Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

Space Gopher posted:

Game performance is almost always bottlenecked on the GPU.

This isn't true anymore for a lot of popular games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

Space Gopher posted:

Mind providing some examples?

SC2, WoW, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2, Left 4 Dead (most source engine games,) most mmos are cpu limited. In fact I'd say in general most new RPG/RTS games are cpu limited on a $180-$220 videocard, but for FPS games like AvP, Crysis, Bioshock, etc, what you said is true and they are GPU limited. My main point is you are way better off spending extra to get a quad core CPU than spending over $250 or more on a videocard, unless you mainly play the bleeding edge FPS's.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
Here's a video of UEFI, from Asus, in action.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/19920

I had a pretty hardcore nerd moment while watching it. I've been building/fixing PC's since I was in high school and this looks so amazing compared to bios.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
Does anyone know of a list anywhere with confirmed UEFI motherboards for Sandy Bridge launch?

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
You have to update the bios on the Asus P8P67 boards from a FAT32 file system, that's why it tells you the file is invalid. Best way to do it is to put the bios file on a USB drive, load up the EFI bios, select EZ flash, then navigate to the thumb drive and select the file.

Everyone is complaining about cold booting issues with these boards and I'm having the same problem with my P8P67 Pro, even with the 1053 bios. The update solved the other stability issues though. I've done two 12 hour sets of Prime95 at 4.2ghz so I'm happy. I might try higher when a new, less flaky bios gets released just to see how high I can go.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

Metanaut posted:

I downloaded the latest (beta) BIOS for my P8P67 Pro and used the AI Suite to update it.

What kind of reports there have been about cold booting issues? Mine has been stable and cool with some minor overclocking (4.2GHz), but today when I turned my PC on, it wouldn't boot. I turned it off and waited for a bit, tried again and got a message saying "overclocking failed, run setup". For some reason my BCLK had went up to 103 and some other settings had been changed too. Only things I had changed was ratio to 42 and memory to DDR3/1600, because the auto setting picks 1333 for some reason (I'm using 1600 HyperX).

What you just described is what I'm talking about. Its happening to pretty much everyone when turning the PC on after its been off for a while. It seems like it has something to do with the board not saving memory settings, but I'm not sure about that. Short term solution is to just keep your PC on.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

Veinless posted:

My P8P67 does the same after a BIOS setting change. Save changes. PC abruptly power off. Powers on. Shuts off again. Powers on. Boots.

Again, from what I've seen they all do this, this is another boot issue people have been complaining about. As for the Clear RTC thing, that seems to have helped but not solved the issue. And for what its worth these same exact issues existed on a lot of P55 boards when they were released. This is what you get for being an early adopter and it will all get fixed with bios update(s) in the near future.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

R1CH posted:

I thought this was done on purpose to ensure a completely hard reset for all the components when overclocking.

I've had it happen on two different Pro boards without changing anything in bios.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
Is anyone else with an Asus P8P67 board having trouble getting dual channel working with their memory?

I'm using 4x2GB GSKILL DDR1600 and it worked fine on my previous P55 board, but it doesn't look like I can get dual channel mode working.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
Yeah somehow I got a 7.9 on the Windows score for memory. I don't think that's a very good benchmark but as long as other people see the same thing in CPUZ then I won't worry about it.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

movax posted:

Aside, anybody else have Win7 convinced they have a 5.8GHz i7?

I thought this was something I hosed up but there you go. Windows and some other things like 3D Mark think my CPU is 5.8ghz but the highest I've ever had it is 4.2ghz.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

Godinster posted:

I'm considering bumping it up to 4.5 GHz but I've no idea what to put the voltage at. I've been told 1.300-1.350 are about the max you want to do, but that's on some other message boards where people get a hardon for 5.0 GHz whereas I couldn't care less about having a signature with my e-penis processor.

I like the easy overclocks that don't require a ton of trial and error stability and settings changes. As soon as I got my setup up and running I set all 4 turbo multipliers to 40 and after two 12 hourish prime95 runs without errors I set it to 4.2 and did a couple more overnight torture tests. You have to remember that an i5 2500 has a normal turbo speed of 3.7, so in my case its only a 500mhz overlock. I also left all voltages at auto, the only settings besides the turbo multiplier i changed was phase control or something, which I set to medium. I might try 4.5 one day when I'm bored but I doubt it would be a big difference from 4.2. Going by various forum posts it seems 4.5 and up is where you start having to really tweak things and raise voltages to stay stable.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
What motherboard and bios? That sounds weird, are you sure you didn't set the turbo multiplier to 41 for only certain cores? You can set what you want to be on all cores or a per core basis.

Also I figured I'd post this here as its kind of neat.

Click here for the full 1841x563 image.

I used Realtemp to log my cpu speed and temps one night during a WoW raid, the graph begins about 1.5 hours before the raid and ends about 1.5 hours after. It has some nice features like excel output and I like it a lot more in general than hwmonitor and coretemp.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
I don't know what to say except that Intel motherboards have never been very good for any kind of tweaking or overclocking. I assume this is the bios you're using, its the newest one I could find on Intel's site. I don't think its worth it to by a new motherboard, but in the future if you plan on overclocking or tweaking at all I'd get a non-Intel board (Asus, MSI, or Gigabyte).

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

Shumagorath posted:

The motherboard was trying to auto-overclock the chip awhile ago but most of the time that just resulted in the box failing to POST a couple times when I would start it up, followed by normal running.

You really don't want to use the auto overclocking features. Also I'm going to assume you mean Turbo mode when you say hyperclocking.

I haven't used a Z68 board yet but your CPU EFI screen should look almost exactly like this.

Set overclock tuner to manual or XMP, then set turbo ratio to by all four cores (NOT per core), and set the multiplier to 40 if you want 4ghz.

For the rest:

BCLK/PEG tuner = 100 (don't raise this)
PLL overvolt = off
memory frequency should be whatever speed your memory is
epu power saving = disabled
load line calibration = regular (try next highest if you have trouble)
vrm frequency = auto
phase control = optimized
duty control leave at default
cpu current capability = 100% (try 110 if you have trouble)

For voltages leave them at default except cpu voltage. I'd set that to offset and +.025ish. These are the settings I use for my 2500k @ 4.2ghz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
I just wanted to give people a heads up that you can get a 6700k from jet.com as a new user for $350 shipped. I've been wanting to get one for a while and the absolute cheapest price with sales tax in California was around $425. Jet has the cpu in stock for $400 and new users can use SCARYMOMMY2015 coupon code to take $50 off. I ordered one on Saturday and its shipped.