Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Ke$ha should do a rendition of her song and call it Tock Tick and make it about Intel's product line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

It should be mentioned that the Intel ARK site loving owns and I want to have its children. Why can't all hardware manufacturers have something like that?

Also having chrome set up with an ark.intel.com as a search engine setup in its address bar is clutch.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

SpaceBum posted:

The E3 family are desktop silicon with features enabled. They also have some limitations like 32 GB max, no RDIMM options, only two memory channels and are single processor only with a quad core. The E5s and E7s are beefed up, 192GB memory max 4 channels and up to 8 cpus per motherboard and can have up to eight or ten cores per cpu.
From what I see, yes the E3-1375v3 would be similar to a 4770k, but the xeon would have some more featured enabled like VT-d for a VM hosts, and ECC ram support; in case anyone was wondering. I'm not even sure most productivity programs make use of TSX, or will in the next few years.
Z** anything won't support ECC, IIRC none of the recent desktop northbridges have.

edit; E7s 88** series can support 8 cpus per Mobo.

E5-24xx can support 375GB and E5-26xx can support of to 750GB of RAM. Of course it would cost you a lot of money to do that but there you go. I also believe that is when they're used in a dual socket configuration if my experience buying these is anything. Either way it will be a while before Haswell Xeons that are useful come out. Right now they're still on Sandy Bridge 'tech'.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

mayodreams posted:

A 22% increase in clock speed is not a minor difference. Some workloads are not heavily threaded, so clock speed becomes king, and a 140W TDP 4 core proc will get you better results than an 18 core with 25W more TDP that will throttle cores to maintain that TDP max.

Also you can put 8 of them in a system :D

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

It may be consumers just get 2.5g/5g ethernet and not 10g. Though those are meant more for wireless access points maybe the cost point makes sense.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Whats the deal with these new Xeon W chips? Not many reviews and they seem to be the new HEDT chips. Was poking around at building a home lab and theyre intriguing but not sure how much more when you can get a 5950X on sale or even just using the 12900Ks. No E cores i suppose is useful here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Yes