Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Hi I am excited for what tiger lake will do for Ultrabooks and probably tablets

Where can I go to learn more about whatever info there is on these chips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Is that related to the max turbo 3.0 stuff I see on next gen stuff ?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Maybe they'll sell it for $29.99

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

LRADIKAL posted:

Isn't that card basically a stand in for where they want their integrated graphics to be for this generation? It doesn't have any PCI-E power plugs, so it can't be pulling more than 75 watts. This doesn't seem like a complete failure. If they can integrate it with reasonable power draw, it'll be good for the low end gamer.

That is my assumption as well. Doing this as a separate unit makes sense to get telemetry etc probably. Develop drivers and watch how this poo poo interacts w poo poo.

These will be cheap or never seen in that form by consumers

I don't think they're trying to get into the traditional dgpu sphere. Probably just the low end and compute type stuff I would guess, as a rank amateur

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I have been saying for years that not having iGPUs from either camp that can routinely do what a 750ti can is a goddamn travesty. Maybe we'll finally see that in the next two or three years.

Is the consumer desktop segment the least important segment now? I assume its the high end stuff and the mobile being the big things people would care about at this point, the stuff that drives innovation right?

I assume the fact that I use a desktop the same way my dad did when he was 33 puts me squarely in the minority (not in this forum/sub forum)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Y'all see this thing about the 28w chip

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15302/intel-28-w-ice-lake-core-i71068g7-coming-q1

I feel like a 28w chip with whatever their dgpu evolves into might be a decent type of all in one

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

man if i had gotten rid of my trust ol asrock z97 for nothing i would be the one melting down

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Demostrs posted:

lol even the igpus on intel processors are getting kneecapped

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel-gen7-hit&num=4

Yeah before anybody clicks out of huge concern , the big hits are to broadwell and haswell era chips, basically

Which can no longer render some text or play q3 on integrated lmao

The headline I first read said "Intel G7 graphics" which they meant as...haswell. ofc I assumed they meant icelake mobile sku at first and lold/cried

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

priznat posted:

I googled that, oh noooo

Turn on your monitor

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

movax posted:

Jesus, that part number made me flashback to one of my first jobs developing a fan controller for those 40 mm fuckers. FFB0412VHN, FFB0412UHN, I definitely have part number autism.

my man let me VINtroduce you to a whole new level of autism

ah man it hit me in all the right places when I realized I could learn so much about a vehicle by reading the VIN

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Intel made a solid amd advertisement

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Intel: This AMD product has a 5 in it, which you can't trust because its a 5 and that means its old

Intel: this is an i5, which you can trust, because it has a 5 in it, which means its the latest

source: intel dot com

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

when the devils can't

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

RYZEN 5 ZEN 4 8 THREAD 3 SOME

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

-U

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

It's one of the worst things I've ever seen a company do marketing wise. It actively makes their competition look better by simply them being not the ones that released whatever that is.

Also they hammer home constantly how the latest isn't even good necessarily but then tell you to buy Intel's latest lmao

They took a horrible idea then executed the horrible idea poorly and contradicted themselves.

It's so bad, otoh, Intel finally gave me something to talk about

Intel should just tell people it was meant as a private joke not meant for release, or a now fired intern was just getting practice making presentations.

Or make up a cooler lie and say that an ARC GPU ai designed it

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

It's all over YouTube and I'm sure it's easy to find in it's entirety elsewhere, I'm sure there's like 4000 reddit places with it

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I think you will find that latest doesn’t always mean best, unless it’s an i5 from intel, which means best because it’s the latest

It’s that simple

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

intel actually living by the latest not being the greatest and not telling anybody their new processor series dropped is at least honest

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

until the reboot in a few years

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

everybody is edging these days, the word is losing its meaning

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

at what point is the NUC really new still tho

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Well, like intel said. New doesn’t always mean best

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I started playing wow on an AMD athlon 2100+ 💀

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Shipon posted:

Yeah my crappy apartment has one circuit for the entire living room and the window AC unit is there. I just don't turn it on and game without pants on instead of turning the AC on (saves a lot on power too IMO)

I got a commercial fan and keep my AC set to 79 or so and that was a good compromise of comfort and energy use I thought

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Twerk from Home posted:

I've got one more thought: Is there a motherboard vendor or product line that one can buy to have it Just Work at stock settings, including Intel's turbo as designed?

doesnt intel sell locked processors still

also for less money lol

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

it doesnt seem logical that a locked CPU would prohibit XMP profiles on RAM to me tbh

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

theyre gonna have u subscribe to your CPU monthly, trust me

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Potato Salad posted:

that has already happened

you should apply for management work at intel, they'll give you good pay for aggressive ideas like that

what CPU are they charging montly subs for that are comparable to the ones we're talking about?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i went for power efficiency and then undervolted my new build because even though the extra few dozen watts dont necessarily directly translate into a huger power bill, they directly contribute to needing additional climate control for me, which is a substantive expense

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I'm waiting for NVidia to "allow" people to upgrade DLSS versions across card generations for a scaling fee depending on which card you have

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i got this little 2-1/detachable tablet to mess around with, it has a 10th gen i5 in it. i understand it has locked voltages etc, but i can still disable turbo and put a multiplier limit on it if i want right?

i used throttlestop to try this situationally while using it for some older games and it seems like its working as expected

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

repiv posted:

turning a big dial taht says "amps" on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1778920540901941482

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

u converted that post into a laugh