Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
After sitting on an i7-3770k for the past 6 years I finally decided to get the 9900k because I can definitely feel the CPU chugging along even though I have a 1080 Ti. Until I read the reviews this morning, that is. Guess I'm going with the 9700k instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
So do all of these security vulnerabilities actually present concerns or are they just something consultants do to drum up press for their businesses while the attacks themselves are impossible to carry out outside an artificial environment? Getting people scared and sacrificing 50% performance for an attack only infosec people can do in person with a known system seems like a poor tradeoff.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

dont be mean to me posted:

I think the point is that if Intel shows wanton disregard for the security of their platforms for their major clients, imagine how little of a crap they give about your security.

This article says that it's something that affects all Core processors starting from the first generation. If it took them this long to figure this attack out, then what are the odds that anyone's actually able to use it in the real world?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
are any of these security vulnerabilities actually possible and a threat to consumers in the real world or is this just infosec people trying to get their name out

I get that the NSA might be able to use this against a target they have physical access to, but if you need multi-million dollars, months of setup time, and skilled penetration experts to pull an attack off, then the extra security frankly isn't worth the 30% performance hit. No one at their home buying things on Amazon is going to get their data stolen by these attacks.

Shipon fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 17, 2019

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

DrDork posted:

If you don't want the performance hit from the soft mitigation, you don't patch. That's it. You're now open to future exploits, but hey, that's your choice. They're not going to split patch lanes into "with vs without" mitigation--they'll all be with mitigation going forward.

HT, likewise, is something that'll be left up to the users: enable or disable at your option. Intel has said that they don't feel it's necessary to entirely disable HT, but others of course are disagreeing with that. It may be that we see more Google-like disabled-by-default setups for servers and other security conscious systems, though.

Kind of hard not to patch when software and hardware vendors cram patches down your throat by mandatory device updates.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

DrDork posted:

Source quality >50GB BluRay rips? Yeah, you're weird. If you want to encode them yourself, Handbrake et al have a bunch of single-click profiles that are good enough these days that it's real hard to tell the difference between it and source. And if you don't want to encode them yourself, you can take the tactic that many of my friends have: buy the disk to "support the creators" or whatever, then torrent the actual video file for NAS use.

I tried doing this, buying an actual bluray and watching it, and the quality on the PS4 was dogshit compared to a torrent copy.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Does this mean software devs are actually going to have to put work in now?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
cool chip, shame it's being used to gently caress the poor

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

Eventually for sure although there is/was still a lot of P0 in channel.

Kinda funny that after all the hullabaloo about how awful the performance impact from Spectre/Meltdown is, nobody apparently cares about the stepping that doesn't require you to take the performance hit? This thing is literally context-switching faster than a 3900X now.

And sure, on the whole it doesn't really make a ton of difference for the applications these processors are sold for. It never did.

Like I said, it was drummed up scaremongering from an infosec consultancy industry that tries to boost its public profile. Anyone who needed to mitigate these problems had ways to get around it and the performance penalty was absolutely not worth it for everyone who wasn't in that segment.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Or you can just disable javascript and make browsing the internet infinitely quicker and easier

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
don't those hyperthreading attacks require a lot of involved effort to exploit? why is it worth destroying performance on cheap laptops to protect against an attack that no one outside of a server farm is going to see

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

pixaal posted:

Did Intel put in a bunch of backdoors that are now being found out, or did they really botch HT that bad?

no it's just academics pushing deeper and deeper at it to advance their own careers

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

CFox posted:

ARM is a better instruction set if only because it’s not locked behind 2 drat companies. Intel and AMD can always pivot to making ARM chips, you can’t say the same for making x86.

isn't it locked to one company now, nvidia?

also gently caress ARM i ain't installing wack rear end emulators to run old games

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
If only AMD would get rid of its PGA packaging and move to LGA like they should, lol at the idea of ripping the CPU out of the socket with your heatsink.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Gwaihir posted:

this is like, actually impossible to do if one uses the most bare thought or care though, who on earth avoids a platform on the basis of "I'm an idiot and will simply yank on a thing instead of twisting it first"

twisting a heatsink off sounds like a good way to accidentally scratch a trace on the board

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

:lmao: At least now I won’t be tempted to upgrade for no reason.

Flight Sim's CPU bound-ness was tempting me with an upgrade from my 9700k but this showing is miserable (and the 5900x so hard to find) I'll probably just wait for the first DDR5 parts

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

I recently changed my cooler from the stock Intel fan to a DeepCool Gammaxx 400 Pro, and while I'm still utterly terrified of breaking a pin in the socket (which to be fair didn't really come into play here since I never removed the CPU from the socket), it was also a relief that the CPU retention bracket meant that I didn't have to worry about the CPU getting torn off the socket because of being glued to the cooler like with AMD.

If the rumors are true, the next AMD socket is going to also be LGA anyway, so might as well pick up some experience.

not gonna lie ryzen being PGA is partially why I haven't made the switch yet, do not wanna deal with that possibility

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

oof, but here goes, it took me a couple tries to get just how gently the chip needs to be dropped into the socket bed (just touching slowly). I've never messed up a motherboard beyond functionality - but I have damaged at least 1 pin visually on let's say 10% of my uninstall cycles as an amateur.

I'm very ginger especially on consumer lga installations - I think the HEDT sockets (2011) were easier.

The electrical (signaling/power) benefits of a consumer LGA socket are undeniable, and I don't think you'd get that on a PGA socket with the necessary density. It's the tradeoff of having pcie4 and ddr5 and poo poo. AMD has to spec AM5 for the next 5 years.

motherboards tend to be cheaper than CPUs (unless you go ham with one of those super expensive ones i guess) so if i had to break one or the other i'd rather break the motherboard

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
love the implication that the board is for bitcoin mining by GPU which hasn't been a thing for like 4 years at this point

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
its quite possible they saw how much of a power hog avx-512 was in rocket lake and decided not to repeat that mistake with the next gen

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
what's the a supposed to stand for? angstroms?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
i get why they don't do it but if they just labelled by transistor density it would make so much more sense

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

wargames posted:

ATX12vo wouldn't be a bad thing to go to it would help idle power consumption a bunch

does it really? saving 10% power at idle doesn't seem worth having to move all the power conversion to the motherboard

I just don't want to have to dump the 850W seasonic PSU i bought a few years ago that's got a solid 10 year warranty because of some negligible savings in idle usage

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

wargames posted:

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/atx12vo-power-supply-standard-gets-testedshows-really-good-idle-power-consumption,2.html

This its better then 10% because the idle here is 7 watts vs like 15-25w with the old system?
It doesn't seem worth creating a ton of e-waste and making motherboards even more prone to failures just to save 8-18 W. There are so, so many other more massive wastes of electricity that they could go after.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

BurritoJustice posted:

There's a reason only the absolute best, overspecced, titanium PSUs have 10-12yr warranties. That's way too long to use a PSU and there is a non-zero chance that it fails and takes out other components.

What model is it and what's the load you've had it under?
i would hope that a component would be usable for its warranty period. if that's a 10 year period then why shouldn't you be able to use it for that length? if it's a cheaper one with a 3 year warranty yeah you're probably a fool to hang onto it longer

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
to be fair someone stuck at home on their gaming computer pulling down ~800 W from the wall is still using about as much electricity as it takes a tesla to drive a little over 3 miles so if someone's hobby or entertainment has them driving more than 10 miles or so per outing, tsk tsk

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Hope those prices are a joke because lmao

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Guess I'll finally be going custom loop this time around then!

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

VorpalFish posted:

Wait forget everything I've been saying about tdp - I completely missed this:
https://www.tomshardware.com/features/intel-shares-alder-lake-pricing-specs-and-gaming-performance/3

Apparently Intel's official guideline for PL2 duration on k chips is now infinite - the 12900k is officially a 241w cpu if you cool it enough. I didn't believe it but they actually did it.

Hahaha that's some loving poo poo.
Perfect to go along with my 3090 for the winter, saves me from having to hook the space heater up!

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Lmfao, a drat shame no motherboards have shipped yet so no one can actually break the embargo on their own

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
That blender power consumption and temp, god drat

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Requiring Windows 11 for full performance seems problematic - I'd rather not move to that garbage new UI unless there's a way to undo all the crap microsoft decided to think was somehow an improvement.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's not just syscalls and interrupts, it's also a shitload of context switches which also take up CPUtime, along with whatever amount of CPUtime is spent by the scheduler itself.

If I wasn't such a giant nerd that I've bought a low-production run hyper-programmable (as in every single key has four layers, each can have up to 64 keystrokes with 15ms, 0.1s, and 0.5s intervals between presses) 60%-sized mechanical keyboard with cherry mx-clear switches and blank PBT keycaps with a steel base, I'd have thrown out any keyboard that had software as bad as iCue, just from what I've heard ITT.

Isn't all of it webshit, by definition, because it's chromium/electron?
A bit of a tangent but it's a bit unfortunate that there's all these nice looking keyboards that mostly lack function keys and/or a numpad. I do way too much Excel to give up the numpad!

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's my understanding that Arizona is rather seismologically stable, and consequently already has a bunch of existing IT corps and data centers operating in the state, as points in the Pro column, even if being in the middle of the drat desert might otherwise make it sound like a really bad idea
also helps that all the tool manufacturers have people there to fix tooling issues and there's a bunch of people nearby already trained to be techs

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Making the jump to the 12900k and going with DDR4. Unfortunately my current 9700k build has some garbage 3000CL15 RAM i bought back in 2018 when the memory market was pretty hosed pricewise, so I had to buy a new kit anyway. People are saying that the MSI boards are pretty solid for DDR4 so I'm going with the Pro Z690-A, also helps that it's quite affordable.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Skyarb posted:

So maybe I missed the obvious answer but it seems like a lot of the fervor for the new intel cpi's died down. I really want to replace my 8700k with a top of the line CPU because I am cpu bound in a handful of games at the moment, are any of the new intel cpus worth looking at?

Gaming performance is really good with the caveat that some older games might not play well with the E cores in play and you'll need to move to Win 11 for full advantage of the core scheduler. I just went from a 9700k to a 12900k myself because of Flight Sim and a few other things.

Stick with DDR4 though, DDR5 is somehow even harder to find than graphics cards at the moment and the modules that are out aren't very good.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Oh yeah check your LGA1700 kits from the cooler companies because Arctic sent me one that's got the wrong lengths so I have pretty poor contact (immediately thermal throttle on Cinebench and sit around 50-60 at 60-80 W cpu power with a liquid freezer 2 360 AIO

Yeah the 12900k is a toaster but it shouldn't be immediately pegging 100 C at full load with that big a cooler, maybe upper 80s lower 90s sure

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
undervolting basically is overclocking in disguise anyway, it's just a bit more involved so it should if anything be a more interesting exercise

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

BurritoJustice posted:

Yes, you can disable E-cores. Right now this also allows you to enable AVX-512, but there are rumours Intel is going to kill that in the next IME update. If you have E-cores disabled you can also spin the ring up to (at least) 4.7GHz, some boards do this by default but not all.

The Intel Labs Twitter showed a hwinfo64 shot of the 12900KS and it had 4.7GHz ring with the E-corres running, which is exciting. Right now E-cores active will cut the ring down to 3.6-4.0, which hurts memory and gaming performance. Also in the screenshot was 5.5 for 1/2 core, 5.2 all core and 4.0 ecore. Crazy chip, might even be a new stepping.

I just read that Sapphire Rapids is renabling a form of TSX, can any of the lower level CPU guys in here explain how they've fixed it's Swiss cheese security?

Was that the 12900k? Looking at the tweet

https://twitter.com/IntelTech/status/1478079758898446337

Could also be them showing off 13th gen as well. Seems kind of crazy that they'd jump to 5.2 all-core with a KS version given the default is 4.9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Begall posted:

I don't have the article to hand, but someone did a lot of testing with various power limits on a 12900K, and if I remember correctly you basically got 98% of the gaming performance at 125W as you did at 250W.
I haven't seen power usage on the 12900k go above 140-150W even in Flight Sim so that explains the lack of difference for the most part

EDIT: Huh, guess it was the 12900KS, 5.5 single 5.2 all-core. seems like quite a leap for the K to KS to go up 300 MHz in the all-core boost