Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Interesting to see the board partners so unprepared for X299. BIOS seem to be all messed up in both reviews. Seems to be a repeat of the Ryzen launch at the moment.

Both reviews were pretty clear to point out they didnt source their parts through Intel, so I wonder if the other reviews are still under NDA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Don Lapre posted:

They got their chips from other sources. They are not under NDA and the launch isn't till the end of the month.

There were rumors that the review NDA would lift last Monday (which didnt happen) and then again today, but that doesn't seem to be the case either, was my point.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

3peat posted:

lmfao what a joke

anyways, intel's $1000 ten core cpu at 4.6ghz is 40% faster in cinebench than a $300 eight core amd at 4ghz; if the 16 core threadripper is really gonna cost $700-800, then you must be an idiot to buy this poo poo

The rumored $850 threadripper is the entry level version of the 16c with limited clocks. Pretty likely that if the top end threadripper (god what an awful name) is truly competitive, AMD will price it as such. But it won't hit shelves until mid August in the first place.

And of course there is the whole single thread performance thing.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Really looks like Intel should have bumped this launch back, this is a pretty bad debacle. Was looking at preordering somethin but heellllll no to that until they get the BIOS issues fixed. The 7740X getting outperformed fairly significantly by the 7700K is a pretty clear sign that there is a lot of work to be done.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Xae posted:

So now that both sides have shown their hand my take away is that my i7-4770 is going to be in use for another year.

Ryzen doesn't give enough of a boost to single threaded performance to make a difference and Intel just stuck a fork in an electrical socket. Or am I way off base here?

Yeah that pretty much sums it up. If you want to play bideo games (especially if you want to play at 1440p or 4k), best bet is to put all the money into a better GPU.

My guess is that will probably stay the story for multiple years, too. The latest leaks are that 10nm CPUs wont come from intel in the desktop space until 2019 at the earliest. Considering the 10nm process completely failed for intel and they are already building out their 7nm process instead, its probably going to be a rough few years for them ahead.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, I wouldn't bet the farm on Zen+/Zen2. AMD doesn't have the money to redraw the core massively each year, which means we're really betting on Glofo's in house "7nm" DUV process. Considering Glofo had to license Samsung's 14nm process cause their last few were so uncompetitive, I'm a bit hesitant to get hyped for their 7nm. The DUV process is a betweener design too, supposed to get replaced by a EUV process like a year after it launches.

Thats if, you know, EUV actually ends up working.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

movax posted:

Still on my 2600K with a GTX 1080 -- I guess I'll just keep hanging out under a rock for awhile. I'm occasionally tempted by a motherboard upgrade, but :effort:

If you play games in 1080p, that setup will keep you going at max settings 60fps for years to come probably. You're only gonna be hurting if you decide you need a 4k monitor at some point.

2600k is an all timer man, right up there with the Celery 300a.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

What the gently caress? And here I was pencilling in an upgrade in a year or so on the assumption Intel's 10nm stuff would be out by then. If they can't make 10nm work, how do they expect to manage 7nm? Finally moving to EUV?

Intel's next desktop chips are Coffee Lake, which is essentially Skylake Part 3 and still on the 14nm node. The 10nm part, Cannonlake, is only on the leaked roadmaps in the lower power/mobile arena. There are lots of rumors going around about when 10nm will come out for desktop, but there is a good deal of evidence that its far, far away. Coffee Lake has been rumored in August, but was initially scheduled for Jan/Feb of 2018. Other rumors have them looking to 'extend' Coffee Lake so yeah... I'm thinking 2019 for any 10nm desktop.

All the stuff with Plant 42 (Intel built a huge factory in the desert for 14nm+10nm, and then instead decided to let it sit empty for years before recently deciding to spend $11b to get it going for 7nm), killing tick tock, plus them getting stuck on 14nm for years leads me to believe that 10nm was a pretty big failure. I wonder if it will end up being a low yield boutique process basically just for high value stuff (Apple) like TSMC's "7nm".

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

They have EUV more or less working, and production equipment is being produced for it, it just took 10 years longer than anyone thought it would because lol ionizing radiation as a lithography process. They'll use it on the very few critical layers that would best benefit from it, and use DUV for the rest, based on what I've read.

Yeah, it looks pretty certain to show up pretty soon here finally, which is good because everyone seems to think 7nm is basically dead without it. Although I laughed when I saw that a big chunk of the company making the EUV equipment, ASML, is owned by... intel.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 20, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

First Coffelake engineering samples are starting to show up, 6c/12t @ 3.5ghz base on the Sandra database. Looks like they might actually launch in August as rumored. Cores are pretty much the same as Kaby, so I doubt the 4 core version will offer much new. Also, cause lol intel, new socket (1151 v2)

http://wccftech.com/intels-coffee-l...-4-2-ghz-turbo/

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i love that they will be selling 4 core Kaby Lake-S on the 1151 platform, 6 core Coffee Lake-S on the 1151 v2 platform, and 4 core Kaby Lake-X on the 2066 platform simultaneously, all as gaming focused platforms/cpus

the metric gently caress, intel

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Paul MaudDib posted:

I really think DX11 is going to be around for a while anyway, especially for PC titles.

I hope youre right, i despise win10. On the steam stats, Win10 finally crested the 50% mark, something win8 never managed, and I worry that it will be a tipping point.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

fishmech posted:

Unsurprisingly, nobody wants to stick with dead operating systems that don't even run without hacking on modern CPUs.

hell yeah i got a fishmech response.

btw running a skylake+z170 board with Win7 as we speak with no hacking It Just Worked

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

apologize for bringing up winders chat

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ElehemEare posted:

All I care about is maximizing vidja while minimizing power consumption, do I just buy an i5-7500 and call it a day? My i5-750 hurfs durf on Dark Souls III so I guess it's time.

Yup. The difference between the 7700k and 7500 in gaming is really minuscule, and it uses a good deal more power while being a good deal more expensive. The extra 4 threads on the 7700k help spergy encoding benchmarks and the like, but if you are just gamin' and surfin', the 7500 is probably the current sweetspot. Especially if you are doing the cool/quiet/small gaming thing, which im all about.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Some more Coffee Lake geekbench scores leaked by MSI, with an underclocked 3.2ghz example being essentially identical to a Ryzen 5 1600X. Earlier leaks were of a 3.5ghz base 4.2ghz boost example that may be a higher SKU or actual launch speeds.

If you can stomach wccftech: http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-6-core-i7-cpu-performance-benchmark-leak/

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

So 2 new performance chipsets that don't offer anything new, and both of them are dead when Cannonlake comes out? Oh intel.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CitizenKain posted:

2500K still going strong. Used to upgrade every 3 years or so, but now, eh.

Actually just want to upgrade at this point to get M2 slots.

If you wanna use an NVMe/PCIe M2 (and you should!), there are dirt cheap adapters.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124167

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It just isn't as good as booting from them, and PCIe 2.0 speeds limit them to under 1000MB/sec.

Thats true, I didn't think of the boot issues. You could probably get it to work but I imagine it would be a hassle.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Most of the "heatsinks" on VRMs are just held down with pushpins. No TIMs, nothin. Some of em don't even really touch anything to cool, which is always funny. Really just for looks to sell to ultra nerds.

Sounds like that stuff aint gonna work with a CPU that can draw 300 fuckin watts. What a mess intel put themselves in, just to try to out-due a niche CPU that not many people were ever gonna buy in the first place.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Combat Pretzel posted:

So the i7 HEDTs are poo poo in general is the take away?

They don't overclock great, they are power hungry, expensive, and the platform was rushed and is still getting daily BIOS updates for some boards. But its a big core skylake, so if you are doing true content creation stuff or industrial activities and have $5k for a system, but not $20k for a 4 socket Xeon server workstation, its the best performance you can buy.

AMD's answer is coming soon, and may be pretty competitive (but will likely also be hella power hungry and pretty expensive)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

eames posted:

Actually that's i9s. i7s have fewer PCIe lanes, gimped AVX implementation and as it turns out they're 7900X binning rejects not only in terms of working cores but also in terms of voltage/heat output/efficiency.

That explains why the heat output from 6 to 8 to 10 is so similar and doesn't scale anywhere near as linearly as one would expect.

I was just referring to them all cause they are the same chips :shrug: I honestly think the AVX and PCIe things are less of a deal to the actual customers. I dunno tho, i'm def not a target customer. My logic for that is that the 7800/7820 is fine for single graphics card and 10Gb NIC. And if you need to get a 4x titan/quadro kind of render box, the CPU is such a minor part of your costs that you would be getting a 7900x (or multisocket) anyway.

e: (Im talkin about the LCC skylake-x's btw, not the HCC ones)

Cygni fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 2, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IIRC the x99 platform was kind of a mess early on too, wasnt it? I would probably hold off on getting anything for few months honestly.

It looks like Intel has another launch coming afterall, too. This apparently was from a Intel presentation to asian resellers on May 23rd:

The rumor is that the August launch will be 3 SKUs and 1 chipset (Z370). Chips are rumored to be a 6C/12T and 6C/6T at 95W, and a 4C/4T 65W i3, all unlocked.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Skylake-SP/Cascade Lake (Xeon Platinum/Gold/Silver/Bronze) is formally gonna launch tomorrow, with XCC up to 28 cores and 8 sockets on Intel's new mesh interconnect. Videocardz posted the slides before the NDA:

https://videocardz.com/70874/intels-epyc-response-xeon-scalable-processor-skylake-sp

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Well, put two pots of coffee on. AnandTech just posted a 23 page deep dive on the new Xeons vs Epyc. Thankfully, the pages are pretty short by AT standards.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11544/intel-skylake-ep-vs-amd-epyc-7000-cpu-battle-of-the-decade

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

there are intel fanboys?

that's like an at&t fanboy

a walmart fanboy

i dont get it

You should look at the sports world.

Also anyone who is a "fan" of a computer chip company is a loving moron.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

if IPC really is stuck, id be pretty happy with more power/thermal improvements. im one of those weirdos who gets upset about noise a lot. its pretty cool that you can get high end gaming performance and 8 threads in 65w today.

i remember opening the box to my first pentium (a 100 i think?) and scoffing because it needed a FAN. what an unoptimized CAVEMAN product!!!!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I dont think T is a specific variant in Intel's lineup, it's just a subset of S series chips binned down. As far as we know, Coffee Lake will serve as a "stop gap" for everything that had Cannon Lake delayed. So that will be all of the S (desktop) and H (performance laptop) series. U and Y (thin/light and tablet) will go straight to Cannon Lake "as planned", although still with 1 extra refresh in there than Intel anticipated, late this year or early next year.

The lower TDP Coffee Lake stuff isn't going to show up until Feb '18, though. Only the high performance stuff is launching in August of this year.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

eames posted:

I didn't believe the 100/200 series rumor when I first read it but yeah, it'd make sense to try and keep potential upgraders on the Intel platform rather than making them switch to Ryzen/AM4 because they'd need a new 1151v3 board anyway.

OTOH the number of people buying CPUs and Motherboards is probably tiny compared to OEM sales so this is more about mindshare than anything else.

I wonder if its gonna be something like quad core Coffee Lake works on Z170+, but you will need Z370 for the six core models. Would make sense from a routing perspective.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

What additional routing would the 6 core need?

It's the same 14nm+ process as Kaby, so I imagine power delivery will be different for a bigger, 6 core design and associated caches than the previous 4 core ones. Maybe they designed the socket with that extra power in mind from the start, but it sorta seems unlikely given that 1155 was already on the way when they realized 10nm was a disaster and they needed 2 generations of filler before Cannon Lake would be ready.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

A handful use lots of threads (GTA/Civ), the rest use like two most of the time.

I don't think there's gonna be a sudden explosion in CPU parallelism. People predicted that 8 years ago (hence Bulldozer), and it never happened.

But if intel slots the new 6's in where the Kaby 4's are pricewise, I would probably spring for the 6+HT cuz why not. Worth the extra $100 to add some extra future proofing.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Twerk from Home posted:

Are they wrong? If you're building a budget gaming PC at this instant, and going down to a 2C/4T CPU gets you to a GTX 1060 and a decent SSD that's entirely worth it, especially given how much Intel charges for a basic quad core.

"Power users" always forget that regular humans exist, who dont want to spend a lot of money on the thing they use to read twitter, do their taxes, and occasionally play overwatch on at 1080p.

Heres a 3.9Ghz 2C/2T i3 vs a 3.9Ghz (all core turbo) 4C/4T i5:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1889?vs=1865

Sure its faster in most games, but the i3 is nearly exactly half the price. And when paired with a mid tier GPU like a 1060, or lower like a 1050 Ti, you're GPU limited in nearly every game anyway...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

More Coffee Lake leaks, launching August 22-26: http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-core-i7-8700k-6-core-cpu-specifications-details-leak/

3.7 base, 4.3 single core, 4.0 all core turbo on the 8700k. Doesn't mention a new revision of 1151, either. That locked 65w model looks pretty tasty too, although I cant tell if hit has HT.

7700k for comparison is 4.2 base, 4.5 single core, 4.4 all core, so you give a couple hundred mhz back but gain 4 threads.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

TorakFade posted:

I imagine the 7700k will stay in the lineup

7700k is being replaced with Coffee Lake at the same time the 6 cores launch, though the rumor is 4C/8T unlocked will now be an i5 (assumedly 4/4 is now an i3)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

evilweasel posted:

I think my old ivy bridge desktop processor is starting to burn out, it's now very occasionally bluescreening/restarting randomly, and recently it refused to start unless I killed the overclocking

if that didn't happen i'm not sure i'd ever replace it
I would also check the PSU if you got a spare around. Weird power related crashes are due to dying PSUs a lot of the time.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Big AT review of the i7 7740X and i5 7640X

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11549/the-intel-kaby-lake-x-i7-7740x-and-i5-7640x-review-the-new-single-thread-champion-oc-to-5ghz

Short version: The fastest single threaded CPU, so games/productivity stuff is good. But you pay a $100+ premium (with the mobo) over the 7700k that has 95% of the performance. And the i5 7640X makes zero sense.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rest of the Skylake-X specs are out:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Some more details and names. 6 cores coming to i5:

Weird that the 8700 is nearly identical in clocks to the 8700k, but only a 65w TDP.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The rumors are that Z370 is just a rebadged Z270, and Z390 isnt launching yet.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

idk an 18 core cpu with a 4ghz+ turbo is pretty drat impressive. the 18 and 20 core Xeon's with the same silicon all cap out at 3.7 turbos and cost a whole lot more. and Epyc caps out at 3.2 turbo, with lower IPC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

wargames posted:

That is epyc, threadripper base clock is 3.4 with a boost to 3.9? So you aren't really comparing the differant chips correctly. Because you can go up to 32 cores on a single socket epyc but only 16 with threadripper.

I compared to Epyc because TR doesn't go to 18/20 cores (and we are pretty sure the 20 core model is coming eventually). Although it's gonna be fun to see the meh launch X299 boards try to deliver 18/20 cores worth of power at those frequencies.

Though none of us are buying these dumb things anyway.