Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Paino posted:

What about the H67?

It's cheap and basic I know, but it does a decent job right?
If you're sure you'll never want to overclock or use dual graphics cards, then yes it's a perfectly reasonable option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
1.40v was the recommended 24/7 maximum for 45nm Core 2 CPUs, so it stands to reason it would be lower for 32nm CPUs.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Definitely keep the power supply, the case is up to you.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Yeah, I really wouldn't worry at all about what hardware monitoring utilities are reporting. If the system completes Memtest86+ passes without error, you're in good shape. Do check and see if Intel has any updates 6-series chipset drivers for download on their website.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Keep in mind that there's a LOT of ways those numbers could have been played with since we don't have any specifics about what was tested. I can pretty much guarantee they used a heavily threaded benchmark like Cinebench or 3Dsmax, and they also probably compared an 8-core Bulldozer CPU to a the 6-core Gulftown i7. If they wanted to be shifty, they could have used exactly 8 threads to max out the Bulldozer but leave the Gulftown with four unused logical CPUs (12 threads total). It's also entirely possible they used an i7 970, while not a huge difference it changes the value and lowers the Intel scores a bit.

Sandy Bridge's performance leadership will come from its much higher per-thread performance and the amplifying effects of Turbo boost (which AMD will also support on Bulldozer, but probably not to nearly the same effect).

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Dr. Gaius Baltar posted:

As an update to the P8P67 Pro and memory, it seems that there's nothing wrong with using your DDR3-1600 memory at DDR3-1600 speeds, as long as the memory isn't defective like mine is. I narrowed down the faulty memory module and removed it, and now my computer is chugging along at DDR3-1605. Why 1605 and not 1600? No idea. I set it to DDR3-1600 in the BIOS, and it spat out DDR3-1605, CL9-9-9-24 1.5v. Probably not a big deal.
I saw in reviews that P67 boards tend to run the bus clock at exactly 100.3Mhz as opposed to the 100.0Mhz you might expect. 1600*1.003=1604.8, rounded to 1605 for display. There's also a +/-0.5% variance for Spread Spectrum Clocking which reduces electrical noise by making sure that the various signals in the system never line up exactly.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Linpack (which is what Intel Burn Test and the OCCT Linpack test use) is definitely the best stress testing program, it finds errors quickly and will easily heat the CPU to 10-15C beyond what Prime95 or other CPU torture tests will do. I like to use the OCCT CPU Torture test for initial testing, and move to Linpack if the CPU handles it for a bit.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Laserface posted:

What are the benefits of UEFI besides Mouse in setup and boot from 2TB+ drives? is there anywhere that does a head to head comparison with regular old BIOS?

I honestly prefer GB boards to ASUS based on my previous experiences with both (3 dead ASUS to 2 GB boards still running after 3 years) and as someone who rarely re-visits the setup screen after first boot and doesnt have a large boot drive, Im not seeing why I should worry about the GB board not having UEFI UNLESS it makes a significant boost to performance or boot times.
It significantly cuts boot times.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

LordOfThePants posted:

Keeping my vcore at 1.25V, I bumped up the multiplier to 42X and tried to run Prime95 - immediate BSOD. Voltage is back to Auto and honestly with the temps where they're at, I'm not going to worry about it. I'll probably go up to 43-44X and call it good.
I'd recommend OCCT for stress testing, the CPU Torture Test is good for initial testing when you want to see if the CPU is going to quickly overheat or crash, and the Linpack test is great for thorough stability testing (and will heat the CPU up to 10-15C hotter than anything else).

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

FatboYgw posted:

Well that sounds a bit gash. I guess I'll wait til the box arrives and see how it goes. Failing that, is there a "normal" way of getting >2 displays that work properly together under Win7? The mobo has 2 x16 slots, do I just need a second card?
I don't mean to make a controversial brand-biased post here but you really should be getting AMD videocards if multi-monitor support is important to you, as that's one area where AMD is years ahead of nVidia. AMD videocards (5000-series and higher) support up to 6 monitors per card, and you can combine monitors into a single large display that even works in games, called Eyefinity.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
If you want to see if you're affected by the bug, try running Crystal Disk Info. I suspect that this would manifest as logged Ultra DMA CRC Errors, so if you're using the SATA300 ports and have those logged, you could be experiencing the issue. Other possible causes for UDMA CRC Errors include bad SATA cables and anything that can cause data corruption, like RAM issues.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
There's no point in calling retailers about your boards when the manufacturers just learned about the issue today. Give them a couple days to get things figured out, it's not like fixed versions are even available yet.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

CFox posted:

Probably a dumb question but I ordered the ASUS P8P67 and it comes with two 6.0 SATA ports and two Marvell 6.0 SATA ports. Since I'm only going to be using 3 hard drives I can just use the 6.0 ports and be fine correct? Also what's the deal with Marvell ports and are they better than the regular ones?
You should be fine, yes, but really I'd replace the board anyway. The Marvell ports offer 6GBps SATA, but aren't as fast as the Intel-provided ports.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Anandtech just posted another article with even more details of the defect. Due to a design error, part of the PLL for the SATA300 ports is receiving too much voltage, leading to it burning out. This failure will occur over time, and will be accelerated by increased voltage and/or temperature.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

mayodreams posted:

They drop frames to get to the standard. Also, 23.98 is NOT 24. Dropping a frame may not seem like a big deal, but the drift adds up in a hurry. At 1 frame per 2.5 min you watch 10 minutes and you've got a 17% drift, which is noticeable by almost anyone.
There is no drift, the video and audio are fully back in synch at the start of the pulldown cadence. They play 24p movies on PAL (25p/50i) by just speeding them up slightly, which prevents desynch and judder, but it reduces running time and they have to do pitch correction so that actors' voices don't noticeably change.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

LastCaress posted:

Well I've got a asus p8p67 deluxe with 10 hds (2 of them in a controller card) and some drives make weird clicks (really noisy) when I boot the computer. Also a HD diagnostic program lists them as having a long spin up time (and the bios smart thinggie says something is wrong). The disks themselves are alright, I don't know what the problem might be :|
What kind of power supply do you have? It may be balking at the inrush current of all of those 12V motors spinning up simultaneously. Try enabling Staggered Spinup. Also, you can use Crystal Disk Info to check HDD health status, though it may not see through RAID controllers.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

zachol posted:

So can this damage the hard disk itself?
Should I open my computer up right now and switch it to an unaffected 6 Gps port, or can I just wait a while, until either there's a recall or I start seeing weird stuff?
I think it's likely to cause the SMART UDMA CRC Error count on the drive (which logs how many packets have been corrupted between the drive and SATA controller) to grow, but I don't think anything actually monitors that as far as reading drive health is concerned.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Verizian posted:

I suppose the important question now is will prices rise or fall in March at the relaunch?
Motherboard prices will be 5-10% higher, CPU prices will likely be the same (or slightly lower), RAM will either be cheaper or will have begun its price recovery.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Tapedump posted:

How much info is there on Sandy Bridge laptops being affected? Same thing, yeah?
Yes, but if the laptop only supports two SATA devices, and connects them to the SATA600 ports, then it WOULDN'T be affected (since the SATA300 controller is unconnected).

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Fitret posted:

I've asked about this in the laptop thread, but maybe it's more appropriate here. Short version is that I'm looking at getting a macbook (though I'm not committed, all my current PCs are windows), but I really have a deadline - I'm moving soon (end of Feb) and won't have access to my desktop for about a month, so I think I want to get a laptop before then. Would it be a mistake to get a previous generation laptop? Should I really wait for Sandy Bridge macbooks, or just get a SB windows laptop? I'll probably primarily want to use it for surfing the web / email, WoW, and coding.
The performance and battery life advantage for Sandy Bridge is extreme. I'd definitely consider it a requirement if I was buying a new laptop, and could find one that was unaffected by the SATA issue.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

brainwrinkle posted:

What is the general consensus on load line calibration when overclocking Sandy Bridge? I've heard in a few places that it causes very short voltage spikes on the higher settings and the highest setting can increase the voltage under load. I've got my 2500k stable at 1.35V and medium (Level 3 in the ASRock BIOS) load line calibration. Would it be worth increasing the LLC to drop the Vcore a bit? Do any of the other voltages really matter for a ~4.5 Ghz overclock?
Never use loadline calibration, it will cause voltage overshoots when exiting load conditions that can damage the processor (or at the very least cause hangs or crashes). If the voltage isn't high enough under load but is within safe limits when idle, just increase the voltage setting.

FunkyUnderpants posted:

Quick question: does anyone know if the Z68 chipset is going to be able to support dual pci express x16 slots instead of crippling them both to x8? I recall that nVidia chipsets a few revisions back could do this on their premium boards, but I've also heard that some suit between nVidia and Intel prevent nVidia from doing the same for us this time around.

Sucks. I really wanted good SLI performance from my two GTX 460 cards.

If not the Z68, does anyone know if there's ever going to be any chipset that can support that? I was under the impression, though, that Intel and nVidia were the only actual players in the not-just-southbridges industry.
This was largely answered, but the higher-end Sandy Bridge boards will include nVidia NF200 bridge chips, which take 16 lanes from the CPU and provide 32 lanes out to devices. Your cards are still limited to a combined total of 16 lanes of bandwidth, but it has various tricks to improve the effective bandwidth beyond what you get with x8/x8. However, as mentioned, there's minimal performance difference in the real world because 8 PCI-E 2.0 lanes are enough for anybody.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

brainwrinkle posted:

Do you have a source for this? I tried it with LLC turned completely off and I drop about .07v under load. Is that normal? It seems my 2500K is stable at 4.4 Ghz at 1.32v under load, which would mean I would need a 1.39v Vcore with no LLC versus 1.35v with medium LLC. That seems a bit high.
Here's an Anandtech article about CPU power delivery and Loadline Calibration. It was written for the 45nm Core 2 Quads, though the principles are the same (and 32nm CPUs will be even more sensitive to voltage transients). A .07v drop under load doesn't seem abnormal, mine can be up to .10v on my Penryn system, though the voltages are also higher proportionally (and that's when pushing my CPU past the point where current starts getting retarded).

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

movax posted:

Hmm, has anyone put out a H67-based board with the following?

- PCIe lanes from CPU broken out to 2 x8 electrical slots
That's not possible on H67, the lack of PCI-E port bifurcation is one of the main product differentiators for P67. I think you're boned until Z68 comes out.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

movax posted:

Heh, my SATA 3Gbps ports just went, had 6 drives 10 minutes ago, now I have 2. :downs:

Probably a lot of overnight file copying to and fro that killed it.
Anyone who was relying on Intel's quoted failure rate estimates for a sense of security should definitely think carefully about that after reading this post.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
I haven't had the issues with Realtek NICs that others have, but plenty of previous boards have used Marvell Yukon chipsets that worked just fine, is there a reason no one used those on their Sandy Bridge boards? I did some poking around and saw an Asrock board using an Atheros chipset, but that was it for variety. It would be interesting to know what the cost difference is between the Intel and other NICs.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

What's the story with that low-overhead AMD AA tech (the one that messes with text fidelity)? Are there specific cards it works with or is it just a driver-based feature? I usually end up with nvidia cards but the 6850 is looking like a good deal and that feature is enticing.
Morphological AA (MLAA) works on the Radeon HD 5000-series and newer cards with current drivers. It's basically a blur filter that specifically works on sharp edges. The Radeon HD 6900-series also added Enhanced Quality AA, which takes additional coverage samples to improve color blending quality. Also, I'm not sure, but I think they may have fixed the AA messing with text by putting in application profiles that disables AA for apps like web browsers.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Factory Factory posted:

SSD caching won't be enabled at first launch of Z68, and it will be pushed to all Sandy Bridge boards. Not sure if that includes "All at the same time," but there ya go.
Do you have more info about that? I thought it was a Z68 and later chipsets feature, but I may have just missed the article where they said they'd backport it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

real_scud posted:

edit: That worked like a champ. Now does anyone have a clue as to the preferred OC mobo? I thought the ASUS was good, but now I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't go back to a Gigabyte.
Asus is great for overclocking, it's just that that specific model only has 4 power phases rather than the usual 12 because it's the lowest-end model. Here's a feature table for Asus boards from awhile back that's still mostly accurate though a couple of the better choices seem to have disappeared. You might look at the Asus P8P67 for $164.99, it has the Realtek LAN chipset that people don't like, but if it ends up bothering you that much you can buy a NIC with a better chipset for less than the cost of moving up to the next board with an Intel chipset (though that does get you an even better board).

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is there a reason not to keep a pre-rev3 board? I'll probably never use more than four disks. I've been going at it for a decade and always replacing the smallest in the bunch with larger ones. The only thing that could suffer is the Blu-ray drive, which is on one of the potentially broken ports.
It doesn't affect the drives (though it could corrupt data on them), it's the controller on the board that burns out. Do you REALLY want to trust a motherboard that you know is going to have at least a little bit of its chipset literally burn up?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Intel has branded the Z68's SSD caching feature as "Smart Response." Intel REALLY needs a better marketing department...

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

necrobobsledder posted:

Looks like the Xeon E3-1220L isn't in stock... anywhere. I can't find the sucker anywhere. It's definitely in the ARK but I guess it hasn't made its way into distribution yet. The 1220L is significantly different from the E3-1220 in TDP and cache, so it's great for home file servers and the like where you care more about power usage than the performance. I don't think any of these Xeons include Romley support since that'll be on LGA1356 and LGA2011 (I seriously wonder if they picked LGA2011 for the year of release instead of for technical reasons). I believe these chips don't include the SAS controllers that the later Xeons will have.
This doesn't really seem like a good option from either a cost or power standpoint. That's a slightly worse chip than the Core i5 2390T, with the on-die graphics disabled to cut the TDP from 35W to 20W. Once you count the graphics card, it's more expensive and uses more power than the i5 2390T. A better option would be a Core i3 2100 (if you don't need the deleted features), while it has a 65W TDP, actual power usage will be similar. As a general rule, higher TDP processors complete the same workload with less total power used, because the efficiency gains from completing the job faster are greater than from using lower power for a longer time. The i3 doesn't have Turbo Boost which hurts its efficiency somewhat, but it still has SpeedStep, so idle power will be pretty much identical, and that's where it will spend a majority of its time.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
CoreTemp is for AMD CPUs, RealTemp is for Intel CPUs. On popular CPUs they may read the same, but CoreTemp tends to have old/wrong TjMax values for new and less common Intel CPUs, resulting in wrong readings. I'd recommend against using Prime95 because it doesn't stress a CPU very much, I use OCCT because it offers both a regular CPU Torture Test that's similar to Prime95, as well as a Linpack test mode to produce maximum load. Linpack will easily heat a CPU to 10-15C beyond Prime95 or the OCCT Torture Test, and I've had it find errors in just a few minutes on systems that were 24 hours Prime95 stable but having occasional issues. I use the regular torture test for an initial test to see if the system is stable enough for testing and properly cooled, then run Linpack to make sure it's solid and won't overheat no matter what.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
The Thermalright Silver Arrow for $74.99 is the best heatsink currently available, and it comes with two of the best fans on the market, the Thermalright TY-140, which push the most air with the lowest noise of any 140mm fan. Here's a review of the Silver Arrow comparing it to the previous king, the Noctua NH-D14. Here's a 140mm fan roundup where the Thermalright TY-140 won. At $75 it's kind of expensive, but if you're looking to overclock as far as you can with low noise levels, nothing will compete, and when you consider the two great 140mm fans are $26 together on their own, its not a bad deal.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Intel has pretty regular price drops, especially in response to AMD products. The main issue is that since AMD hasn't been performance-competitive for a long time, Intel has had no reason to be price-competitive.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
That's normal, don't reseat your heatsink. If you were to run a stress test on the CPU you'd probably see the cores settle at a temperature within a couple degrees of eachother. Because the cores are on a single piece of silicon AND covered by a heat spreader, there's no way that poor heatsink contact would cause higher temperatures for some cores over others.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Anandtech just published some additional details about the upcoming Sandy Bridge-E processors and X79 chipset. Disappointingly, only the hex-core processors will be unlocked, the quad-core CPUs are limited to 6 bins above the maximum Turbo frequency, or 4.5Ghz. I'm curious to know what the actual chipset<->CPU bus is, and how many PCIe lanes from the chipset are actually available for devices.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
From some quick Googling, when set to Disabled, the core voltage will NOT be reduced at idle, and all power phases will be powering the CPU. When set to Intel SVID, the core voltage WILL be reduced at idle, and all power phases will be powering the CPU. When set to Active Phase Switching, the core voltage will NOT be reduced at idle, but the number of power phases powering the CPU will be reduced according to load. HOWEVER, there have been a number of fixes to power management, so it was possible that the core voltage not being reduced at idle in APS mode was a bug at the time it was tested.

To expand on power phases: The CPU is powered by VRMs that convert from 12V to the CPU core voltage. Because nobody makes a VRM that can handle 100W+ AND will fit on a motherboard, they use a bunch of smaller "phases" operating in parallel. The downside is that each phase has some overhead, so if your CPU is sitting idle then you'll be wasting a lot of power (compared to the trickle the CPU is drawing) to keep each phase powered up and converting energy. The idea with APS is that if the power draw is low enough that it can be handled by less than the full number of phases, you shut off the unnecessary ones and concentrate the load on the remainder, eliminating the power overhead of the unneeded phases.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

freeforumuser posted:

Seems like Intel heavily gimped the SB mobile i3s to only a mere 2.1GHz, while the mobile i5s can turbo all the way up to 3.3GHz. I think they realized Arrandale i3s are simply too good for the price back then.
The Core i3s have always been pretty lovely deals, removing Turbo really kills performance and value. Thew new i3s are still pretty good deals compared to their predecessors, as they're 10% faster with 10% lower power usage (before you consider any of the new features), and are the same price. While only the lowest-end model has been released so far, only the two slowest Arrandale i3s came at launch.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

spasticColon posted:

Got my 2500K up and running but core #0 runs ~4-5 degrees Celsius cooler than the other three cores even under the load of Prime95. Is that normal?
A couple C is normal, you'll probably see a much smaller difference under heavy load like Linpack. Prime95 is a more typical load level so differences will be a bit larger. That said, it really isn't anything I'd worry about at all, you're just seeing actual differences in load levels between cores combined with sensor imprecision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Interesting revelation: The new Sandy Bridge-based Apple iMacs use the Z68 chipset. Maybe this means SSD caching will be coming in a future OSX update?