Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay, guess I'll ask here. Despite being a CompSci guy I'm hopeless with hardware and I know I'll sound stupid, but I wanted to get more informed about an Intel CPU thing.

What the gently caress are exactly e-cores in 12th Gen and above Intel CPUs? From what I can gather they're related to thread scheduling optimization or something. Can their behavior be manipulated in the BIOS without it being a permanent thing or something? Basically from what I can gather they are the reason my i7-12700KF CPU is having issues with some games cause they're coded like poo poo and don't handle their behaviour properly and wanted to know if there was something I could directly do to help without relying on external programs messing with CPU behaviors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Quick and concise, thanks a lot! Being more specific, it seems to be an issue on 12th and 13th gen Intel CPUs with some Koei-Temco games and others that use the same engine, that seems it keeps switching threads between P and E cores so it stutters constantly despite having no trouble running the game otherwise. Cause no other game has done that for me and I usually play beefier games with 8 browser tabs open lol.

I guess if Process Lasso is safe and the options I want are in the free version that's my solution. I'm not one of those insane schizos who are still running Windows 7 but I'd prefer for more kinks to be ironed out and more compatibility being tested before moving from 10 to 11. also I can use my dad as a canary, if he of all people updates there's no reason for me not to

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Klyith posted:

CPU scheduling: :iiam:

Process Lasso is def safe, really it's just a nice UI on standard windows functions that control CPU affinity. You can do this in task manager or command line if you wanted.

lol yeah, my hardware nitty-gritty knwoledge is pretty lacking but I did have to brush up scheduling and paging and boy do these rocks we tricked into doing tasks show their roots sometimes. I did try to tinker on task manager but all I got was getting the game to run worse lmao. I'll give it a try then.

Klyith posted:

As for Win11, what I would say is, you're gonna have to move to 11 in 2025 anyways so it's worth thinking about the options.

FWIW, as someone who switched to linux on my main machine rather than use 11, I don't think compatibility is an issue. Anything that works on 10 should work on 11, they didn't change that much under the hood. The problems are not "this OS is new and hasn't had the kinks ironed out". They are "MS is looking for new and exciting ways to monetize the OS and doesn't care how annoying they are". And that's unlikely to change in the next year.
linux is pretty rad these days

Yeah, by ironing out the kinks I meant "pray Microsoft gets bullied into unshittifying the OS a little" :v:. I guess Linux for gaming is much better these days thanks to the Steam Deck if anything, but Windows will still feel like the default for anything else.

...I do have to brush up my linux, I think I haven't used it since university?