k, you son of a bitch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

All the Japanese/Chinese stores I found were just con games, charging $500+ for it but wouldn't ship for a month, like on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B012M8LXQW/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new . You add it to your cart and go through the process before checkout and it goes to "usually ships within 7 to 15 days" and a delivery time of "from 1 to 4 weeks". You also can't buy one on Japan Amazon and have it sent to the US. The European sites like OverclockersUK won't accept outside EU shipping addresses for CPU's for some dumb reason.

Update: motherfucker newegg has 6700k in stock, but only for combo purchases. God drat, I think I'm going to end up selling my 6600k unopened in SA Mart for $50 less. Shouldn't be long before they're sold out of combos.

Botnit fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 22, 2015