Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Are we thinking there will be launch day availability for Alder Lake or is this just a big announcement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

125w even on the midrange parts lol

I try to understand the AnAndTech article as well but holy hell 125 watts is going to double as a space heater.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Cygni posted:

wait until you hear about GPUs my man

I know GPUs are hot too but I don't need anymore heat!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Khorne posted:

I bet you can undervolt/underclock and get crazy power efficiency. Most modern CPUs are like this because people just don't care about power consumption but do care about X% faster or BIG CLOCK NUMBER. 5950x draws 100w-125w depending on auto oc settings but if you are running it 24/7 for compute you're better off undervolting/underclocking and taking a ~15% performance hit to draw <=60w at full load.

e: it's super hard to find actual undervolting/underclocking perf/watt benchmarks. Most people are just doing the other undervolt to oc thing. I was going to post a graph but I can't find any.

Is it possible to also do this on the GPU as well? I'd take a 15% performance hit if it works out -

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

EoRaptor posted:

You can see marks on the top of the die. it looks like somebody used something to push all the paste to the sides, which means the actual application is probably not this bad.

That was my thought as well, it's not ideal but it's not catastrophically bad either.