Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Eh. I'm more interested in, how long is going to take until we can play all our games @1080p without any hiccups? Yea, most of the time it runs well, but there's still that occasional stutter - which I think is really unacceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Alereon posted:

Probably early January, during the Consumer Electronics Show (Jan 7-11). Officially Intel is just saying "Q1" right now, though they've released forecasts expecting that Sandy Bridge will make up 20% of desktop CPU shipments in Q1, which indicates an early and heavy launch. Board manufacturers are demoing complete product lines of LGA-1155 boards now, so it can't be that far off.

What the hell is the other 80? C2Ds?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Alereon posted:

Ivy Bridge has been delayed for another quarter, until Q2 2012.

Wow, that is incredibly annoying. I'd love a new laptop (R61i Currently) but the HD 3000 just doesn't cut it for me. If I buy a $1k laptop, the best I can get out of Starcraft II is only low details, the hell?

The gaming laptops aren't that bad, Sager comes close but I'd rather just have a Thinkpad.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Hmm, on the subject of hardware none of the OEMs are down with the ultrabook platform.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

God, that looks really cool. Laptops are finally catching up, I'd suspect that DOTA 2 and possibly even Crysis 2 are playable.

Will Thunderbolt be standard once Ivy Bridge hits?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Alereon posted:

I think the situation is similar to that of AMD with their fusion netbooks, OEMs don't want to sell them at a competitive price because they're still able to move product and make more profits with a higher price. While Ultrabooks would take over the market at $1000, they'll still sell at >$1000, just like how Brazos netbooks would obsolete Atom netbooks at $300, but people will pay $400-450 for the superior performance.

Still, it's so annoying. The Macbook Air form-factor is so obscenely awesome and literally every competitor just isn't the same. Lower screen resolution, huge bezel, thicker, glossy cheap plastic, etc

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

God. Haswell looks so much more awesome, good loving god. 10-20w mainstream CPU and it's faster than current gen and even cheaper :aaa:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

KillHour posted:

It's not the 55 billion that's impressive (Wal Mart had a revenue of over 400 billion last year; The company I work for did almost 30, and I'd be surprised if you ever heard of them), it's the 11 million increase that blows my mind.

There are hundreds of companies that are replacing their server infrastructure with new processors, cloud computing and there are still plenty of companies getting rid of P4s and replacing those units.

You've also got older C2Ds, which are pretty fast but are showing their age.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

People say their C2Ds are still more than enough for them but I would kill for an upgrade of my Cantiga laptop at work

Anything remotely graphical and mine just chokes plus even with a Thinkpad the keyboard is so worn after 3-4 years?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I put an SSD in my C2D and I'd almost rather use it over my desktop.

Unfortunately, the cost of SSDs is obscenely high and I don't see them being introduced into the corporate world anytime soon.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

movax posted:

The hardware has been around for awhile, but most consumer stuff like ThuderBolt is kind of bandwidth starved (PCIe 2.1 x4). The software support isn't quite there yet either, unfortunately. Work needs to be done by both OS vendors and hardware vendors. I'm sure the BIOS guys have some work to do if they want to roll with ACPI-mediated PCIe hot plug.

MSI actually has a functional demo.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5352/msis-gus-ii-external-gpu-via-thunderbolt

Personally, if this existed I seriously consider just picking up a MacBook Air and just using that as my main pc. If I ever needed to play games I'd just dual-boot and hook up my external GPU.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

With Haswell are there any changes for Thunderbolt and PCI-E 4x limitation?

I really, really want to know when we will see this interface replacing docking stations and eGPUs becoming available.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Does is the QXXX even bottle-necked?

I'm personally hoping to hold onto Ivy Bridge build until Skylake, minus a new SSD Drive or Video Card upgrade.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I was under the impression that the TDP will remain the same but there will be very substantial increases in battery life and graphics.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

necrobobsledder posted:

Those virtualization improvements are giving me a nerd boner. Next thing they'll add is GPU virtualization extensions with Broadwell beating nVidia to the punch and I'd have a small nerdgasm.

I just want this so I could run OS X in a VM :smug:

In other news, I just want to see the mobile performance of Haswell. I'm due for a new laptop this year and my C2D is simply too old :dance:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

That's not bad at all, but I wonder what ATI or nVidia will bring to the table...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Just think of what SkyLake will bring guys :smug:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

you ate my cat posted:

My processor is so old it's not even on that list :(

I'm rocking a Core Duo T7500. A Haswell Thinkpad cannot come soon enough for me.

I don't understand where the onslaught of new ThinkPads is...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Where the are the mobile processor reviews?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I'm just hoping I can leapfrog from Sandy Bridge to Skylake... That would be such an ideal scenario and seems easy enough.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I don't want to delay, I want leapfrog from Sandy Bride to Skylake :)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What's the most likely solution?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

On a slightly different subject where on earth are the Haswell non-Apple laptops?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

necrobobsledder posted:

but for most companies just tacking on a few more blades will always be cheaper than having your developers paid like $11k / mo each spend their time optimizing for a potential few hundred times speedup.

Just throwing in another piece of physical equipment is always better than hiring a human.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I understand how hard-drives fail after years but for something with no moving parts - how do motherboards, RAM and Processors randomly fail after years on end?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is it just me or did Broadwell come out way sooner than expected?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Yea, I can't see a good reason to upgrade my i5-2500k. 99% of the time I'm GPU or limited by my storage.

With SATA Express not being included with Broadwell, what's the point in upgrading? I'm waiting for Skylake.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Surprised to see so many Power guys, how many of work on powersystems on a daily-basis?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I'm still on Sandy Bridge and I don't see a reason to upgrade until Skylake.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Skylake brings SATA Express with-it and even this alone is pretty tempting...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Welmu posted:

Not really: most users are well-served by using a single M.2 SSD in a 4x slot which is ~twice faster (with zero cables) than SATA-Express. Yes, you're limited to a single drive, but the SM951 comes in sizes of up to 1TB and supports NMVe to boot.

Is there even a proper way to mount the M.2 SSD? Or are newer models still coming out?

Not sure if I'm wildly missing the picture but aren't NVMe SSDs geared towards the enterprise and start a a bit over a grand?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

There are dedicated M.2 slots, mounting them isn't a problem. If your board doesn't have one, many folks make little adapter boards that are just M.2 slots directly wired to a PCIe slot on an expansion board for PCIe, or on a little 2.5" sled for SATA.

God bless Startech and their tons of borderline-useless little adapters.

NVMe is currently mostly an enterprise tech, but that's because it's brand new (and therefore expensive, so only enterprise is willing to pay for it) and the benefits of NVMe over AHCI are mostly felt in I/O heavy applications (i.e. in Enterprise). It'll trickle down. Almost every desktop innovation is a trickle-down server innovation from a few years prior.

Ha, I had no idea they started putting M.2 on boards although there a little difficult to identify at first. NVMe looks like a great product but once it reaches consumers which looks to be soon what's the point of SATA Express?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Malcolm XML posted:

SATA Express is the physical spec (the wires) NVMe is the host controller interface (the software API)

You can use SATA Express with AHCI like regular SATA, but that would be artificially limiting the controller, so i suspect everyone will jump to NVMe since every OS supports it already.

Not sure if am following, this is how I'm understanding it...

Currently, we have a combination of SATA and AHCI. SATA is the physical standard while AHCI is the logical standard which allows you to communicate with the host but I don't understand what happens after this? SATA -> AHCI -> ???

Now, we're getting SATA Express and NVMe. I was under the impression that SATA-Express is a direct connection to the PCI-Express bus but it can't communicate without a logical layer and AHCI is needed. We have a path of SATA Express -> AHCI -> PCI-Express

With NVMe, we can simply skip over this physical connection and connect devices directly into PCI-Express and they'll be recognized by the host. NVMe -> PCI-Express...

Am I getting this correctly?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Okay, that makes more sense but then what's the point of SATA Express? NVMe is makes a hell of a lot more...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

If I'm looking at the specifications correctly, couldn't a single P3700 potentially replace some SANs? I'm a little storage illiterate...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Maybe if this was 2005 I'd recommend AMD over Intel but nowadays not so much.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Won't a non-silicon processor also need a completely new instruction set?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Less, much less. Look at intel's tick-tock strategy.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

necrobobsledder posted:

RISC is going to eat x86's lunch is the hardware version of "this is the year of Linux on the desktop" and "strong AI is only 20 years away."

So... Basically never?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Hopefully it'll be a worthwhile upgrade from Sandy Bridge, are there any upcoming SATA-Express drives?