Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
So should Joe Public Gamer wait for a day 1 Sandybridge/Bulldozer rig or buy up a decent i5/Athlon 2 rig as a stopgap and wait to see if the new socket has any major bugs in the first releases?

Basically does this have the potential to be another Socket#754 that receives no support after a couple of years or is the current generation in that spot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
So given that 6Gbps ports are backwards compatible would it still be worth picking up an SB rig now and how likely is it to find some discount mobos before march?
Assuming a gaming rig with 1TB spinpoint F3, SSD and an optical drive, not some insane home file server packed with 2TB drives.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I suppose the important question now is will prices rise or fall in March at the relaunch?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Got a shiny new case and all the gubbins except mobo, cpu and optical drive waiting for that re-release.
Then I hear that the Z68 boards will support some kind of new SSD cacheing from mechanical drive installations and now I don't know what to do. Or even if I need it but I like how a friend explained it, mirroring boot files and regularly used apps from a mechanical drive onto an SSD and replacing them with dynamic links.

It's like technobabble can also be a shiny thing at the same time and I MUST HAVE THIS THING!

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
scan.co.uk have B3 p67 boards on pre-order with no current ETA.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Got a preorder for the p8p67 pro from https://www.scan.co.uk due in stock for March 10th.

Also heard from people saying they have order confirmations for March 8th but not sure where from other than it's a swedish site. Possibly Komplett It is www.komplett.se

Verizian fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 2, 2011

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
My p8p67 pro preorder came in yesterday and everything is great, except the recycled Spinpoint F3 HDD I put in makes loud grinding noises each boot and is no longer visible in the EFI. New one on order for monday.

Hopefully this was just the stress of deleting 600GB, repartitioning then swapping the drive while it was still warm and not another SATA bug.

Also has anyone had problems with EFI detecting mouse movement properly?
Horizontal sensitivity is incredibly high even for a 5200dpi mouse, vertical movement is completely ignored and the mouse pointer slowly moves up the screen with no way to bring it back down. -Fake Edit http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1579454

GOD drat IT! USB loving 360 pad works in EFI and overrides mouse controls if the stick is a tiny bit off centre!

-Real edit.

Arseballs! Further googling says that some SATA2 mechanical drives are not fully compatible with the SATA3 ports on Asus boards with different bugs affecting different combinations of Intel/Marvel 6gbs ports and different manufacturers. Unfortunately the Spinpoint F3 HE***** has problems with both of those and another minor bug that results in slower access time with the 3gbs ports. The Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ has a firmware update available that fixes this but it's not listed as compatible with the newer HE model.

I had one of each model and a 2nd HE on order that's already been dispatched so take this as a warning.

Verizian fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 5, 2011

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Everything I've read says it uses the same cooler as older i5 cpu's and will work fine even for overclocking.
I bought a Hyper 212+ because ambient temperatures fluctuate wildly over the year and I really hate the plastic pushpins used for stock Intel coolers.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
i5 2500k clocked at 4.32Ghz under a Hyper 212+ here.
I also Bought 2 more coolermaster fans and stuck them on the heatsink in push/pull but I didn't notice they had 3 pin connectors instead of 4 pin So I fit the 4pin fan that came with the heatsink as a rear exhaust. The two cpu fans are connected to 3pin chassis headers running on the p8p67's Turbo profile while the rear exhaust is on the CPU header running in a custom user profile, 20% at 20C and 100% at 64C. There's a fourth intake fan at the bottom front of the case just hooked to a 3pin-molex adaptor.
Current cpu temperature is 29C, maxes out at 61C under load with ambient room temp at 25-30C.

Will this be enough or will I need to rework the fans before summer heatwaves kick indoor temps to the 55-60C spikes I've seen in the last 6 years?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Crysis 2 is 32bit so it can't see more than 3.5GB including video ram.

That said 8GB is nice for doing other things at the same time as gaming as long as they are not HDD bound. DoW2, WoW and BF:BC2 can run at the same time with full settings with about 5-10 seconds delay on alt tabbing. Everything runs smooth when it has focus except windows pops up a warning that you should disable aero but I've been ignoring that.

Task manager performance tab has about 6GB memory in use and 80% average cpu load across all four cores when testing this.

Also youtube slows any game down if you have flash hardware acceleration enabled but that's down to video card.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Brainfart, was thinking of a project a friend of mine is doing, rendering 720p video using a second hand AthlonFX rig with a 320GB 5400rpm HDD is painful to watch.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I have a slight problem with overclocking my rig. On cold days I can get 4.5Ghz easy but as the weather gets warmer it ends up rebooting on startup and automatically reducing clock speed to the next lowest 0.1Gz. With the 25C days recently I can't get above 4.1Ghz.

i5 2500k in an Asus p8p67 pro with 4 x 120mm fans.
One front intake, one rear exhaust and two in push/pull on a hyper 212+ heatsink.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Problem is the best way to harvest graphene is to grab a pencil and draw on the sticky side of scotch tape. That doesn't tend to produce a uniform layer suitable for building chips out of.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
What are you supposed to do if you've got an i5 2500k running at 4.6Ghz on air, love the single threaded performance for gaming but could really do with more cores? My phone shoots 2160p video which is a major headache to edit and render compared to 720p/1080p. Not to mention trying to record and mix multiple 24bit audio tracks using a DAW like Reaper.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
From what I've seen everything after the 2500K has been a step backward for single thread performance. I've got mine clocked to 4.6Ghz with push/pull air cooling and that puts it within ~3% benchmark performance of a 4.6Ghz overclocked 6700K. Though the 6700K has much superior multi thread support, most games don't need that, especially AAA console ports. The main benefit the 2500K had was P67 chipsets couldn't use the integrated GPU so it basically acted as a built in heatsink and the heatspreader was soldered on while following chips have tended to use a less conductive TIM adhesive.

Some people also say that you can't hammer all the cores on a modern overclocked i7 because the iGPU will add some heat and it'll throttle down two of the physical cores before it hits the real world gaming performance of a 2500K. Don't know how accurate that is as there's no clear answer on if the 6700K is an upgrade to the 2500K. I still plan to buy one for my new system because I want to be able to comfortably edit 2k and 4k videos as well as use my 8 in audio interface for recording with ReaperDAW.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Well that's good to know. When I've asked on here before I was told it's closer to a sidegrade to go for a 6700K. Googling brings up a lot of misinformation too and it's hard to filter through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Didn't Intel say that after Skylake, they would likely decrease single threaded performance in favour of better multi-threading, lower temps and lower power usage because Desktop PC's aren't where the big money is while most gamers are perfectly fine with performance equivalent to an overclocked CPU from five generations back?