Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Hughmoris posted:

:hfive:

6700K crew checking in. I've been running this setup for 5+ years now and I think I can get a bit more out of it if I find a reasonable upgrade for my Nvidia 970.

6700k and GTX1060 for lyfe :( (literally)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Gwaihir posted:

A full power 64c Epyc clocks in 280w, but that's about it I think. Desktop stuff like the 5800x peaks at 140w.

with 5x scaling and PBO i got my 5800x CPU package power to 183W (cinebench for like 12hours to test the new system, oversized custom loop).

Modern CPUs can consume hilarious amounts of power, good to see that that wont change too fast.

Inept posted:

the 65W part continuously consuming 270W is even more funny. I don't think AMD has anything that bad

+1, thats kinda insane

AutismVaccine fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 8, 2021

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Paul MaudDib posted:

AMD already has juiced the gently caress out of their CPUs, 7nm just doesn’t scale that well on clocks. They could pour on the power and it would still only be 1-5% faster plus they’d also have a bunch of warranty failures in a couple years.

Yeah, its kinda hilarious how much power they take when on a decent custom loop. I am looking forward how much the new Intels will burn when unleashed.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

mobby_6kl posted:

I thought it was the 5600 since it wasn't significantly cheaper than the 5800 but lacked two cores but I never looked into it too much

The upside of the 5800x is that is has the same cores as the new console generation, so for gaming it is really the max you need.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

BurritoJustice posted:

I saw 400W at 1.44v~, 5.3GHz all core on an overclocking forum. They'd also juiced the E-cores into the 4GHz+ range

Holy christ, need to google that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Ihmemies posted:

In more advanced countries this has been the norm for quite some time.

Nah, the future are clearly 3phase 400V 16A outlets, going full triangle. 1p 230v is so 2000s.

AutismVaccine fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 21, 2024