Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
You don't want to turn HT off, it will improve performance any time you've got more threads running than cores. It may not be worth paying extra for if you don't frequently use heavily-threaded apps, but there's no reason to give it up if you're getting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
It's 10% faster with 10% lower power usage. If you have a new enough system that that still isn't compelling for you, then there's no reason to upgrade. The new Radeon HD 6900-series drops tonight at Midnight Eastern/9PM Pacific, so check that out if you have a fast CPU already.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Buffis posted:

Did not see this answered, but will sandy bridge motherboards allow us to use the same CPU coolers like the current sockets for core2duo?
The mounting holes are in the same position as LGA-1156, if you're currently using an LGA-775 cooler then you may need new mounting hardware.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

movax posted:

Can't blame them for this, the spec was just finalized in Nov. 2010. I just started doing PCI-E 3.0 layout/design for my company a few weeks ago. I don't think any graphics cards are ready for 3.0 anyways, are they?
The latest graphics cards are all PCI-E 2.1. There's really nothing that uses the bandwidth anyway, given that you can do Crossfire/SLI in x8/x8 mode on a P55 board without a loss in performance. There's a few compute and science applications that would benefit, but those are rare.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
I wouldn't worry too much about board pricing yet. Initial indications were of a $20 premium, but that's also supposed to even out shortly after launch. If you do a Froogle search, you can find plenty of P67 boards <$140 or even lower.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Thyrus posted:

Oh dear, I'm in a bit of a pickle. My old rigs mobo died yesterday (an AMD phenom 2 940) and I figured I'd go with an i7 something this time. I was thinking about going with an i7-950 but the temptation for more performance for the same buck from SB is tempting. Then again, I've done launch hardware before and gotten burned on reliability and I don't know when SB will be available in Norway or the price point (negating the more bang for the buck).

Why did my machine have to crash now with SB and presumably Bulldozer out soon, drat it.
If you need to buy now, I'd look at the LGA-1156 platform with either an i5 760 or i7 870 (or i7 875K if you're into overclocking). You get a much better value and more power efficiency compared to the LGA-1366 platform with the i7 950. Really though, I'd just wait it out for the Sandy Bridge launch reviews at least.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

WhyteRyce posted:

With both an SSD and faster boot times, I wonder about just going to hibernate.
On current versions of Windows these modes have been combined into Hybrid Standby. The system hibernates, then switches to Standby mode. The result is if power isn't cut to the system, it wakes up instantly as if it was asleep. If it does lose power, then when power is restored it wakes up from Hibernate mode without having to wait for a full reboot.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

ilkhan posted:

No, I said hydrid sleep is useful, but I wouldn't use it with an SSD. My systems have 6-8GB RAM, and I wouldn't want that much data going on/off/repeat an SSD 4x (or more) a day. useful != will always use.
You don't need to worry about how much data you write to an SSD at all. Even if you're writing the full capacity of your SSD every day (64GB SSD, 8GB RAM, hibernated 8X a day), you have over 10 years before you'll wear it out.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
I'd like to see how well 8 graphics cards (or even 4) work when sharing only 16 PCI-E lanes between them. Bridge chips like the NF200 and Lucid Hydra help, but that only goes so far.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hmmm, I've been thinking... The does the SB GPU have embedded memory for the main framebuffer, or is it also stored in main memory?
The GPU shares L3 cache and system RAM, to my knowledge. Ivy Bridge will change this by integrating up to 1GB of RAM using stacked LPDDR2 dies with a 512-bit bus. Assuming 800Mhz LPDDR2, that's 51.2GB/sec of memory bandwidth for the on-die GPU.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Another thing that Sandy Bridge will be good for is GPU computing, since you can use the onboard video for display rendering and the Tesla card for computing. You have to use special compute-only drivers that doesn't support display output, because Windows won't allow you to perform any compute operations that take longer to complete than the driver timeout window (otherwise it thinks the driver hung and restarts it). The compute-only driver isn't a WDDM (Windows Display Driver Model) driver, so it isn't affected by this. Basically this means you can get away without needing a separate videocard for display in Tesla-equipped systems.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Holy poo poo reviews be out son!

Anandtech Sandy Bridge desktop i3/i5/i7 review

Anandtech: Sandy Bridge: Upheaval in the Mobile Landscape

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Interesting tidbit for those curious about boot times on EFI: Anandtech reports that their Intel P67 board cut POST times by a quarter versus Intel P57 and X58 boards, from about 29 seconds to about 22 seconds.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

WhyteRyce posted:

The performance of that onboard video encoder is very surprising. I had no intention of ever using it but now it looks like it could be a nice added bonus
There was a pretty lovely footnote to this, Intel Quick Sync transcode technology only works if the on-die graphics is enabled and in-use. This means those of us with P67 boards or discrete graphics cards can't use use the video transcoder, which just smacks of a retarded implementation.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Spite posted:

It's not that simple. You'd have to also be aware there are 2 GPUs and data would have to flow well from one to the other. There's a host of annoyances. Similar to why no one has a good solution for dynamically switching between an integrated GPU and a discrete one on the fly based on workload - you have to be able to assume the rest of the system is playing nice, which it most definitely is not.
nVidia Optimus is pretty seamless on laptops, and LucidLogix supposedly has a similar brand-agnostic solution ready for desktops using the H55 chipset.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Honestly I am kinda disappointed in desktop Sandy Bridge. The absence of VT-d and TXT on the K-series isn't really significant, but it feels kind of insulting to cut features out of a premium SKU. The fact that you only get Intel HD Graphics 3000 on the K-series CPUs that are least likely to use it is also odd. It's also bullshit that we can't use Quick Sync without using the on-die graphics, I don't see what keeps them from running the silicon even if it's not driving a display. Given the Quick Sync limitation, the feature division between chipsets (P67 gets dual graphics and overclocking, H67 gets Intel HD Graphics and Quick Sync) is even more frustrating.

On the plus side, Sandy Bridge appears to have more than delivered for the mobile sector. Sandy Bridge laptops are insanely fast and have great battery life, and Intel HD Graphics 3000 performs competitively with the Geforce GT 325M, which is pretty drat good for integrated graphics. Paired with a Geforce GTX 560M you'd have a pretty drat efficient mobile gaming system.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 3, 2011

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Factory Factory posted:

The only difference between P67 and H67 is whether there are hookups for video hardware, right? So why does the vanilla Asus P8H67 have no display connectors? As far as I can tell, it's just a P8P67 with a shitter audio codec.
H67 doesn't support PCI-Express port bifurcation (dividing the x16 slot into two x8 slots) or overclocking. It's probably also less expensive than the P67.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Even if you do torrent, you're almost certainly not going to care about your NIC chipset. GigE has been common for long enough that even your standard Realtek or Marvell chipset has no problems making it work well.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

redeyes posted:

I absolutely love Intel. I buy their stuff constantly BUT I would never trust their driver team to be able to deliver stable and feature packed graphics drivers for this new chip. As of right now Intel has never been able to deliver a competitive graphics chip/driver. According to a lot of reviews this SB cannot decode FILM correctly and outputs 24fps which makes movie watching jittery. That is loving unacceptable. I mean all this hub hub over what amounts to a lovely entry level graphics chip that lacks features and who knows what else? No loving thanks.
The 23.976fps thing seems like much ado over nothing. I watch my 23.976fps movies on a 60Hz LCD, which tells you how many fucks I give about judder. I can't imagine being sensitive enough that a doubled frame every 40 seconds bothered me. I mean clearly some people care so it would have been nice for them to support it, but I can't muster even mild annoyance.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

shodanjr_gr posted:

Does Intel's launch include Sandy-bridge based Xeons?
No, those launch in Q4.

punk rebel ecks posted:

So being that the 2500k costs Intel $216, how much will it likely sell for on a site like say Newegg?
Expect to pay within a few dollars of the wholesale price. Whether there will be a premium over that depends on how strong supply and demand are.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

incoherent posted:

I agree somewhat with this that yeah, we dont need 4 16x lanes, but most P55 mid-high end mobo manufactures were able to eek out 8x/8x/4x/1x configs.
The Asus P8P67 Pro and higher all have 3xPCI-E x16 slots (not that you'll do much with that third slot). Give it a bit for high-end boards with NF200 or LucidLogix bridge chips and we'll have quad-SLI/crossfire boards.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

MTW posted:

Oh, what the gently caress? HW virtualization is gone on the K models? Yeah, not buying Sandy Bridge now.

Why the gently caress can't I have both overclocking and virtualization?
You get VT-x, but not VT-d. Check movax's post up the page a bit for details of what these are. In short, it probably doesn't matter for desktop virtualization applications.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Not directly Sandy Bridge-related, but of interest to those of you building new systems: Oversupply sends DRAM prices to one-year low. Bulk DDR3 prices, which were predicted to drop below $10/GB by the end of 2010, have now reached only $6.72 per gigabyte. Prices are expected to recover a bit with rising demand in Q2, but before then we'll probably see prices below the record low of $6.48/GB set back in March 2009. Granted these are wholesale prices for the DRAM chips only, and current Newegg retail is about $10.75/GB for DDR3-1333 in 4GB DIMMs, but we can expect the retail price to continue to decline, trailing the wholesale DRAM prices until they start to recover.

Those of you in the market for RAM in the next few months might want to consider getting more than you need as a hedge against higher upgrade prices later on. I went to 8GB of RAM when DDR2 bottomed out and it was a good choice. I'd definitely get at least 8GB with any new Sandy Bridge system.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

movax posted:

So, not quite the epic pricing Alereon told us about (probably because these are 4GB DIMMs), but how is the price on these? Thinking about ordering two of them.
I'd buy DDR3-1600 for Sandy Bridge, since it's supported now without overclocking, but that's me. For DDR3-1333, you can get 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Value Series DDR3-1333 for $64.99 with free shipping and no rebates. This is the daily Shell Shocker deal, but is a little preview of prices to come.

Edit: Sold out, that was pretty loving fast.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 5, 2011

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
There's still the issue that using 4 DIMMs may mean you need to back off on timings or clock speeds for stability due to the additional load and reduced signal quality, and that you can't upgrade your RAM in the future without replacing sticks. I'd say 2x4GB is the best option right now unless you have a compelling reason to get 4 DIMMs.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

greasyhands posted:

Asrock is Asus' budget line.
It's more accurate to say that Asrock is a company that Asus spun off to make products for the low-end market. I don't think Asus and Asrock share any personnel or designs or anything like that. They're just like any other low-end motherboard company, not great but not absolute trash like Jetway/PC Chips/etc.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Gigabyte's LGA-1156 boards were pretty terrible, they had memory compatibility issues and huge problems supplying stable power to the CPU. The sheer volume of threads in the Haus of Tech Support for unstable i5 systems with Gigabyte boards was insane. It would be cool if they made better LGA-1155 boards, but I'm not holding my breath.

Edit: Honestly, I would never buy anything other than Asus, but that's me. Their prices are pretty competitive in most cases, and so the small savings aren't really worth taking a risk for me.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 5, 2011

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

spasticColon posted:

I have a P35-DS3L that I got with my E8400 and it has worked very good for me I just can't overclock my E8400 past 3.4GHz because it is a gimped C0 chip or is it because my motherboard is junk?
Reduce the CPU multiplier and keep pushing the FSB up. If it won't go any further, the motherboard is the limiting factor. That wouldn't be too surprising, since the stock FSB is the maximum supported by the chipset, whereas usually when overclocking you use a board with margin to push the FSB up before it hits its limits. For example, on my X48 board you'd just change it from 9*333 to 7.5*400 and bump the multiplier back up one step at a time until the CPU hits its limit or you're up to 3.6Ghz.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
I wouldn't worry about it. Up to 1.40v is generally considered safe for the 45nm CPUs when well-cooled, but my Core 2 Quad Q9550 also hits a wall past 3.4Ghz. 3.4Ghz at 1.30v is fine, but 3.6Ghz requires 1.40v and an excessive amount of tweaking, so I decided it wasn't worth it to try to eek out the last couple hundred Mhz. Every CPU has a point where power usage starts going up near exponentially, it's generally not worth pushing the CPU past that sweet spot.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Two videos have been posted from Anandtech's in-depth Sandy Bridge Q&A with Intel. Man, I remember when Anand was 14 and writing about the AMD K6-3 :3:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Ika posted:

According to http://techreport.com/articles.x/20190/13 you can overclock the locked chips by up to 400mhz, this is the first time I heard of that though, can anyone confirm?
Yes, this has been known since the technical preview articles. You're basically exploiting the Turbo Boost modes.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
And UEFI is required to support HDDs over 2TB, so I would definitely consider it a requirement when purchasing a board.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Lum posted:

This the first time I've heard of a mini-ITX gaming PC. Normally they're used for car stereos or silly "case mods" where they crammed the entire system into a football or something stupid likt that.

I'm sure if you stuck a mini ITX board on a table and put a modern graphics card in it, the thing would tip over due to the graphics card being heavier and the one single expansion slot being right on the edge.

Sure you're not thinking of Micro ATX?
Here's an example of a Mini-ITX LGA-1156 board with a PCI-E x16 slot. We'll definitely see similar boards based on the H67 chipset, there isn't really much compelling need for P67-based boards because you can't do dual-graphics and most people won't be overclocking in a Mini-ITX form factor. Heck, I don't know if you can even cram enough power phases into that form factor to power an overclocked CPU.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

El Bandit posted:

It looks like the 2500K will be priced at £170 and the 2600K at £250 (basically $120). Looking at the reviews, it seems the 2600 doesn't perform noticeably better than the 2500 in games. Does anything make it worth the extra money?
If you do anything that can use 8 cores (or think it would be REALLY cool to see 8 graphs in task manager), it's worth it. If you don't, then it's not.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Nonpython posted:

When is S2011 hitting?
Some time in Q4, so ~9 months or so at least.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

SpaceDrake posted:

By the way, I keep seeing conflicting information: does the P67 support USB 3.0 or not? The ASUS boards are advertised as having USB 3.0 and SATA3, but I've seen some people saying P67 won't have USB3?
P67 doesn't support USB3.0, but most boards will include a third-party USB3.0 controller or two.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
TechReport found almost no performance difference between the Intel and Realtek network controllers. Throughput was the same, CPU usage averaged ~3% on the Realtek controller, ~2% on the Intel controller. And this is transferring at full Gigabit speeds.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Newegg has a Combo of a Core i5 2500K and an Asus P8P67 Pro for $394.98, a $20 savings. This is the enthusiast-but-not-[H]ardcore board with Crossfire/SLI, Intel LAN, and decent power.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Some dillweed posted:

So, am I wrong to assume that DDR3 1333 and 1600 will have minimal real world difference even if you overclock these processors? Is it also true for Sandy Bridge that you're supposed to use lower-voltage 1.5v RAM? There's an 8GB kit of G.Skill 1333 on sale for $69.99 and that Corsair "Vengeance" DDR3 1600 for $54.99 per 4GB stick at NCIX right now.
I don't think anyone's done any RAM benchmarks yet on Sandy Bridge, but there wasn't a difference for the LGA-1156 i7s so I don't think DDR3-1600 will make much of a difference now. Given the low price difference it still might be worth getting if you get a decent deal. 1.5v is the standard voltage for DDR3, any RAM rated higher than that is meant for overclocking, so if you're using a lower-end board or aren't comfortable tweaking RAM settings, just get 1.5v RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

SpaceAceJase posted:

So what's a good motherboard choice if you ARE going to do SLI/Crossfire?

I just bought two AMD Radeon HD 6950 cards (planning on flashing them to HD 6970s)
The Asus P8P67 Pro would be a good choice, and it's not too expensive either.