Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

CommieGIR posted:

I thought Intel said earlier this year or late last year that they were getting out of the GPU market? If so, why the sudden change in direction
They said discrete GPU market, IIRC. Basically they killed Larrabee and that was it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

freeforumuser posted:

On the on the hand of the spectrum, A 2.2 GHz P4 released in 2002 is on par with a 1.6GHz Atom. That should show how terrible Atoms are in terms of performance/price even if netbooks are pretty cheap to start with.
Atoms aren't about price/performance, though. They're performance/watt. If a 1.6 GHz Atom really is as fast as a 2.2 GHz P4 that's pretty fantastic given how little power they use, especially compared to how ridiculous Netburst was. This is really a point in Atom's favor in my opinion. :shobon:

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

movax posted:

Question, because I'm ignorant and skipped Core-iX: i5 and i3s use dual-channel DDR3, i7s use triple-channel?
Not exactly no. All i3 and i5s are dual channel, but some i7s are dual channel some are tri-channel. Anything 1156 is dual channel, anything 1366 is tri-channel.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

zachol posted:

Not sure how to get ambient temp.
Ambient temp means the temp in the room. A 30 C room will force your CPU to run much hotter than a 20 C room.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

Economy Clown Car posted:

I was just about to post this very question :catstare: but for the new line of CPUs in general. Because I thought it was funny to go from triple channel back to dual channel from the regular i7s to the SBs.
What. No they didn't. Socket 1156 was dual channel, 1155 is dual channel. 1366 was triple channel, 2011 is quad channel.

Economy Clown Car posted:

Also, I have been sitting on my hands waiting for the "New Standards"(TM) since we've been using 1920x1080 rez displays for quite a few years now and I'm waiting for anything higher than DDR3 2000 for memory. Logic being I don't want to get pranked in 2-3 years time and suddenly I have no upgrade capability because my mobo is the old standard and I have an old broke hoopty monitor.
Standard JEDEC DDR3 supports speeds up to 2133 MHz. Anything beyond that will come from DDR4, in 2013 and beyond.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

tijag posted:

I wonder if Apple is going to dump nvidia again after nvidia once again is likely to fail to meet expectations set by apple. also, I'm wondering why Apple switch from AMD back to nvidia. Considering AMD has been executing very well for some time, what is it that nvidia showed/sold Apple on to convince them to switch back to nivida.
What do you mean dump nVidia again? All of Apple's currently shipping computers are using AMD or Intel GPUs.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

Wouldn't Skylake fall under Intel's "tick" timeframe? Isn't it better to choose Haswell as that would fall under "tock"? Is Intel just talking out of its giant rear end when it uses this tick/tock poo poo?
Haswell and Skylake are both tocks. Broadwell and Skymont are their respective ticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

dud root posted:

I almost recommended Kaspersky for our 100 user environment - it had great server side tools to push out the program, and uninstall our older not-Kaspersky AV silently. Plus the detection & performance rate was good. BUT if you performed a manual scan or if it found a virus, the popup title bar of the scanner was labelled "Luke Filewalker" :psyduck: crazy loving Russians that's not a corporate product!
Luke Filewalker is Avira though.