Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I know I don't have QuickSync but drat is encoding videos with Handbrake on my 2500 fast. For the first time in a long time I'm actually contemplating ripping and encoding my DVD collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Q skews are typically aimed at business/corporate environments

Looking at that chart, it looks like you get "PCI support", which I guess means you get PCI from CPT instead of some third party PCIe<->PCI bridge.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 16, 2011

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Factory Factory posted:

The fix: Boot to a Windows install DVD in UEFI mode and schedule a memory diagnostic on reboot. Reboot, cancel memory diagnostic, and then Windows loaded properly again, and the BIOS has the proper Windows UEFI bootloader entry again.

Same thing happened to me with my Intel DH67BL. The repair option wouldn't work with my disc, told me the DVD wouldn't work with the version of Windows I had installed. The USB key I had worked though.

It ended up making a another entry in my boot manager which didn't work, but I was able to get rid of that with msconfig.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Factory Factory posted:

Eh, this is a bit late, but are you sure you booted to UEFI mode? Windows 7 DVDs can boot in legacy BIOS mode and also into a hooked-into-UEFI mode, complete with 2.2+ TB support and all that jazz. I had the same thing when I booted to the disc in BIOS mode, just had to boot it the other way.

Yeah making sure I turned UEFI on in the BIOS was the first thing I tried when I couldn't boot off my SSD.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

My DH67BL boots really fast now. The latest BIOS has some things you can turn off to increase boot-time. You can even disable USB devices during boot to speed it up even more but I think that borders on ridiculous.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

No one here cares about the 3D transistors in the upcoming Ivy Bridge?
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/04/intel-will-mass-produce-22nm-3d-transistors-for-all-future-cpus/

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm swapping my CPU out and want to replace my old Arctic Freezer Pro while I'm at it. Anyone have a good heatsink recommendation? I want something that doesn't require me to install a different bracket on the backside of the motherboard, isn't too loud, and isn't too tall (Sythetec Ninja barely fits in this case). These requirements seems to rule out most of what I'm looking at.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

They were yapping something about "overly increased" latencies due to larger packet sizes and what not, interfering with general audio playback, introducing clicks and such.

Never struck me as honest reasoning either way, seeing that they'd be going from a shared lower speed bus to a dedicated high speed link.

Creative Labs PCI sound cards used to be terrible with this on those old VIA AMD motherboards and the two would just point fingers at each other.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I've swapped out those push-pin heatsinks hundreds of times and I don't understand the problem people have with them. You have to either have the pins in a locked position or not have the holes lined up for anywhere near that much force to be necessary. Or maybe the stock heatsinks are not as terrible as other brands

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Agreed posted:

I suspect but don't know for sure that it's a combination of slight tolerance differences with motherboard makers and heat sink makers; the only issue I had with the LGA775 cooler (after market, AC Freezer Pro 7) was that it did bend the motherboard slightly on installing it (before mounting the motherboard to the standoffs). I was much better prepared for that when I swapped it over last week to the 212+ (which didn't flex it nearly as much, either, thanks to the mounting bracket distributing the force much better), but installing the AC back in 2008 and seeing the motherboard flex while knowing that it's got tons of thin metal traces running all through it was pretty scary.

The AC Freezer Pro 7 uses a different mounting scheme than Intel's pushpin one.

quote:

it was not difficult to install, much easier than Intel's finicky stock cooler from that time period. Nice, firm lock into place, no screwdriver required for any of it, big plastic knobs to turn to open and close the retention clips...

You actually just described the Intel stock heatsink.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Locks firm in place, no screw driver required, big plastic knobs to open and close...that is exactly what the stock heat sink has. I have used the same heatsink on my Yorkfield system, I liked my AC Pro Freezer 7 but I don't understand how it's so much easier to setup or more fool proof when it has a bunch of loose pieces and a "fits on any socket if you use the right pins and line the mounting bracket up correctly" design.

The stock heatsink isn't a great performer or anything. But it does the job and after swapping them out hundreds of times I do not understand why people have problems with it. Hell, its the only heatsink I've worked with where I can put it on or take it off with one hand and not even have to have a clear view of it.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 10, 2011

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I don't know about 7-series, but 6-series didn't drop PCI support it was just limited to Q-sku chipsets.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Anandtech has some IVB info
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4763/ivy-bridge-gpu-performance-up-to-60-faster-than-snb-better-quicksync

quote:

Ivy Bridge's GT2 configuration has 16 EUs, no word on how many the GT1 configuration will have. As a result Intel is expecting a 60% increase in 3DMark Vantage scores (Performance Preset) and a 30% increase in 3DMark '06 scores. IVB GT1 on the other hand will only see performance increase by 10 - 20%. If we look at the 3DMark Vantage data from our Llano notebook review, a 60% increase in performance over SNB would put Ivy Bridge's GPU performance around that of AMD's A8. It remains to be seen how well this translates into actual gaming performance though.

The other information about Ivy Bridge's GPU has been known for a while: DX11, OpenCL 1.1 and OpenGL 3.1 will all be supported. The last tidbit we have is that Quick Sync performance is apparently much improved. Intel is privately claiming up to 2x better performance than Sandy Bridge in accelerated video transcoding or lesser gains but improved image quality. The performance improvements only apply to GT2 IVB configurations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

:lol:

There is literally no good time to have Intel stock. Trust me, this poo poo never moves.

Remember when we announced the best year in company history last year? Yeah that stock bump of a buck lasted a week maybe.

The stock goes up to maybe $24+ after record earnings and generous dividends are announced. Then a couple of weeks later it goes back down like nothing happened.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Alereon posted:

AMD recently fired their CEO, and the new CEO fired the General Manager of the Products Group, now I guess we know why (though a lack of mobile strategy was the general reason cited for firing the CEO).

Those guys got a tremendous amount of sympathy from all the enthusiasts and pundits at the time. I wonder how much they would have gotten if they were fired after these reviews.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

People say their C2Ds are still more than enough for them but I would kill for an upgrade of my Cantiga laptop at work

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Alereon posted:

A Cantiga system should be reasonably snappy as long as you've got at least 4GB of RAM, are running Windows 7 64-bit, have the latest Intel drivers (especially graphics drivers), and are using a GPU-accelerated web browser (Firefox 7.0 for example). If you're running Windows XP or 32-bit Windows because that's what your company uses, or your OEM doesn't offer the current Intel graphics drivers and hardware acceleration is blacklisted for you, performance goes to poo poo. Using a non-MS Antivirus program will also murder performance, especially on marginal systems where the impact the harddrive throughput and CPU load makes a huge difference. On a work laptop the AV may not be something you can control, but a poor choice easily means a system that should run fine is painfully slow. Laptops using 5400rpm harddrives is also a pet peeve of mine, but unfortunately common. SSDs can make a lot more sense in laptops since 2.5" harddrives are so much slower than their 3.5" desktop equivalents, and you don't often need the same volume of storage.

Sorry I have an SSD in there but between PGP and the bevy of IT related software that I have to have installed, it's remarkable slow and sluggish at times. And this is with Nvidia graphics. Battery life is lovely as well.

It takes longer to bring it out of standby than it does to bring my desktop out of S5 :psyduck:

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 23, 2011

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

WardeL posted:

All this talk about motherboards is making me rethink my decision. I was recommended this one:
ASRock H61M-GS LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

I was a bit wary about such a good price but was told not to write it off just because it was cheap. It seems no different from the more expensive Extreme3 Gen3 (which was my first choice) except it has no PCI slots, but I don't have any PCI cards anyway. Is this board going to be okay?

The H61 chipset doesn't have SATA 6Gbps, which you might not care about at all

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/12302/

quote:

Intel has formally announced a new program called the Performance Tuning Protection Plan (PTPP), which provides full warranty protection for select “K”, “X”, and LGA2011-socketed boxed processors processors no matter how you kill it. This is in addition to your standard 3 year warranty. In other words, if it fails under normal usage, Intel will replace it under the standard warranty; if it fails while running outside of Intel's specifications, Intel will replace it under the Performance Tuning Protection Plan. The plan pricing and supported processors include:

Intel Core i5-2500K - $20.00
Intel Core i7-2600K - $25.00
Intel Core i7-2700K - $25.00
Intel Core i7-3930K - $35.00
Intel Core i7-3960X - $35.00

haha this is going to be awesome. The flood gates of stupid will be opened now that people have this kind of safety net.

And finally Intel offers something that the extreme community won't bitch about!

edit - Oh never mind it's not that generous :(

quote:

Exclusions to Coverage. This Plan does NOT cover:

Any costs associated with the removal of the Eligible Processor and/or installation of the replacement, including without limitation, labor, damages to the system, downtime, or any consequential costs incurred by you, and in particular, any costs related to the removal or replacement of any Eligible Processor that is soldered or otherwise permanently affixed to any printed circuit board; OR
Damage to the Eligible Processor due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing; OR
Any Eligible Processor which has been modified or where the original proprietary markings (trademark, logo or serial number) have been removed, altered or obliterated from the Eligible Processor; OR
Damage to any other component(s) within the system housing the Eligible Processor or the replacement processor.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 20, 2012

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I tried convincing the validation guys to mine Bitcoins as part of their testing. Either they ignored me...or they are rich beyond their wildest dreams.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

doomisland posted:

Ke$ha should do a rendition of her song and call it Tock Tick and make it about Intel's product line.

Intel blew its budget on will.i.am and that Korean female pop group.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

text editor posted:

e2: or find one of these adapters for 4x/8x/16x and mod it like they do and put a 16x card in it

http://www.kegetys.fi/forum/index.php?topic=752.0

Dear lord, I've tested dongles which much shorter length than that which had pretty lovely electrical characteristics. I'd hate to see what those are like

These are much less lovely and doesn't require cutting anything
http://www.startech.com/PCI-Express-x1-to-Low-Profile-x16-Slot-Extension-Adapter~PEX1TO16

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Chuu posted:

The x16 version and x1->x16 versions of these were being used very heavily by the bitcoin mining community to max out the number of GPUs they could put in a single computer. In fact, when trying to find any stats at all about the reliability of these things, I couldn't find a single reference to their use outside of bitcoin mining.

Hey it's only correctable errors anyway who cares. And ASPM, why would bitcoiners even deal with that.

Have any of those guys ever explored using a full-fledged PCIe expansion system? They are pricier than those poo poo dongles but I figured cost was no option to them.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

SemiAccurate article on Xeon Phi (you guys remember Larrabee right?!)
http://semiaccurate.com/2012/11/13/what-will-intel-xeon-phi-do-to-the-gpgpu-market/

It's Charlie, so take it with a grain of salt, but he's hyping the gently caress out of it.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Factory Factory posted:

I'm waiting for some real benchmarks before I pass judgment between it and GPGPU, though.

They let people do some hands on tests with it and from the sound of it, the "It Just Works" stuff is mostly true.

I'd assume the performance comparisons rely hugely on how well code is written to run on a GPGPU.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Chuu posted:

I agree that this is probably not as big of a deal as most people are making, but it feels like the endcap on the desktop era.

I remember when I was a TA'ing a computer science course and was blown away that none of the freshman knew what the internet was like pre-google. In another couple years I would bet we're going to get the first crop of students who have never owned a desktop.

We're entering an era where all the new engineering students just have smart phones and tablets and never have done any actual work or tinkering around on their own

In my day we didn't have app stores and if you wanted something done you'd just write a drat program yourself to do it :mad:

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 29, 2012

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

FPGA's with millions of gates

That just makes students soft

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Looks like I'm only buying Asus now since now one else seems to use the onboard Intel GBE controller

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I think I remember a handful of people with HD Homerun Primes having to upgrade their NICs because the Realteks on their board were garbage and they were getting artifacting and stuttering. It's not a common thing though.

And I'm assuming those Realteks have crappy power management. Gotta save those precious milliwatts

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 25, 2013

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Grim Up North posted:

Wait what, how will overclocking boards differentiate themselves (from regular Z87 boards) now?

More PCIe and (3rd party) SATA ports and heatsinks that looks like ninja stars!!!!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

powercfg -energy can give you a report on your system, or just run -requests. I had a network share that was keeping my HTPC from sleeping once.

Also C6/C7 and S3 are different things

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Intel is just going to put bath salts in there to piss everyone off.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

Otellini announced he was retiring back in November, oddly timed since he could have gone a couple more years if memory serves. His reasoning was along the lines of there's a Big Decision about the future of Intel that the next CEO will have to live with the consequences of for their entire tenure and he didn't want to make it for them. I no longer work for the company, but I'm still not sure how much of that is public or not so apologies on being vague.

I'm a little surprised they went with Krzanich, the incredibly safe choice of promoting the current COO. The very possibility of an outside hire, even if "outside" meant Pat Gelsinger, was really interesting. I think I'm trying to read a lot more into the phrase "open-minded approach to problem solving" than was intended, but he might have tipped his hand on that Big Decision.

I just assumed that Paul stepping down was do to Intel missing the mobile boat and being really late to the game. That's just me guessing with no actual information or anything.

And boring CEO choice where is my stock pop :mad: I'm assuming that picking a guy with TMG experience is an indication of where the company is going and/or what they plan on doing

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 2, 2013

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Gelsinger said he was happy where he was at, so Intel might not have even had the chance
http://www.businessinsider.com/pat-gelsinger-says-no-to-intel-ceo-job-2013-3

quote:

I’m flattered, of course, to be considered for running such a great company as Intel. But I’m happy in my role at VMware and hope to be doing it for many years to come.

quote:

There were monumental shifts to correct course there. The board was surely aware of the justifications stretching back to when Xscale was sold off and I don't think they'd hold it against him.

It seems like a lot of time was lost just spinning wheels when Anand Chandrasekher was promising phones and a lot of time and opportunity was lost when Atom was just getting minor tweaks here and there. But that's a completely uneducated, uninformed opinion.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 2, 2013

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

roadhead posted:

Direct revenue from these chips might be small, but the name recognition could help push APU laptop sales at retail. Knowing that your potential new machine has the "same" guts as the PS4/new XbOX would possibly sell quite a few machines to the uneducated.

ATI had a logo on the Gamecube and I'm not sure anyone cared

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Speculation on FINANCIAL BLOGS!! is that you should get it soon
http://seekingalpha.com/article/1436891-intel-what-s-going-on-with-haswell?source=yahoo

quote:

Intel (INTC) is officially releasing its new Haswell CPU chips for PCs at Computex in Taiwan on June 4-8.
Something different is happening with Haswell. By the time of the product release, Haswell will have been shipping, presumably in high volume, to PC manufacturers for two months. The expectation is the Haswell-based personal computers will be available, off the shelf, on the date of release

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ryokurin posted:

More than likely, the first batches will have the bug as a chipset, not processor revision is needed to fix. Since it's only affecting S3 sleep it's not a showstopper so it probably will be dealt with only if the end user complains.

I believe one of the reports, that most people seemed to ignore, was that it effected only certain devices too

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

In "yeah Intel hosed up with mobile" news
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/intels-outgoing-ceo-says-passed-114807177.html

quote:

When Apple was working on a prototype for the first iPhone, it approached Intel about making the processor for the device. But Intel passed on the opportunity because it didn't make sense financially, Otellini told Alexis Madrigal of The Atlantic in an interview published Thursday.
"At the end of the day, there was a chip that they were interested in that they wanted to pay a certain price for and not a nickel more and that price was below our forecasted cost. I couldn't see it," Otellini told Madrigal. "It wasn't one of these things you can make up on volume. And in hindsight, the forecasted cost was wrong and the volume was 100x what anyone thought."

I do love how the forecasted cost, the thing that drove the decision, was wrong.

quote:

Otellini told Madrigal his gut reaction was to pull the trigger on the Apple mobile deal. But he didn't, and so it's likely every time Otellini sees someone using an iPhone, he'll cringe a little bit inside.

I hope more than cringe

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 17, 2013

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Install Gentoo posted:

And for what it's worth, for Intel, getting the iPhone SoC contract wouldn't have necessarily guaranteed success in the mobile arena. Not only have there been a lot more other smartphones sold and tablets, but Apple could have switched off of Intel to do chips on their own just like they did with Samsung's ARM CPUs from the original iPhones.

I don't believe switching from ARM to ARM isn't quite as big of a deal as switching from x86 to ARM or vice versa, but I could be wrong. It's not an impossible thing to do but you would have had some inertia on your side and Apple hounding your rear end to make a better product that fit their needs. Instead, Apple went off and figured out they are perfectly happy designing their own stuff and got lots of experience doing it. Now Intel has to make something that much more compelling to get Apple to consider switching.

quote:

As for Intel? No. I don't think it's fair to look back and go "Haha look at those idiots, not getting on on mobile". At the time it wasn't really a profitable market, and at the time I'd wager their forecasts made perfect sense based on prior data. That said, I expect them to make a LOT of headway in the tablet side of the market, myself. Being faster rather than being completely concerned about getting a full day of battery life out of a tiny little battery makes perfect sense for that market - though I expect there'll be chips that'll give ARM some competition on the phone side, too.

It wasn't just Apple, it was that and then a train of malaise with lackluster refreshes and stuff like Meego (although I guess Tizen could pan out). I get that mountains had to be moved with a company as big as Intel which is so ingrained in doing and selling things a certain way, but I've always viewed that more of an excuse than a justification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

The flip side to slow to change direction being that once Intel starts focusing something, they're bringing incredible pressure to bear on the problem.

Yes, I'm imagining a world where Intel is flinging 14nm SOCs out the door as fast as they can make them while TSMC is still trying to figure out 20nm and INTC is riding a rocket to the moon.