Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
How is a GPU with no shader support anything other than useless? Even the ancient integrated GPU in my parents' computer can do shaders well enough to have Aero Glass turned on in Windows and run the handfull of old games they play.

Even the GPU in my iPhone can do shaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Alereon posted:

The GPU in Sandy Bridge has shader support, it's fully DirectX10 compliant, hence why it can run modern games with decent support, they just made everything that COULD be fixed-function, to reduce power usage and complexity. Here's the page of the Anandtech article with details. It actually comes very close to executing DirectX10 API instructions directly, which is an interesting approach.
I'd recommend taking this to the System Building, Upgrading, and Parts Picking Megathread.

Kind of annoying then that the article you quoted says the hardware is fixed-function only when they actually just meant no GPGPU support but still supports DirectX/OpenGL shaders.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Alereon posted:

The point is that everything that could be fixed-function is fixed-function, but it still has the bare minimum of programmable functionality (the Execution Units).

Yes, I realize that now. I was just referring to your own quote in the OP, where it says no programmability, and thought that meant no sharer support.

Still kind of lame for Intel to gimp the GPU so as to not threaten their CPU business.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Unfortunately there are a lot of businesses with no plans whatsoever to upgrade beyond XP in the immediate future.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

japtor posted:

It'll give Apple an integrated iX chip solution that'll fit within their board space on their low end, and won't be horribly slow vs Nvidia's IGP that they're using now w/C2Ds (sounds like it's faster?).

one problem with this is that apple is pretty big on opencl. the 9400M in my mac mini can at least run GPGPU stuff.