Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I've only really been playing Dawn of War 2 for the last couple of years. I'd like to upgrade my CPU to get some more FPS and have been contemplating the i5 760 because it seems to outperform even an i7 920 in games using Relic's Essence Engine:

With a game like Dawn of War 2, that apparently benefits from more L3 cache (see link below), is the i5 760 with it's 8MB L3 cache likely to outperform the i5 2500 which has only 6MB L3 cache?

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,677599/Dawn-of-War-II-Benchmark-review-with-25-CPUs/Reviews/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Alereon posted:

Your link seems to show DoWII NOT scaling significantly with cache size, so I'm not sure why they said it did.

They compared the Core 2 Duo E8400 and Intel Core 2 Duo E6850. Same clock speed. Different cache size. 10% faster with 2MB more.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Tomshardware say:

quote:

Where we do see the potential for Sandy Bridge-E to drive additional performance is in processor-bound games like World of Warcraft or the multiplayer component of Battlefield 3 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-4.html

Does anyone know where I can find some benchmarks which demonstrate the performance gains described here? Or is this just speculation?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Can anyone give me the dimensions of the stock heatsink/fan that ships with the new Haswell CPUs? I actually just need the height of the thing.

I'm trying to figure out how tall it sits off the motherboard and I can't find this info using my google skills. From the photos it looks like about 6cm tall:

KingEup fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Oct 16, 2013

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

td4guy posted:

I just measured mine. 5cm from the bottom of the black legs to the top of the fan enclosure.

Thank you for measuring!

It is indeed for a SFF build.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Am I right to assume that all the 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 Processors offer roughly the same gaming performance as one another?

In other words it wouldn't make any difference to my experience if I bought the i5-4570 instead of the i5-4670K?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Odds are pretty good that a 4570 will carry you this generation, and where it couldn't the 4670K won't do much better.

Thank you!

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

So I just unboxed my 4570 and the heatsink has what appears to be thermal paste pre-applied in three strips on the contact point. Just wanting to confirm that this is what it is and I don't have add any more.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 11, 2013

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

EdEddnEddy posted:

The thing about that Razer Core though is the price ($499!?!) and the fact that you are limited to PCI-E 3.0 @ 4X. Which if each PCI-E Standard is double the last, that means it is as fast as PCI-E 1.0 X16 which was good years ago, but throwing anything better than a 970 in there seems like it would bottleneck the hell out of it.

I don't see how bottlenecking is a problem. We have adaptive sync these days and as long as your minimum FPS is not dropping below say 40 fps you aren't going to notice.

Looking forward to the new NUC. Here's hoping it will run DOTA2 on high settings at 1080p.

Edit: some Razer Core benchmarks here:

KingEup fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 26, 2016

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

When people talk about integrated graphics are they really just referring to the CPU handling GPU duties?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Paul MaudDib posted:

No, most modern [consumer] GPUs actually have a small specialized GPU built right onto the die.

Ok so how is RAM allocated to the on die GPU? I read that dual channel RAM makes a huge difference when it comes to gaming but is there any limit to how much can be used?

I'm curious because because I'll probably buy the new NUC with iris pro (for playing DOTA2 only at this stage) and I'm assuming it going to be equivalent to a Radeon 5850 (but that only has 1GB ram).

Hmmm... according to Apple

quote:

Apple computers using Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 as the primary GPU dynamically allocate up to 1.5 GB of system memory.

I assume it would be the same for non Apple systems.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 9, 2016

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Is there an AMD CPU megathread?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Someone gave me this motherboard: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87E-itx/ but it doesn't list the CPU I was going to buy for it in the CPU support list. Is that likely because it flat out wouldn't support it or because they just haven't bothered testing it? This is the CPU I want to buy for it: i5-5675C

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

it'll need a new bios, if it'll work at all (some manufacturers don't give new bios to their previous generation same socket boards)

i won't count on it though

drat, it's an expensive CPU so probably too risky.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

P.S. Is this still the build that's going into the really tiny case?

Yeah, I thought I lucked out for a second there.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

japtor posted:

Intel just announced some 65W Skylake + Crystal Well chips:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10281/intel-adds-crystal-well-skylake-processors-65w-edram

...but not the socketed kind. Perhaps one day y'all will get a 5775C successor, but not today.

I'd buy this if they there was Thunderbolt 3 compatibility but we have to wait for Kaby Lake for that, right?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Even though I could put my current m-ITX build in one of these tiny cases http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HTPC...0208.8.4.cZljpD for some reason I'm senselessly attracted to the new NUC and Razer Core.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Paul MaudDib posted:

For anyone who's super set on iGPUs, it's probably worth holding off for a little while because Intel is rumored to be introducing FreeSync (VESA Adaptive Sync) support in Kabylake. If not Kabylake, Cannonlake for sure.

AMD APUs already support it for anyone interested.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Cardboard Box A posted:

Yeah, the whole graphics extender box concept makes sense for laptop users but no sense to couple with a NUC.

I like the idea of being able to unplug something and put it away when it's not needed.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

mediaphage posted:

Kind of a pain to get out a box, adapter, and plug the monitor and/or other peripherals into the new box every time you want to game.

You don't have to plug monitor or peripherals in.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

As far as gaming goes will it make a difference if I choose a system with a i7 6700T over a i5 6400T (all other specs being equal incl. identical discrete GPU: NVIDIA 960GTX)?#

Edit: it's $182 extra for the i7.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 18, 2016

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

PBCrunch posted:

The GTX 960 is kind of a bad choice, consult the GPU thread. Spending half of that 180$ difference upgrading to an RX480, waiting for GTX 1060, or finding a good deal on a GTX 970 or 980 world be much better for most games.

My monitor only runs at 1360x768 so it should be fine for years to come.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

HMS Boromir posted:

The only reason I'm planning to ever upgrade from 1360x768 at all is because adaptive sync sounds like a cool way to further extend the life of a GPU by softening the effect of framerate drops once it starts getting long in the tooth.

Same.

Apparently NVIDIA might be working on adding integer scaling to their drivers so that should extend GPU life even further. Quite happy to go 4k or more as long as it has an adaptive refresh rate and interger scaling mode.

Why integer scaling is important: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/844905/geforce-drivers/integer-scaling-mode/

KingEup fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 19, 2016

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Paul MaudDib posted:

Buy a 27" 1440p monitor for desktop work. If you really insist on buying lovely graphics cards, play games at 720p, which is exactly 1/4th of 1440p resolution.

Integer scaling hasn't been implemented on a driver level so the fact that 720p is exactly 1/4th is meaningless.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

VulgarandStupid posted:

Edit: As a side note, I think Thunderbolt could have some really cool applications. For example, you could run a computer like a home server. Just put your Thunderbolt monitor in your room/office and the computer in the basement, then run a Thunderbolt up from the basement to your monitor. You can plug all your peripherals into the monitor, but take the heat and noise generated by computer out of the room as well as keep your computer in a generally cooler enviroment to begin with. It's a much better idea than Linus' whole room water cooling or similar ideas. I just don't know what the constraints of the Thunderbolt look like in terms of bandwidth and how long you can run your cables.

Linus has already done this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NshXgisNly4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

crazypenguin posted:

Oh neat. I didn't know this was possible, let alone at only a $500 premium.

Yeah, it's definitely the way to go. I'm so sick of trying to build a quiet PC that $500 is a bargain.