Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Alereon posted:

It was actually clocked at ~400fps, and that includes decoding, scaling, and encoding simultaneously. Keep in mind also that since this is being done in dedicated fixed-function hardware, there won't be much of a performance impact on the system. You could have a video transcoding in the background while playing a game without the performance of either being impacted. Besides, the current generation of GPU-accelerated encoders look like crap, and most people don't really care if they're just putting videos on their mobile devices or uploading to Youtube.
Oh god I hope FRAPS decides to take advantage of this. Realtime full-res encoding of FRAPS to h264 with no performance impact would be awesome. I hadn't even thought of that before. Im more concerned with no performance impact than h264, trans-coding is fine as long as the quality and speed are there to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

As I mentioned before, I have a Q8200+8GB+9800GTX+. I'm planning to upgrade to a 2500(k?), 4GB, and whichever $200 GPU is best the day sandy is available. (I'll save 8GB of RAM for the laptop, games don't really need it, yet.

Nobody that has an i7 machine *needs* to upgrade. You still have one of the fastest machines around for consumer use. The P4/C2D/C2Q chips are getting a bit old, however.

As to new socket, if 5% of consumer upgraded their CPU I'd be amazed, if *1%* have ever upgraded their CPU without a mobo swap I'd also be amazed. I certainly have never done a CPU upgrade without a new mobo. Its a non-issue. The only people who care are us enthusiasts and we can sell our old boards WITH the CPU, so its *still* not a big deal.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

leppo posted:

You couldn't be more wrong for these upcoming chips (based on all the info released so far).
Everything I've heard says they're atom with a better GPU. CPU better/worse depending on model, GPU better than current atom paired GPUs. Eh, I'm not looking at the $400 market anyway when I can buy a refurb latitude or the like ($1200 orig) for $600.

It'll be interesting if any site does a top to bottom lineup comparison test of brazos-llano-bulldozer compared with atom-sandy(2c)-sandy(4c) using just integrated GPUs.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 14, 2010

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Edward IV posted:

Ontario and Zacate are structured similarly to an Atom processor (similar pipeline depth) except that they have an out-of-order instruction set rather than the Atom's antiquated in-order instruction set. The out-of-order instruction means it will consume more power with Ontario and Zacate having a TDP of 8 and 18 W compared to the Atom N450's 5.5 W.

However, it will be vastly more powerful with claims that at least the faster Zacate will be 90% as powerful as a similarly clocked desktop processor. So, Zacate may end up being almost as powerful as an Arrandale ULV processor with better graphics and lower price.

I'm quite excited for Zacate despite having graphics weaker than I would like. Not to knock on the graphics since it'll be as powerful as a discrete Radeon HD 5450 and I would have preferred a discrete Radeon HD 5650-level card. The Ontario/Zacate spec does have provisions for discrete graphics on a PCIe 2.0 x4 bus. It'll offer a massive advantage over Ion 2's PCIe x1 bus. I hope that some OEMs will offer some models with a mid-end discrete graphics.
As much as I think the APU is a good idea, we'll have to see how it ends up comparing to sandy-2C-LV. 18W isn't out of the realm of possibility for a 1.6Ghz ULV chip, and I expect at equal clocks sandy will be faster for CPU. If they don't mangle the GPU clocks too badly, it'll probably be just as fast there, too. Accordig to this its showing about 50% faster than westmere's GPU, and sandy is supposed to be about 2x as fast. Even if that gets cut down for ULV, equal speed is probably.

We'll just have to see how pricing turns out. Zacate is supposed to be about 75mm^2 (40nm) while sandy-2C is probably going to be 140mm^2+-5mm^2. Thats a lot of extra die space for economies of scale to make up for. But AFAIK the Atom SoCs are even smaller (for less performance). AMD has really been executing well on a die space perspective, lately.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

SRQ posted:

I want to say I'm going to play it smart and keep my current i5 750 build, but I know in my heart I'm gonna blow a cashwad on this. It'll still use the same DDR3 ram though, please?
yes, sandy will still use DDR3 (dual channel for s1155, quad channel for s2011)

Using realtek Gbit instead of the Intel one makes no sense to me and mildly frustrates me. But won't deflect me from grabbing the P67A-UD3x or P67A-UD4.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

yup. Top brazos is barely faster in CPU than atom, GPU is a good deal faster than current intel IGPs, but still very slow. Irrelevant to me, searching for a market in general. If Intel gets a budget sandy out for the $400-500 laptop market it'll destroy brazos all the way around (as long as it keeps the 12EU config).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anything special in the Sandy Bridge LGA2011 over the LGA1156 one? Apart from more PCIe lanes and quad channel memory?
Almost certainly a 130W TDP, no on-die GPU. More cores (6-8).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

Has there been anything stating if the cooler mounting holes are the same as 1156/1366? I was thinking about picking up a Corsair H50 which works with my current LGA775 as well as 1156/1366. If the mounting points are the same, I would go ahead and get it, but I don't want to spend the money on a nice cooler and have it not fit within 3 months
yes, s1155 is heatsink compatible with s1156 heatsinks. And s2011 will be compatable with s1366 heatsinks.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

spasticColon posted:

Are these going to be the prices in the US as well or will they be cheaper? I'm thinking they would be cheaper because we don't have a VAT over here. I'm still hoping against hope for a i5-2500K for ~$200.

I also have a question about the K edition processors. You can only overclock them by increasing the multiplier right? If that's the case wouldn't you run into a bottleneck at the base clock since that cannot be increased at all? I just figured a 4 or 5GHz overclock would have a bottleneck at the unchanged base clock speed or am I getting mixed up with the older Core 2 chips and their external FSB?
baseclock doesn't actually carry data, its just to sync the various clocks to. memory bus to RAM (controller is on die), PCI-E to add-in cards (and/or on-die GPU), DMI to southbridge (link is onboard), etc.
$200 even is a bit low, Id like to see $210 but $220-250 is more likely.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

My planned build is a 2500K & GA-P67A-UD4. I'm hoping to get both for <$450. Already have the rest of the build on the way or being recycled.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

movax posted:

Should I buy DDR3 now or wait until January?
Id been watching the RAM (G.Skill ECO DDR3-1600/7 1.35v) for months, finally dropped by $10 and jumped.
Prices are dropping, it may be better to wait unless you find a great deal.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

3-4 weeks and pricing is no worse. The 2500K will OC better and run cooler, with better IPC and higher stock clocks. No contest unless you absolutely have to build it for Christmas. (Guy at work is doing this. Going to laugh when we compare benchmarks in January during a store gaming session.)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I still love SupCom and it chokes to death on my Q8200@2.33Ghz. 2500K@4.0-5.0Ghz sounds much better to me.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

movax posted:

It's definitely a hard launch, but rest assured, Newegg and co. will gouge for a few weeks before prices settle. I'd be a little more worried about mobo availability, once the first few AnandTech/similar reviews come out recommending a certain board(s) at a certain pricepoint, they sell out reaaaaly fast.

Question, because I'm ignorant and skipped Core-iX: i5 and i3s use dual-channel DDR3, i7s use triple-channel? So usually 4 or...6 slots? 6x2GB sounds good, but I feel OCing would be easier with 3x4GB (or does that not matter anymore because there is no FSB to overclock anymore, and no memory straps to worry about? I feel so out of date :smith:)

e: Any goons with a Thermaltake Ultra 120 Extreme know about mounting adapter availability?
My P67A-UD4 is already on the way. :) Just waiting on a 2500K.

i7-8xx use dual channel (s1156/s1155)
i7-9xx use triple channel (s1366)
i9-9xx (Whatever they go with) will use quad channel (s2011, H2'2011)

Get a s1156 mounting adapter, its the same specs as s1155.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

movax posted:

Didn't know 6 Series boards were out yet...time to do some shopping/drooling! Will look into a 1156 mounting adapter, thanks. No sense in replacing a perfectly good block of copper.
Officially they're not. ;)
buy.com had it in a not-in-catalog page, but google shopper found it. I'm kind've worried about it being not the right one, but not too much.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Gigabyte is to be avoided like the plague. I found various previews of their new boards and they do indeed still have regular old BIOSes.
The only thing that interests me about EFI is possibly faster boot times. But I always use sleep, making boot times irrelevant.
I'll still with the P67A-UD4 I have now, thanks. (Even if I don't have a CPU, yet.)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

With both an SSD and faster boot times, I wonder about just going to hibernate.
Hibernate is enough data that I wouldn't want to use it on an SSD. Hybrid sleep is useful, however. Put system to sleep, let it write the hibernation data, unplug, carry to LAN. Plug in and hit power, boom everything is back where it was.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm confused, you don't want to hibernate because it requires too much data but you want to use hybrid sleep even though it writes the same hibernation data?
No, I said hydrid sleep is useful, but I wouldn't use it with an SSD. My systems have 6-8GB RAM, and I wouldn't want that much data going on/off/repeat an SSD 4x (or more) a day. useful != will always use.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Jet Age posted:

Has anyone seen any P67 based mITX boards? I want to do a SFF gaming box.
I haven't been looking for them, but there are definitely s1156 mITX boards available. There will be s1155 boards, the question is when, not if.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Jet Age posted:

Yeah all the designs I've seen so far have been H67 based. As you say no doubt they will come, but it looks like it will be all H67 for mITX at launch.
ok, you're not going to find P67 mITX boards, but yes for s1155. There is no reason for a company to design a P67 board that requires a discrete GPU on a mobo that small.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Alereon posted:

Not directly Sandy Bridge-related, but of interest to those of you building new systems: Oversupply sends DRAM prices to one-year low. Bulk DDR3 prices, which were predicted to drop below $10/GB by the end of 2010, have now reached only $6.72 per gigabyte. Prices are expected to recover a bit with rising demand in Q2, but before then we'll probably see prices below the record low of $6.48/GB set back in March 2009. Granted these are wholesale prices for the DRAM chips only, and current Newegg retail is about $10.75/GB for DDR3-1333 in 4GB DIMMs, but we can expect the retail price to continue to decline, trailing the wholesale DRAM prices until they start to recover.

Those of you in the market for RAM in the next few months might want to consider getting more than you need as a hedge against higher upgrade prices later on. I went to 8GB of RAM when DDR2 bottomed out and it was a good choice. I'd definitely get at least 8GB with any new Sandy Bridge system.
I picked up 2x2GB for sandy, if prices do keep falling I'll grab another 2x2 of the same stuff.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

If its the 5th I get to play with mine this weekend. If its the 9th I don't.
Guess which one I'm hoping for?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

oversteer posted:

Planning on a i5-2500 as a new system build, but getting hung up on this P67 vs H67 thing -

H67: no overclock, on board graphics, and Quick Link transcoding
- but the onboard graphics are not that hot ($50-range equivalent, no DX11)
- you can't use Quick Link if you use an addon graphics card
- surely a stock i5 chip can transcode 1080p to a lower res while you do other stuff
- ffmpeg won't work with Quick Link for a long time if ever

P67: can overclock
- but do I really need to think about overclocking? Casual gamer, 1920x1080 monitor but I'm not a FPS twitcher so I can cope with 25-30fps

Edging toward the P67 and a cheap GPU for now
If you are that conflicted, and willing to wait a month, wait for the Z67 (Z68?) boards to come out. Best of both in one package.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

movax posted:

Z68, and I thought it was Q2 at earliest, so it'd be like April or later.
Could be. I got my P67A-UD4 on the 17th, so I really haven't paid a whole lot of attention to mobos on this one.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Nonpython posted:

That works out well. I am getting a new computer around xmas.

Pardon my ignorance, but overclocking affects all the cores, not just Turbo Mode, right?
Without having done it myself, with the K chips you can adjust the turbo multipliers, or the normal multis. So either way.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

H67 board, perhaps?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I'm totally satisfied with my UD4. No UEFI, but who cares about that. AFAIK it'll still boot off a 3TB drive, if I had one to throw in there. I don't care about boot speeds, sleep has totally replaced shutdown for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I am indeed looking forward to Ivy Bridge.
My i5-2500K@4.6Ghz doesn't get used much, and my i5-540M needs to get faster/cooler/quad-core-er.
(Also SATA3 for this fancy new Agility3 SSD.)