Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

priznat posted:

Sometimes I wish there was a post silicon validation thread but mostly we’d probably just bitch about using tools and processes that were put in place before we were even out of college :haw:

At my last job we were frozen using Tcl 8.4 because going to 8.5 would break things in ways we did not want to have to deal with. It was released in 2002.

*Rocko's head popped out the trash can.*

They use it because nobody knows how to validate, they can't even get information on what to validate, but there is this thing from 2001 that the previous project used (and so forth) so that's what we'll use.

It's black box testing simply because nobody knows what is in the box. For all anybody knows, it's a filled with a condemned Roman prisoner, a snake, and a dog.

gently caress me, I did not realize this is the thread where Intel people get complain. Where have y'all been? I got sucked in during 2008 and have been unable to escape.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I remember being told by one team to add a flag to disable post-test checking on a tool I wrote because the failures were blocking them and they wanted the choice to ignore them. Fair enough, just add --disable-checking-and-i-understand-the-risks, accept the output about the checks being off everywhere and know that I told the person consuming your reports exactly what to look for when you tell them you finished.

They tried to run literally everything with the checking off and got caught.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Beef posted:

As a software person, I'm also in a culture where the person writing the code is also the person writing the tests and doing the actual testing.

I have heard of much smaller outfits having the hardware engineers also doing the validation too. It is not an alien concept there. I have also seen plenty of self-described software people who were not writing tests at all.

At the size of Intel, it definitely pays to have some experts that can do JTAG, oscilloscope, and logic analyzer magic. And integration along with physical issues is just a pain in the rear end. But yeah, tons of poo poo gets kind of thrown over a wall.

Regarding the full spectrum of testing and simulation options: "segfault" came up. More practically for hardware pants making GBS threads is probably a kernel panic or BSOD. If you got that far, you could be minutes into a boot in real time. Booting the OS is less the problem there than just eating up all this experimental BIOS code, of which any of it could poo poo its pants before you even have a chance to try minmax buffer sizes.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Oh wow so that'd mean there'd at least be one customer for them! =D

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I thought the FPGA business was actually making profit?

Well, I guess that would explain it. What am I thinking.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I kind of expect around now that somebody at marketing in Intel is trying to make a deal for Grumpy Cat, who has been dead for 3-4 years, and they will drag the carcass out for some commercials and stuff. It's about the right delay between popularity and Intel jumping on board with it.

hobbesmaster posted:

I would’ve thought that Intel of all companies would love dogfooding.

I guess they're treating part of the dogfooding process as having to make the decision to buy the thing (and then deciding not to buy it).

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

SpaceDrake posted:

See also: a game like Genshin listing a "Core i5" as its minimum spec.

Core i5 what? 8400? 6600? 2500K? Who knows! Branding!

Yeah that's a double-edged sword. You think you're just fine and don't need a new processor because stuff is still apparently targeting your i5/7/9.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I wonder if that was the treat for people who came in to work.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
By "auto scroll" do you mean the window scrolls down when the mouse reaches the bottom?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I might be able to ask around this upcoming work week post-New-Years, but don't expect much.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Looks like my NUC 9 Extreme finally punched out for good. I think the power supply died.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Edit: I'm an idiot that meant to post in the GPU thread but since I got a reply, I'm keeping it to avoid even more confusion.

I'm assuming a 4070Ti Super will do great with a VR headset with the current MSFS, but are there any takers about how that might change with the oncoming 2024 edition? That's about the only regular thing I can count on where I'll want that kind of performance (outside of being an idiot doing 3d game stuff of my own).

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 12, 2024

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

edit: i just realized this was the intel thread.

Yeah that was supposed to go into the GPU thread. I've got big win energy over here.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
drat once 14A is here, people will definitely need a dedicated circuit for their computer.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Wait does that if I got a 14900K that there's a die roll that I should have gotten something as far back as 9th generation instead?

Edit: Semiconductor pun not intended lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Intel has repeatedly made the excuse for cuts and layoffs that they spend more on it than anybody else in the industry.