Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raptop
Sep 3, 2004
not queer for western digital

Alereon posted:

Intel has also connected all parts of the CPU together using a high-speed ring bus, which is interesting because it physically sits on top of the L3 cache, like a highway overpass, allowing high-performance connectivity without taking up any room.

I hope that isn't a quote from IDF, because it definately isn't true. SandyBridge cache slices sit opposite cpu cores on the ring; i.e. the core and the cache slice straddle the ring interface. There's additional wires to let a core talk to this nearest slice directly without having to emit a ring transaction. The thing I always found interesting was that the 3d graphics unit could also use the L3 cache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raptop
Sep 3, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

How can a mostly fixed function GPU be DirectX 10 compliant?

(Apparently) Other companies reuse their programmable hardware for doing operations that could have been compliant if done in fixed function hardware. Or maybe he's just comparing Gen architecture with Larrabee. It's hard to tell with intel architects.

Raptop
Sep 3, 2004

Alereon posted:

. This is probably a direct response to Sandy Bridge's on-die graphics not supporting OpenCL,

Can someone named JawnV6 confirm this because a certain architect suggested otherwise when he was lording over us how our 'other' graphics solution got poo poo canned

Raptop
Sep 3, 2004
Sandybridge definately supports OpenCL

Raptop
Sep 3, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

From what I've read, their OpenCL implementation will use SSE and AVX, not the integrated GPU.

What you read is bullshit; it really does use the Gen core. I wrote that after sitting through a technical presentation by the compiler team working on it

Raptop
Sep 3, 2004

Misogynist posted:

Has Intel announced even a tiny bit what their plans are for Sandy Bridge in the HPC space?

Next HPC processor is Eagleton which is a 32 nm product with Westmere cores. A year after that is Jaketown which uses Sandybridge cores.

Raptop
Sep 3, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone knows whether there are virtualization improvements coming with SB? My Google-Fu leads me always to old Nehalem uArch slides and pages.

--edit: vvv Multiple PSUs with power-on chaining.

Maybe some minor uarch improvements. I think VMCS cache is a feature for the Xeon sku only.

Raptop
Sep 3, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

If any of the other SNB vets in FM want to meet up for lunch or at least to awkwardly stare at each other's shoes, hit me up on PM.

My spirit will be at hotdog island.

Raptop
Sep 3, 2004

Roving Reporter posted:

Anyone know the employee discount Intel gives their employees for hardware? My friend's brother works for Intel and I'm wondering if it would be worth it to ask him for a favor.

If its only 5-10% with a lot of hoops to jump through its not worth it but if not, I may just ask.

If it's like last time it will be months before SNB shows up at the employee store.

Raptop
Sep 3, 2004
While there Intel goons that work on related projects, or on different areas of the Cougar Point team; no one who was involved in directly in debugging this failure or in the design of the SATA analog circuitry has an SA forums account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raptop
Sep 3, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

and at some point just remove the x86 decoder. Apparently it is that piece which eats a lot of power.

Yeah, no. Decode is literally the smallest cluster in any of our core designs. I'm loving tired of hearing this canard, even from people internally who should know better.

Raptop fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 19, 2011