Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Sorry for reposting this but it was the last post in the previous page:

So nobody has any idea going by previous CPU releases? Will it cost only a couple more bucks or will it gain a huge premium?

It largely depends on how many of these processors vendors like Newegg are getting in. There's no way to be certain what demand will be like either. Just wait 2 days for them to come out and you'll have your answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

movax posted:

You could probably kill off your pagefile with 16GB too.

No, don't tell people to do that. That is some stupid "optimization" advice that was touted a decade ago and does not apply. Having a page file available won't make anything slower.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Kashwashwa posted:

I'm flabbergasted by the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus... I'm running voltage at 1.35 instead of 1.32 now, and my temps went from 78s (on stock cooler) to 55s under full load.

My chip doesn't want to go very high though. I'm able to get 4.4Ghz instead of the 4.2 I was at, but it won't even post higher than 4.4 (while it's rock solid AT 4.4 which is weird to me).

I guess I could put more voltage in - 1.35 is still pretty conservative - but I'm a sissy.

You actually probably don't want to go much above 1.35 volts, and 4.4 is a decent overclock. You have to remember that not all chips will be the same. And honestly, you're never going to notice a difference between 4.4 and 4.8 anyway.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

LRADIKAL posted:

Nor does it have to do with his intelligence.

quote:

Musk countered that this was one reason we needed to colonize Mars—so that we’ll have a bolt-hole if A.I. goes rogue and turns on humanity.

quote:

He told Bloomberg’s Ashlee Vance, the author of the biography Elon Musk, that he was afraid that his friend Larry Page, a co-founder of Google and now the C.E.O. of its parent company, Alphabet, could have perfectly good intentions but still “produce something evil by accident”—including, possibly, “a fleet of artificial intelligence-enhanced robots capable of destroying mankind.”

He is dumb and crazy.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Time is a circle.

Please don't bring back tension mount heatsinks.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

- direct die cooling.

Too many people used to crack their CPUs; they're never going to do this.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

On one hand, you're wrong, there's still close to 20% headroom to squeeze out on an 8700K and it's pretty easy to get them to at least 4.8/4.9 even without delidding.

That's not really value-based overclocking though. You get a decent performance bump, but you pay more for the CPU, motherboard, and heatsink, and have ongoing higher electric bills.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Upgrading with the saved money more frequently. For example, buying a new video card every 3 years instead of every 4. The analogy works less well for processors because of how stagnant performance has been. Unless you're buying the latest equipment every year or two and don't care about money, saving that money for future upgrades instead of paying more to push your current stuff makes more sense for most people.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Aeka 2.0 posted:

My bank also called me and I was like "ill call you back" and found a different number. I can't get ahold of anyone since it is Columbus Day, so who the gently caress called me?

edit: two purchases for over 1000 dollars at Lenovo. Going big.

Are you sure it was your bank and not a scammer? https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/10/voice-phishing-scams-are-getting-more-clever/

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I didn't realize the company's name was Principled Technologies :hmmyes:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

9900k, the true Prescott successor

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

For a home user it's probably not going to matter much. In a datacenter that gets targeted by national spy agencies, it's a huge problem. Given the reach we know the NSA had 5 years ago with Snowden, I'm sure they're well on their way to exploiting the poo poo out of this along with every other major country. Since so much of the money Intel makes comes from the server market, it's going to be really hard to continue downplaying it.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Wait am I the whale or Ahab this is confusing

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

But hey, please demand low end processors get the same full features that high end ones have just because it's technically already there and that R&D and design and validation of it costs nothing.

On the other hand Intel's net profit last quarter was 6.3 billion dollars.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

They're obviously not hurting for money. I'm not sure why you'd defend a company making their products artificially crappier other than ~capitalism~

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I get why it happens. I know that market segmentation gets companies like Intel more money. But artificially crippling products to make more money is dumb, and defending it is dumb.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

K8.0 posted:

So if Intel did no market segmentation, and everything was (and thus was priced as) a Xeon, you'd be happier, because a desktop CPU costs $2k but at least there's no market segmentation?

I didn't articulate it well, but I'm fine with them making different processors for different purposes. But disabling functionality on an existing processor to hold out for a payout is too much to me. Like I said, they're making money hand over fist, it's just going the extra mile to wring money out of people at that point.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

People have been railing in this thread against Intel artificially limiting their processor improvements for years due to lack of competition. I don't get why my mentioning them limiting their processors in another way is so contentious.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Cygni posted:

Short of tearing down capitalism, I haven't really seen a way around that yet. That doesn't mean Intel (or AMD, or Nvidia) doesn't do lovely stuff, but the fundamental approach is the same with all of them.

I agree. I just don't see the point of defending their strategies like in the original post I quoted.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I don't think Intel is the only one that does it. It's annoying when any company does it, but this is the Intel thread.

A Pentium is physically a different processor. Charging more for hyperthreading is stupid though, especially given its security issues :q:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Yeah and Comcast spends a ton of money on infrastructure and makes much more money from TV services than internet. But I'm guessing you're not going into threads defending their anti-consumer lobbying habits via the FCC or price gouging on services.

Intel is making more profit per quarter than ever, obviously manufacturing costs aren't hurting them even if they can't crank out 10nm after 5 years.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Crunchy Black posted:

Absolutely fair, but meaningless to the lemming market, which is how AMD made all its money at this juncture.

You seem real cool

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

You're not seeing impact as the software end-users primarily use that would be targeted (web browsers) are the forefront of r&ding protections

See: Chrome's recent memory management error that was actively being exploited in the wild that allowed arbitrary code execution and sandbox escape.

I wouldn't rely on web browser security to save us.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

I personally would never use an 'appliance' as a media centre, they lock you in to all kinds of bullshit, and convince people that transcoding video on-the-fly is actually a reasonable use of resources.

I have an HTPC too, but they really are obsolete right now unless you want to watch weird pirate streams that only load in a browser. Even then, you can use a Chromecast. A shield does just about everything, uses less power, and you don't have to use a hodgepodge of software to get your old MCE remote working properly.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Confuse people into thinking it's a huge truck, then they'll spend 60k on it

14X4

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Like a Mac Mini, but more expensive and made of plastic

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Sphyre posted:

What are the temperatures, now that the side of your case is open, under the same load that was causing your temperatures to hit 85 degrees celsius previously?

late edit: Went back and reread the thread because this was bugging me. It seems weird that adjusting your fan curves would've made that much of a difference unless like your mobo defaulted to having your CPU cooler fan at lowest possible % PWM regardless of temperature! Strange!

I had an instance where I plugged my fan into CPU2 instead of CPU1 thinking it didn't matter, but the PWM for CPU2 based itself off of motherboard temperature instead of CPU, so it never spun up. Maybe something like that happened there.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Eletriarnation posted:

I can't really bring myself to throw it away since it was my first new desktop and as far as I know still works flawlessly, but I increasingly suspect I'll never have a use for it again. Even if I found a use for which it was capable, power use compared to a newer system makes that not a good idea. Using it as a classic gaming machine has some superficial appeal but when I consider the difficulty involved in setting up a new install of Windows XP in 2020, I think I'll try to stick to VMs and GOG ports.

I just kept my first processor for nostalgia and recycled the rest.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

priznat posted:

I will love it if that 24 pin connector goes the way of the dodo!

Also the psu makers need a standard for their modular cables, because that stuff is all over the place often with disastrous results.

Yep, I got a refurbished EVGA PSU, and they gave me a SATA power cable meant for another one of their PSU lines. It plugged in fine, but when I used it, the computer wouldn't even boot (probably a ground fault). Luckily it didn't fry anything, but it's still incredibly stupid that manufacturers can't standardize it within their own lines because they're just buying stuff from third parties and slapping their names on them.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Likely Intel is cutting OEMs some deals. No one pays list price.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Riflen posted:

10th and 11th.
11th will be Rocket Lake, which is supposed to be a new architecture that was originally meant to release on 10nm. It's being back-ported to 14nm. There'll be no 10nm desktop parts from Intel until some time into 2021.

TSMC is beginning volume production on 5nm. That's ~172 million transistors/mm, while Intel will still be on 37.5 million/mm. That's crazy.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Personal computer is a pretty broad term, and different than IBM's PC Compatible. If you just go by the definition of multipurpose computer for an individual, you could easily argue the 360, wii, and PS3 qualified since they let you browse the internet and play back media in addition to playing games.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

akadajet posted:

Sure, but when people say "the xbone is a pc" they are talking about a PC compatible.

A lot of modern PCs aren't PC compatible any more either though. They can't run original DOS any more because the compatibility options are no longer there in some EFI startup environments. The term is fuzzy. Also, if the systems weren't locked down by the vendors, I'm sure you could get modern OSes running on them.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

DrDork posted:

They're not in a great spot right this moment, but thinking that Intel somehow can't maneuver themselves back into a good spot is, I think, a mistake.

I'm 50/50 on them being ok long term vs a permanent slow decline. Their 10nm is still obviously having issues, and 7nm is also hosed until at least late 2022/2023 and they're considering moving to third party fabrication. It's not like there's a ton of cheap spare capacity on new nodes, so if they're even considering that, they're pretty desperate.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Not Wolverine posted:

If Intel does pull off a faster CPU again, it will be short lived and waaay more expensive than the nearest AMD equivalent.

I kind of doubt it. I'd be surprised if the 6 core CPU is much over AMD's pricing. Maybe it'll be $350.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Probably not worth the effort though

Just about anything else would be better. Slot in a 9900k. Upgrade to a 10850k. Wait for their new processors.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Does the 11400 make more sense this time around, compared to the 10400? I remember reading that they'll run DDR3200 now. Putting together a cheapish gaming system for a friend this spring and it seems like a good deal.

Assuming you can get it for the rumored $200/€200, then yeah, it will probably compare pretty favorably to AMD's current offerings.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

He should have called them Crapple. That would have showed 'em.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

What better way to convince people that efficiency cores are good and useful than to offer a stupid amount of configurations of them, including none at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

The heatsink slayer has arrived