Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I'm trying to source a used Xeon processor (Broadwell generation) for an old machine, and boy either A) There were multiple packaging plants resulting in lots of different printing styles or B) There's fucktons of weird reprinted cpus out there.

But since the unlocked multiplier 'counterfeit' cpus are pretty much not a thing anymore, what would be the point of shipping a relabeled CPU? It's obviously not going to show up in the BIOS/CPU-Z correctly, so you might as well ship them a rock if you're going to scam them, no? I guess that's an argument for, there's probably just weird variations on printing, in particular between retail and OEM server CPUs, which there are tons of in the used market.

It has printing of this style (not this exact image/model):

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Any way to tell after you fire it up? From cpuid output or similar.

Presumably I'd need to find sources for exact stepping information for shipped CPUs, including OEM versions if it's one of those. That seems... unlikely. I could only find https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/specification-updates/xeon-e3-1200v4-spec-update.pdf which refers only to steppings "G - 0" (the number zero) as a collective. No idea how to interpret that if I get a CPU that has some particular stepping value. Presumably steppings A-F would be pre-production then? But I have no clue.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 6, 2024