Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

rhag posted:

I am not particularly fond with IB and Haswell trying to push so many things onto the chip. While it does help reduce power consumption, this is not my main concern with a PC, since I mainly use desktop(s) computers. I rarely touch a laptop, and when i do, the power of the device is irrelevant for the task. I prefer to have a CPU that is focused on doing whatever is doing as fast as possible, leaving other things (such as graphics) to the dedicated boards/devices.

Have you ever considered it's possibly faster to incorporate those things on one chip and your concerns are really outmoded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Agreed posted:

That's incredible!

Government work is just not good enough for government work these days.

Good enough for government work used to be a compliment, until the standard political refrain became to call everything the government does incompetent.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Did they see £79 and just assume that's the same as $79?

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Why do I read comments?

quote:

3. Once a system architecture is completely fault-tolerant there is NO LIMIT to system size, so you can step-and-repeat many large processors on a wafer and reasonably expect them ALL to work - regardless of the thousands of bad transistors sprinkled throughout them. Hence, by simply connecting the adjacent pads of adjacent processors on a wafer, you can cheaply manufacture entire modern supercomputers-on-wafers - for a few thousand dollars each.

Hmmm sounds pretty easy

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Double Punctuation posted:

Read: People with physical access to your laptop can do whatever they want with it. :nallears:

This is why I leave my laptop unlocked with my financial information on screen whenever I leave it on the table at a coffee shop. Someone could get physical access so why bother locking it down?

The problem, from my perspective, is that this opens up a lot more surreptitious physical attacks, where now you can get JTAG access from momentary physical access without disturbing the look of the device, which was not possible before.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Yeah? Those are bad too? Thanks fishmech.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

"Boy howdy, you think that's bad? But other things are bad too so we might as well do nothing."

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Not actually a problem:

fishmech posted:

That is, attacks that let you extract a bunch of information from the running system and allow for the possibility of injecting some manner of malicious executable code.

How many Skylake laptops have PCMCIA? How many have USB?

edit: To be clear since the point tends to fly over your head, if this wasn't possible with USB, this attack vector likely would not exist for many new laptops. That previous standards were also bad isn't exactly a defense.

Nor would it be inconceivable for manufacturers to take a bit more care with the design to make such functionality available, but not turned on by default. Will this affect a huge number of people? Probably not, but there's really no excuse for continuing to make the same bad decisions.

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 14, 2017

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

fishmech posted:

But again, it isn't actually a problem. With a regular rear end USB port on any laptop, you can already build a malicious USB device that can inject malware and even read out significant sections of memory. That is a fundamental flaw in how USB devices work, since it "trusts" that devices are what they say they are and won't try to be malicious.

There is nothing "bad decision" about having this functionality.

You're just going to have to put on your big boy pants and accept that physical access has always meant there's nothing you can really do about security anymore. The only way to prevent this would be to make it nearly impossible to have external devices to use with your computer.

I disagree that direct JTAG access is no more concerning of an attack vector than "normal" USB, mediated by the OS which at least in theory can mitigate attack from said devices. I'm sure there's bad poo poo there too but again, the policy shouldn't be to grow the attack surface.

Please continue to be unnecessarily hostile though, it really adds to the conversation.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Cool, I went to microcenter the other day and they said they'd have coffee lake available today. So, I came back today and nope. I kind of figured but it's very annoying. The salesman also seemed to say you need ddr4-2600 for coffee lake, which seems like bullshit?

My problem is that I have a whole bundle of brand new PC parts sitting on my floor except for the mobo and processor, and I'm contemplating giving in and getting a 7700K. The extra cores would actually be somewhat meaningful for me but if it's going to be months until we can reliably get coffee lake...

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Cygni posted:

The CPUs cant be sold until tomorrow.

Thursday? And honestly I don't think Microcenter has a reputation for following that.

Thanks for all of your answers on the memory by the way.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Cool, Newegg put my 8600K order on hold for address verification, but didn't feel any need to actually inform me of that fact. What a joke. I assume I won't get my processor now.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Call them and get it resolved. Your CC probably declined it.

It was successfully charged, both per NewEgg and my credit card, a day before I even checked...

It's all good now, but I am very much not impressed with their communication.

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 6, 2017

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I just got my 8600K this morning. Now I'm only waiting for nicer RAM, as I accidentally got 2133 MHz stuff at first.

What's the difference between the 8700K and the 8700NK that people keep mentioning? Google gives me nothing if I search for 8700NK.

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 10, 2017

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Just finished putting together my 8600K build, and it feels good man.

However, wtf, even mid-range boards now have gaudy color shifting LEDs over everything, and they're on even when the board is off? I thought it was ridiculous before.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I got an Asus prime z370-A and it's been drama free :shrug:

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

bobfather posted:

poo poo. My number won't come up until page 8086.

Some of us are waiting for 68,000

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

My 8600k is great and I'm glad I bought it instead of waiting for an 8700k

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Cool, Valve not providing refunds because a game is too lovely to even exit gracefully is just totally okay guys, there's nothing they can do!!!

VVV ah that's better then

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 25, 2017

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

If this exploit allows one VM to inspect another VM (or kernel memory for that matter?), I'm not sure why separate processes would provide any protection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Like is GPU mining actually profitable now?