Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

R1CH posted:

Also it is very annoying to clean old thermal paste out of the Hyper 212+.
Any Xylene based cleaner or MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) will dissolve thermal paste so fast it almost reacts like you dipped it in acid. Just wear thick rubber gloves and do it outside if you use it. You can find both in Lowes or Home Depot. I know Home Depot keeps it in the paint stripper section, about $7 a can that will last for a looong time.

Actually that would work OK too, just leaves deposits you have to wash off with water if you care about getting your temps a few degrees C lower. MEK/xylene are still the best though, particularly for those HSF's that have the heat pipes exposed and have lots of nooks and crannies.
\/\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Kashwashwa posted:

I must have got a poo poo chip :(... it won't stay stable above 4.3ghz and that's with 1.35v. I thought the new motherboard might make a difference, but I get identical results as my last (Gigabyte P67A-UD3).
The mobo won't make much of a difference with these newer AMD/Intel chips that have the memory controller on die and are being OC'd via the multiplier. That goes double for the Intel chips since BCLK overclocking is almost totally useless now.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

movax posted:

Also, what is the "max" safe VCore for 24/7, non-electromigration causing operation? I know Asus's EFI BIOS turns the voltage red after you exceed 1.330V, but I've seen some yahoos running at 1.4V 24/7 as well.

Supposedly 1.35v is the max for 24/7 use. A little higher is certainly fine for a while but you usually need water cooling at that point unless you like the sound of jet engines in your case. I don't think anyone knows exactly how long it'll take to actually kill the chip at a given voltage outside of Intel though. Doing quick n' dirty googles shows people who've gone up to 1.5v and have had thier chips suddenly die already.

e: "Turbine/jet engine" is pretty subjective admittedly. Personally I don't mind the WHOOOOOOSH of the several moderate rpm 120mm fans in my case but most people I know flip out at that sort of thing. YMMV
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 4, 2011

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Alereon posted:

Just a reminder that water cooling is always louder than air cooling. The pumps alone in one of those commercial Antec/Corsair kits are about as loud as a noisy case fan, and the fans have to spin much faster to get equivalent cooling because water cooling is so much less efficient (remember, the water is just moving heat from the CPU to a radiator, and heat pipes move more heat faster without a pump). It's possible to build your own custom water cooling system that will out perform air (by using a massive car radiator for example, or putting the radiator underground), but that's not what most people mean when they talk about water cooling.
Well that depends on how you do it. The cheap pre built kits can indeed suck, once you get around or over $100 with dual or triple 120mm fan radiators they seem to get good to decent with low noise. I've seen people use car radiators and stuff with good pumps and you litterally cannot hear a sound since they have no fans. The gently caress off huge heat exchanger method also can get you near ambient temps even while overclocked. Like you said this definitely not what most people will do when water cooling, but its certainly possible and easy to do for most if they're willing to do so.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Alereon posted:

Even if you buy one of those expensive water cooling kits you're still not going to get performance rivaling air cooling. Silent PC Review just did a review of the Antec Kuhler water coolers,

Well poo poo didn't know the heat pipe HSF's had gotten that good. Last one I got was at least 3 years ago now. Guess is car radiator route or nothing for water cooling now.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I've had those Intel push pin HSF's go right in and then I've had them be a real struggle to get on too, no rhyme or reason why it just happens some times.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Has anyone tried freezing the CPU and then twisting the IHS off? I know that used to work for some chips that heatsinks/spreaders cemented on back in the day.

e: Not much, maybe a degree C or 2 improvement in temp for delidding a soldered IHS. Freezer used to work just fine for me when I did it but dry ice was also an option if you didn't want to wait several hours for the chip/card to get cool enough.
\/\/\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 9, 2013

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
realworldtech is pretty awesome.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
What improvements are the Haswell refresh supposed to bring anyways?

Slightly better clocks + slightly lower power usage would be my WAG. I somehow doubt that Intel will budge much on prices for a refreshed Haswell and I'm not even expecting them to fix the crappy job they're doing with gluing the IHS down.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
No but it jives with rumors that K version Skylake won't be on sale until Q3-4 '15.

Irritating but maybe by then faster DDR4 won't be so $rape$ price wise.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
MediaGX is just branding now. They replaced the original Cyrix design with what amounts to an old K7 Athlon core soon after they acquired it.

When they were 1st released though MediaGX was kinda interesting as being the first chipset integrated IGP + south bridge that had almost OK performance for pretty cheap. You could get a whole system for around $4-500 less than a Intel based system. Too bad the CPU wasn't good even for its time so they had to use a customized version of windows that was optimized for that chip to get good performance.

I don't know if you could even boot a regular version of windows on one.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
That was what I remembered about them.

Apparently its not really correct. There was some bug with installing win98 on them and a default win98 install disc won't work without some shenanigans.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Has to be coded for to work though? Probably won't make a difference for more than a couple years if so.

That is why I was irritated by the TSX/HLE bugs in current CPU's that forced them to disable it. Its takes years for these new CPU features to get widespread support and use and they set things back quite a bit by screwing the pooch there.

If those leaked Skylake benches are correct than LOL still sticking with my 2600K for a while longer I guess.

edit:\/\/\//\/\/ Supposed to be but that ranks right up there with, 'All they need to do is recompile and this new feature should work!!' which almost never seems to happen.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 26, 2015

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Thats understandable but you could just swap to a Z77 chipset mobo and get good USB3 for cheaper and keep your current CPU and RAM. It'd take something like integrated USB3.1 support to make me think of spending the extra cash for the CPU + DDR4.

Might just get a add in card instead really.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Grim Up North posted:

I remember buying such a board a decade ago when making the switch from DDR to DDR2 at the same time when the AGP to PCIe transition was ongoing. I don't think it was especially expensive.
Yea PCChips used to make boards like that they too. Great idea in theory. They even had some that supported slotted and socketed CPU's. Too bad they were all buggy and lovely. The ULi and SiS chipsets certainly didn't help either. I don't think anyone really tries to do stuff like that anymore which I guess is a good thing based on past attempts.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
You'll have plenty of time to save up if that roadmap is correct.

Mid-ish 2017 is nearly 2.5 yr away.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Biostar is supposed to have at least 1.

Its going to be a 'budget' mobo though. I haven't been too impressed with their budget stuff before. Yea it was cheap but the build quality was PCChips-esque and they didn't last long.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Supposedly some stuff can still be processed natively for speed but yea most everything else is 'cracked' into micro-ops over several cycles or more (in some case hundreds or thousands of cycles for 'legacy' instructions that are seldom used) of some sort to run on the 'back end' which actually does all the computational work.

Generally its not seen as a big deal anymore to do this sort of thing. At least for x86. Its the x87 FPU that is supposed to be the real nightmare these days to deal with what with its weird support for stuff like 80 bit double extended precision instructions which no one messes with anymore but still has to be supported.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is there any point in introducing a completely new instruction set, that moves the burden of optimization a little more back to the compiler? Using mode switching antics, this doesn't sound unpossible.
Intel tried that with Itanium. It turns out trying to make the compiler do more of the work for the hardware and programmer doesn't work IRL even though it sounds great on paper.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

BobHoward posted:

This is not really true any more.
If I'm reading this right it sure looks like things haven't changed much fundamentally and the 'front' vs 'back end' metaphor still works pretty well even with a very modern x86 chip that can do uop fusion and has a trace cache. Sometimes you can get a 1:1 uop vs x86 instruction ratio but sometimes you still see multiple uops even with new instructions. Seems to be all over the place really.

Scare quotes were around legacy because yes you're right they're technically not really legacy but some things so rarely used its quibbling at this point.

BobHoward posted:

Thus, cracking is not as much a thing as it used to be.
I think this is more because Intel found away to address that issue. The uop trace cache (aka L0) sure seems to be great from a power perspective yet still gives really good performance. I think Kanter said SB's trace cache had something silly like a 80% hit rate. Dunno what Haswell or IB's was but surely Intel made improvements there since then.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I think if you need the best possible performance per watt they're unbeatable right now. In terms of total single threaded performance it seems they're not so hot and a 3-ishGhz Haswell will beat it by a fair margin there.

Too bad about the price though. Yea its a server board and all but still its a weenie ITX board without lots of DIMM slots or on board hardware RAID controllers, minimal USB ports, and no SAS controller/ports. Hopefully they come down in price quickly.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Twerk from Home posted:

Isn't that price significantly undercutting existing 10GigE pricing? I thought that NICs alone were >$200 still.
It doesn't have 10Gbe ports though, just dual 1Gbe. If it had 10Gbe ports like the one in the Anandtech review then yes it'd be a good deal.

Not all boards will have 10Gbe ports even if its supported by the SoC! Gotta actually click the link guys!

quote:

Intel i350-AM2 dual port GbE LAN

The system Anandtech was reviewing sells for about $1200 which still isn't bad at all considering the specs but is also certainly not really cheap:
http://www.wiredzone.com/supermicro-servers-compact-embedded-processor-sys-5028d-tn4t-10024470

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm really hoping for some nice chipset features on Z170.
It'll be a big upgrade from your current system overall but I dunno if I'd call it nice. Most of the info. has already been leaked and I'm kinda irritated they didn't at least put USB3.1 support into the chipset. More PCIe lanes is probably the biggest difference over the Z97 chipset.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Twerk from Home posted:

but it feels so lame to buy Haswell 2 whole years after its introduction.
They're just not improving things like they used to unfortunately. The expected improvements are going to be very incremental vs a Haswell/Z97 based system and not even all that impressive vs Sandy Bridge/Z77 based system.

You'd think they'd try to do more to differentiate the chipsets at least if they can't or won't improve the CPU much anymore. Pack more features in or support improvements like USB3.1 or something to add some value and give the end user a reason or at least enticement to upgrade.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
If you don't mind BioStar they still sell a Z77 mATX mobo for $80.

As far as I know this is still fairly accurate for Skylake K availability.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 27, 2015

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Yea I don't much like BioStar either but I know lots of people like them and thought maybe you hadn't seen it yet.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I think we're still a couple of years away from 'fat loads' of cheap DDR4 and I dunno how far away from 'fat loads' of cheap and really fast DDR4.

I'm assuming you mean 64GB+ when you say fat loads though so I could be horribly wrong.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Crap like that is why I dislike LGA's to this day. At least if you bent a pin on a P4 or AMD chip you could just use a mechanical pencil with the lead removed to carefully bend it back in place. Worked most every time.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
That was the reason given but AMD has been able to do pretty well with 'regular' sockets for quite a long time now so I'm not sure how necessary it really was to do it.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

PerrineClostermann posted:

Given AMD's current state and performance I'm not sure I'd say they were doing fine with their current sockets.

Gwaihir posted:

AMD chips, known for their excellent low power/low voltage operations :v:
Is bus power usage the main reason for AMD's high CPU power draw, low performance, and heat though? I thought that was more due to their CPU design and the processes they are stuck with. Switching to LGA certainly didn't help the P4 much if at all in terms of power usage, nor did it improve CPU performance, though it was accredited with helping to dissipate heat somewhat better. If you have a paper by all means link it.

GokieKS posted:

I think people are kidding themselves if they think the primary reason was anything but to shift the issue of damaged pin damage to MBs.
I strongly believe this is true but I don't have any real proof and I don't think anyone else does either unfortunately. I know the mobo vendors complained bitterly about it though when LGA775 was first introduced.

edit: OK sorry, hard to tell these days\/\/\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 19, 2015

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

BobHoward posted:

AMD actually switched to LGA for server parts many, many years ago.
Yea but we weren't really talking about server CPU's per se and while it could be due to budget issues there is nothing I know of anyone can point to say definitively one way or another why they're still sticking with pinned sockets even for AM4 much less now. The publicly stated reasons for going LGA on desktop don't really seem to have panned out. Its not like AMD has any issues running OC'd RAM and high clocked buses over a pinned socket vs a LGA and their heat issues are all due to core design/process not the bus voltage. Where are those big gains from going LGA hiding?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

BobHoward posted:

Nobody said the gains were ginormous.
Its not that they aren't ginormous its that they're invisible. Lots of small gains should still add up to a noticeable difference at least, but where is it? Yes I know LGA is technically better than a pinned socket from a electrical stand point, that wasn't in question, but if the gains are so small as to be unnoticeable while costs don't change overall and durability goes down why should that be counted as an advantage?

BobHoward posted:

There's dozens (maybe even hundreds) of minor things like this where, if taken alone, it's not a huge advantage for Intel, but the fact that Intel is able to do them all adds up to a substantial advantage.
Theory crafting possible advantages for LGA and disadvantages for pinned sockets isn't really that interesting since we could go back and forth forever with a "maybe this is a big enough problem/advantage to warrant LGA/pinned sockets". Its not like Intel hasn't done things which haven't panned out before despite the hype so I'm not sure why you want to give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure you remember the nonsense about RDRAM, Netburst, and Itanium.

edit: MEK or Xylene next time, just wear the proper gloves and do it outside or open a window and run a fan cuz' they're nasty\/\/\/\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 30, 2015

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

BobHoward posted:

You say there isn't a noticeable gain. How can you tell?...on what basis do you claim durability has gone down? How do you know costs haven't changed? Why do you think I'm merely theorycrafting? I have worked at a fabless semi company...
Where is the difference in capabilities or performance? FM2+ and LGA1150 both support high clocked dual channel DDR3 RAM, both can allow overclocks of that DDR3 RAM fairly well, both support PCIe 3, and support high clocked + high bandwidth buses. Ultimately those are all the things that actually matter and if the advantages of LGA are too small to make an impact on them then do those advantages really matter?

LGA pins are notoriously delicate and difficult to fix even when its possible to do so, the durability difference is obvious. That costs haven't changed much is an assumption on my part. Usually if Intel has some sort of cost advantage they like to crow about it even if they won't go into specifics. I haven't seen anything like that from them and have certainly not seen anything to suggest packaging prices have changed much with LGA vs PGA.

If you would've had a definitive link you probably would've posted it by now + you were giving possible issues instead of giving concrete examples with the actual existing sockets themselves. Its cool (not being ironic, it really is) you've got experience in the business but does your experience really apply to current AMD vs Intel sockets?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

BobHoward posted:

What I have been trying to tell you all along is that real gains can be invisible if you don't know what you're looking for, or don't have the tools to measure them. You seem totally hung up on the fact that AMD got those features to work; that's not the entire picture.
Yes I got that. What you're not getting/admitting is the following: If any gains are so small that they're invisible without special tools/measuring equipment than they don't matter and at best you're reduced to academic hair splitting about engineering trade offs that are invisible to everyone but the CPU/package designers. That is also why I'm focusing on features, you don't need special tools/equipment to see differences there and any advantages would be obvious and clear cut.

The proof should be in the pudding so to speak and that there isn't any is very telling. I don't know a simpler way of putting things really and we're kind've going around and around on this so if its OK I'll just drop it. :/

BobHoward posted:

The average number of insertion cycles these sockets see is about 1, because enthusiasts are a small fraction of the market.
Its true that virtually no CPU socket gets changed out very often so in theory it shouldn't be an issue at all. In the actual real world I've gotten multiple mobo's new out of the box with bad LGA pins from the manufacturer (ASUS and Gigabyte). 1 I was able to jigger the LGA pins close enough for stuff to work, the other had to be RMA'd. Others have managed to damage their LGA sockets just by butter fingering the CPU in/out of the socket and dropping it on the pins. This problem isn't massive but it isn't uncommon either. I never had any issues like that with PGA CPU's and mobo's and it seems to me fewer people had issues in general too. I've only ever had to use the mech. pencil trick once to fix a bent CPU pin and that was after I was an idiot and butter fingered the CPU so it dropped on a hardwood floor. Worked just fine for years after that.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Twerk from Home posted:

Edit: I just realized I have no idea what DDR4's long term prospects look like. For all I know that DDR4 2800 is the equivalent of DDR3-1333.
IIRC you need something like DDR4 3200 to show decent (ie. 5-10%) improvement over DDR3 1600. The rub here is that while there are DDR4 kits out now that get pretty close to those speeds they're very expensive and have very relaxed timings which kinda ruin the deal because latency goes through the roof. That and a lot of things that most desktop users run just aren't effected much by RAM bandwidth anyways. I wouldn't be in any rush to upgrade to DDR4 unless you needed huge amounts of RAM no matter the cost.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Lowen SoDium posted:

DDR3 at 1660 with CAS 9 comes to 5.42 ns

DDR4 at 3000 with CAS 15 comes to 5 ns

Not a big difference.
I think you're trying to dumb it down a little too much into 1 number and there is a lot more going on there. There are plenty of benches showing the latency trade offs to get the higher clocked DDR4 resulting in either slight (.5-1%) losses or no gains at all in actual real world performance. The exception to that will be for workloads that are actually bandwidth limited, then yes DDR4 shines, but there aren't very many of those for most desktop users.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Potato Salad posted:

Remind me why we stopped soldering the heatspreader on? I have to think a dab of metallic solder would beat paste hands down, conductivity be damned.
Intel said it was a cost issue, as others have noted already. I don't think anyone outside of Intel actually knows how much it costs to do it though.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Lowen SoDium posted:

My point was that the latency difference between DDR3 and 4 can low enough to not even matter, as long as you are buy fast enough memory. If the latency is more or less the same, your performance should be better because of the increased bandwidth (when bandwidth matters).
I think your reasoning is spot on but its not panning out in the real world performance metrics. At least not yet. That will change eventually of course, DDR4 has more headroom than DDR3, so its guaranteed to give some nice performance gains in the long run. Its just hasn't been out long enough yet. Took a while after launch for DDR3 1600, 1866, and 2133 to pop up too at decent timings.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
The other cool thing about USB3.2 is its supposed to support higher voltages for faster charges and powering larger devices. Theoretically up to 100w. I don't know if we'll ever see that since it has to run at 20v to do that but 12v (a handy voltage that is already out put by the PSU so no conversion necessary) capable USB3.2 ports should be common place over the next few years.

Running a monitor off a single universal cable/port for the power, screen, and sound would be nice.

e: \/\/\/\/\/\/ Yea ports that could do something like that have existed before, I didn't say it was a first to do that, but they were usually proprietary, expensive, or both and so never really took off. USB3.2 should be everywhere eventually so its a lot more interesting and practical way to do that.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

HalloKitty posted:

So when you re-fit it, it can feel like you're up against the normal resistance, but instead, you snap one half of the plastic around the pin.
Yup. If you snap or bend 1 of the plastic fingers the stock Intel HSF can be a real bitch to mount. They're somewhat delicate and bend easy when you're wiggling the HSF around to try and get the pegs into the holes. The side to side motion you use to "find" the holes with the pegs, which is what most do since space is cramped and lighting is poor inside most cases, is what usually makes them bend or snap.

Yeah the old Socket A/370 style mounts were difficult to use but more modern Socket 939 and AM3 clips aren't bad at all and aren't easily damaged. The lever versions in particular are some of the easiest around to use.