Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
So Haswell isn't going to overclock any better than Ivy Bridge? That's a bit disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Combat Pretzel posted:

I guess those benchmarks from a while ago were a figment of our imagination.
These ones?

the article posted:

in most home-use cases users won't see one bit of difference
games and synthetic gaming benchmarks realize even less performance increase with DDR4 than the applications we tested on the previous page
A handful of exceptions aside, most of the graphs look like this:

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Has there been any talk about pairing CPUs with HBM/HMC?

PerrineClostermann posted:

What the hell is Skylake-E going to have that necessitates such a huge socket?

6 channel memory has got to be a big part of the reason.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

There will be no six core Kaby Lake. You're gonna have to wait until Coffee Lake for that, est Q4 2017, but chances are Intel will bullshit up a new socket just for that.

So Coffee Lake is yet another 14nm refinement which will be sold alongside 10nm Cannonlake. If Coffee Lake gets 6 cores, will Cannonlake?

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

PerrineClostermann posted:

Would a 3D printed delidder be strong enough to withstand multiple deliddings? The typical filament used is pretty weak structurally, isn't it?

One of the related vids is the same tool made with poo poo materials failing. They don't show the aftermath but the plastic of the tool gives before the lid pops.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Confusion posted:

Itanium was also intended as Intels chip to transition to 64 bit. Its failure gave AMD the opportunity to jump in and set the de facto industry standard with x86-64, which Intel now has to license from them. It was a humiliating failure for Intel, and it will be long before they try something like it again.

Well sure, they need to wait until we need 128 bit computing :haw:

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
As I recall the capacities were really low too, to the point where NVRAM is a better option for the moment.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

EoRaptor posted:

Cannon Lake 10nm is going to start as a Xeon brand and work its way down to consumer, instead of the usual consumer variants first. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/02/intel-coffee-lake-14nm-release-date/

Given they've targeted mobile first with their last few releases, presumably because of the power savings, could this mean the 10nm process doesn't have significantly less power use than 14nm?

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

maybe SATA4 will come out of development hell by then

To what end given NVMe exists?

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

redeyes posted:

Make sure and get a 1x 12v rail model. You do not want the older multiple 12v rail ones with modern video cards.

Why's that? Also is it going to make a difference with a 150W card like the 1070?

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Cygni posted:

The latest leaks are that 10nm CPUs wont come from intel in the desktop space until 2019 at the earliest. Considering the 10nm process completely failed for intel and they are already building out their 7nm process instead, its probably going to be a rough few years for them ahead.
What the gently caress? And here I was pencilling in an upgrade in a year or so on the assumption Intel's 10nm stuff would be out by then. If they can't make 10nm work, how do they expect to manage 7nm? Finally moving to EUV?

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

eames posted:

That'd be interesting as an unlocked K version, 7700K performance with an i3 at half the price. :thunk:

edit: fresh hot Intel leaks. Kaby Lake-X only X299 boards are out. Genius.

lol the logo looks like an eagle flexing.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

wargames posted:

So ram speed is more important then clock speed?

gently caress, good spot.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

redeyes posted:

I really think it's worth waiting till next summer to invest in something greater than 4 cores. Intel and AMD are battling hardcore right now and the only winners are nerds. This summer was the tipping point for major multiprocessor gains and first generation is a bitch to buy into.

At the start of the year I assumed next Summer would be a good time to buy since 10nm would be on the market but since it'll be mobile only initially, it could be a good while longer before we get a proper second gen of reasonably priced >4 core desktop chips.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Gyrotica posted:

I'm on a 4770k and Coffee Lake 8C is likely to be the last big release before a child begins to siphon away all the money, so that'll be my next upgrade.

And the last for a looooooong time. :sigh:

That child will have started school before a fast 8 core chip needs to be replaced.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Optane is for people who want an in memory database but can't afford the RAM. The cost isn't worth it for typical desktop use.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Has there been any news about when PCIe 4 will be supported by Intel/MB manufacturers yet? It was standardised quite a while ago at this stage.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Cygni posted:

For consumer market, I think I read 2020. Same time as DDR5.

That would be at least 2 1/2 years after standardisation. Seems excessive compared to the time to market of PCIe 3.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Gamers Nexus had a video on that topic which amounted to "if they were going to go that far, they may as well solder". I think part of the issue is liquid metal could be shaken free of where it's supposed to be during transit.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Avalanche posted:

Sorry for the laymen questions ahead of time, but there's some really interesting poo poo in this thread:

Is there active research on designing new architectures that don't have all the drawbacks of X86/ARM/PowerPC (which is not quantum-based q-bit stuff)? Is there anything out there now that seems really good, but has yet to get any mainstream usage due to the dominance of X86?

Is there another path that could be taken that is prohibitively expensive but could theoretically eek out much more significant gains than tweaking the poo poo out of X86?

The Mill shall vanquish all lesser architectures.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

BobHoward posted:

LOL they still can't attract VC so they can't afford to pay anyone
Perhaps they're hoping HP will buy them out so the Machine can incorporate the Mill.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Cygni posted:

whatever this is i hate it

It turns out the heat flux of a Xeon overclocked to 5GHz and the space shuttle's heat shield are in the same ballpark.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Seems like they'll ship with PCI-e 4 too by the looks of things. Though no wonder Intel keep bumping the core count if they don't expect 10 nm to arrive in earnest for close to another 2 years.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

JnnyThndrs posted:

3770K’s are even more absurd, they’re running about $175 on fleabay, which is half of what they ran new, in 2012. That’s insane.

Yeah, compare the difference 6 years made in the 90s. What value would a 66MHz 486 from 93 have compared to a 733MHz P3 in 99?

Admittedly it's nice not to have to upgrade every 2 years.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

wargames posted:

their sub 10nm isn't going to be silicon based we think but does require EUV which is suppose to be solved with 10nm.

wait what? I didn't think the move off silicon was due for another few years yet

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Llyd posted:

I was planning on buying a 9700k/9600k to finally replace my 2500k and get some of that sweet soldered goodness but the prices here are mad:

i7 8086K - 569€
i9 9900K - 559€
i7 9700K - 549€
i7 8700K - 539€
(9600K is not listed yet but I guess it's gonna be 529€ :rolleyes:)

I guess everyone is using the 14nm shortage as an excuse.
Is it that bad ?

9900k only €10 more than a 9700k? Bargain!

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Guess who's gluing a bunch of chips together for their next server CPU?

48 core 12 channel Xeons. TDP should be a laugh.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Interesting that Intel pushed the "whole separate team" angle. They're probably trying to invoke the memory of recovering from Netburst due to the work of the Core team.

Also not giving an actual time frame for 7nm is a complete tease.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
But... female on blower :confused:

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
28 cores at 5GHz is real.

Availability is a different matter.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Looking forward to Intel charging extra for non-HT CPUs now that it's a security benefit.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Kazinsal posted:

Can't wait to hear Paul explain why this is a good thing for Intel and how it utterly destroys AMD in all aspects

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

sauer kraut posted:

GN has gotten off track lately with crap like ^^that, LN cooling and collaborating with Roman.
I mean yeah he needs to do a video about every day to put food on the table, but c'mon.

Hello.

Did you know you don't have to watch every video on a channel? It's possible to only click on those ones you're interested in.

Well, goodbye.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
So SSE and AVX are distinguished from VLIW by the former being a single vectorised instruction and the latter being (potentially) a mix of instructions? Was anything in Itanium's design salvageable for x86?

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Look if they're calling it 14nm++, couldn't they just shorten it to 15nm?

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Deuce posted:

They're gonna start calling their non-HT lines security edition or some poo poo.

:perfect:

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

MaxxBot posted:

Meanwhile TSMC is already starting N7+ volume production :lol:

https://twitter.com/chiakokhua/status/1131931279602069504

5nm volume in Q1 2020, loving wild.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

NewFatMike posted:

Separate threads are important because you can address a lot of platfrom specific things and troubleshooting and component guides.

Don't forget, more threads = better than.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

canyoneer posted:

If you double (yielded) die per wafer and increase costs less than 2x, you have come out ahead.

450mm wafers are going to be totally transformative to the industry

Have there been new developments with this? It seemed to have fallen by the wayside a few years back since lithography has become so expensive and it gets no benefit from bigger wafers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

crazypenguin posted:

I think it's more likely than not that that chip was just the cheapest thing they could get done fast, and without much optimization for power efficiency.

I doubt the next generation of pcie 4 supporting chipsets will need a fan.

Hopefully not because PCIe 6 is already being developed and without efficiency improvements, mobos will have to ship with delta fans to keep cool.