Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Krailor posted:

The biggest head scratcher with mITX x99 is that you lose one of the advantages it has over the 97 chipsets; extra PCIE lanes.

I guess one use case is that this allows you to stuff more cores per rack.

You'd think a mini-X99 board would include more NVMe-capable M.2 slots so you'd have to worry even less about where you'd put 2.5" SSDs in the case. Put them on the back side of the board, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It certainly makes me consider Skylake-E more for my next upgrade, that's for damned sure.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

You'll have plenty of time to save up if that roadmap is correct.

Mid-ish 2017 is nearly 2.5 yr away.

Yeah - I might settle for Broadwell-E, which is due out Q1 '16. Depends on what it offers, but 2.5y from now would mean this current system - at least 85% of the innards, will be 5 1/2 years old.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

If anything, I cannot believe the mileage I'm getting out of my 2500k.

Yeah, I'm really happy I convinced myself to upgrade in 2011-12, and as nice as it would be to have 1000MB+/sec solid state storage, the only place I'll ever notice it is faster level load times.

As for AMD, their current state does mean one thing. The time to upgrade is the second you hear they've declared bankruptcy, whether you need to or not.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 27, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

~Coxy posted:

The latest PCI-E SSDs take up so many lanes (and consumer CPUs provide so few lanes) that they steal bandwidth from your GPU anyway.

Probably the only reason they're being 'generous' and giving Skylake 20 lanes. Just enough to SLI two GPUs in x8 and *one* NVMe drive at x4. That neglects the other things utilizing the available lanes, too.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 27, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I've never bothered to stress my 2500K simply because I'm happy at 4.4Ghz at bone stock voltages. I've got a big-rear end Silver Arrow on top of it and I've never seen it break 55-60C at load.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Seems you'll get your 20Ghz processor by 2020 now: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/185688-ibm-betting-carbon-nanotubes-can-restore-moores-law-by-2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'm seriously considering picking up a PCIe SSD to put in that almost-impossible-to-use PCIe slot above the main x16 slot, but I'm pretty certain I'd have to drop my 970 into x8 mode since it's a Z68 board. If anything, I'll be able to grandfather it to my next system.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

No NVMe support on Z68 either :(

Oh, I know it'd just be a glorified storage drive until I got my hands on a new board with a new build. I'd want to use it for MMOs and other stuff that benefits from exceptionally fast seek times and transfer speeds.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 5, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Chuu posted:

While we're tangentially on the subject of Microcenter, I have no idea how they get their bundle prices so low. Are they basically selling at cost or a small loss just to get you in the store?

For example, a couple weeks ago I saw a bundle of a Z97 motherboard plus a G3258 (Pentium Anniversary Edition) for $60, plus you could add on an 840 Evo and/or 8 GB of Cruical memory for about 15% less than newegg. I was so close to buying it just because of how ridiculous that price was (plus a $40 after rebate Antec P70 case) but I just don't need another PC right now.

It doesn't stop at the bundle deals - if you go in there with a PC Part Picker printout and let them know you're building a new computer, they'll almost always cut you a break for buying a lot of poo poo from them instead of from Newegg/Amazon. The downside is tax, and the more you get from them, the more likely they are to 'suggest' their product protection plan to you as an incentive to make their particular store more money. The only reason I can think of as to why MC is able to outprice Newegg/etc. is that they still build their own in-house systems with the Powerspec line.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ehhh, I wouldn't be surprised if Intel figures out an easier mounting system for the fancy heatsink and I'm almost certain that the thing will come with some sort of thin thermal pad instead of paste.

I remember thinking I was loving something up when I was trying to lock my 2500K into my motherboard during my last build. I kept thinking "there's no loving way I'm supposed to be putting this much pressure on the locking bar," because I was trying to be extremely careful to not bend any pins beneath. But evidently I did it right because the chip's been purring like a kitten for over three years at 4.4Ghz.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

You know how you normally have to *force* new Intel chipset drivers to install on your system, especially if you're using an older board like my Z68?

These didn't do that: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/intel-chipset-software-installation-10-1-1-8-whql-download.html

New USB Host Controller drivers, PCI Express Controller Driver, PCI Express Root Port drivers, SMBus controller drivers, Z68 LPC Interface Controller driver...

...I don't know what half of this poo poo is, but so far, so good. They were a bit of a 'scary' install, though - since they upgrade your USB host controller, you'll have a period where everything's locked up, and you will/might get a black screen before they're done installing.

EDIT: Though when you do examine the PCI Express Controller and Root Port drivers, they still point to pci.sys.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 14, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Micro Center really drives any price drop on new Intel chips. They've got enough of them spread out around the country that despite being 'smallish,' they can still bully Newegg and even Amazon around a bit on computer components.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

JnnyThndrs posted:

I like the LGA setup, personally, because removal of the HSF won't yank the drat chip out of the socket half the time.

Except they could have kept PGA and just added a simple over-chip retention clip as part of the assembly and accomplished the exact same thing. Like I said before, I was petrified getting my 2500K locked in years ago because it was my first time dicking around with Intel's new LGA setup, and I could not fathom the amount of force I had to exert on the bar to finally get it down and locked. I thought the bar was going to break or bend, or worse, something was going to bend/break in the socket itself.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Also, Intel mentioned Broadwell-E recently so I guess in light of them pushing Cannonlake back, I guess they've decided to come out with that now versus putting more effort into Skylake-E as originally rumored. I should note that it was WCCFTech that leaked the rumor. Supposedly B-E will use Socket 2011-3 again, so it gives you the ability to watch for deals on current-gen boards, since I'm sure all it'll require to make them B-E-ready would be a BIOS update (one can hope).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Just to be clear, when people say this, they're referring to the CPU being able to run at that multiplier under full load but it's not actually running at that speed all the time, right?

Yeah, most of the time it's clocked down and only 'revs up' under load - not even all the cores will ramp up to the top multi, unless you're running Prime95 or an encoder or something.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Slider posted:

Depends on where you're getting the parts from and if you plan on overclocking.

If you can get the 5820k/x99 for nearly the same price as 6700k/z170, and are going to overclock, the 5820k is probably the better buy.

Current X99 boards will also support Broadwell-E with a BIOS update, whenever Intel decides to get around to releasing it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Thanks for pointing out the Alpha! This application won't be needed for a few months, so I'll stay tuned to see if it still stays on top w/r/t that idea.

The Alpha's also gone on sale for ~$359-399 at times for the i3 version. Check Techbargains periodically, they're usually pretty good with listing when it goes on sale.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

japtor posted:

Hows the noise with NUCs nowadays? From the earlier posts I'm guessing quiet enough. Just asking cause I remember the early models could be annoying in that regard according to reviews.

Just type the model number of the one you're interested into Youtube. People always want to show off poo poo, and you'll probably get a good impression of any noise it makes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

fishmech posted:

You'd want 4k60 if you get a 4k monitor, just so that things won't look weird (since the typical LCD monitor these days refreshes at 60hz). I remember when cheap LCDs were first coming out and some could only handle 30hz updates and it was just really annoying to use a computer with them. To say nothing of the dodgy laptop screens where 100 milliseconds response time was considered good.

Lenovo is trying to sucker people into buying a 'gaming laptop' with a 4K touchscreen that has a 48Hz refresh rate that they pair with a 2GB 960M.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I do notice that Razer is quick to put a '40 Gigabits is a lot, look at this tall bar' graph up there to sell the concept to people, but 40 gigabits per second is 5GB/second (and that's saturating the whole available bus). PCIe 3.0 x16 is ~16GB/sec, and 2.0 x16 is half that. For all intents and purposes, Razer's TB3 box will give you PCIe 3.0 x5-equivalent performance - at the most - and that doesn't even really factor in the (probably infinitesimal) lag you'll most likely get by piping in a video signal over a highly-glorified TB3->PCIe bridge chip.

Given that the laptop they're trying to pair it to only has QHD and UHD options...I think they're pulling a snow job.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 8, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ASUS is putting out a bus-powered 950: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10117/asus-unveils-geforce-gtx-950-graphics-card-that-does-not-require-pcie-power

Mini-ITX version: http://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/MINI-GTX950-2G/

Doesn't appear to be a huge upgrade over the 750Ti just looking at stats, but it's newer silicon and supports HDMI 2.0, which is something the 750Ti can't claim.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah as far as my desktop goes, I don't see any reason to upgrade my 3570K until it dies.

I consider the 2500K one of the most worthwhile purchases I've ever made. I do miss having PCIe M.2 capability, but Skylake-E might be where I finally 'trade up.'

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Oh good, I'm glad the 5.1 GHz Xeon was just a clickbait rumor. That was/would have been bad for my health.

As I recall, the rumor about that was that it was a ~speshul~ chip just for the NSA. But I think the original rumor was outed by WCCFTech, which should tell you all you need to know.

The E5-2620 v4 gives me hope for a 'cheap' 8/16 -K SKUed enthusiast version of the same chip.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 1, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

Broadwell-E is supposed to have a 10-core but it will probably be $999. I'm hoping for a ~$500 8-core for my next system.

Pretty much the same. Four physical cores without threads has been fine since early 2012 - eight physical cores with or without threads would be a good upgrade.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Intel's most recent 2.5" SSD worth a drat was released in 2014, and even it was a rebadge of a slightly older enterprise-level drive. The new one they're putting out uses the same controller as the much-maligned Crucial BX200. Pretty much the only reason you'd still want a 730 is it's the only affordable consumer drive available with a battery backup built into the drive, but if you want more than 480GB, you're screwed, and the 240GB is gimped to 270MB/sec writes (which, let's face it, for normal computer work is more than fast enough).

And I'm saying this with a 240GB 730 as my boot and a 750GB 840 EVO as my Steam drive (won't trust anything else on it). The second 1TB EVOs hit $199 and/or Pros hit ~230-250, I'm buying one.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Apr 11, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

SuperDucky posted:

I cannot find this place online. Link?

http://www.natex.us/Default.asp

They're pretty picked clean at the moment.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

This is the part I was failing to grasp, this makes a lot more sense now, thank you. The 5820k seems a lot more appealing now, just gotta shop for a decent price on the mobo.

Newer-revision (but not new) X99 boards are coming out soon for Broadwell-E, which might lower the prices of the older boards, most/all of which are getting BIOS updates to allow for the newer chips, which use the same socket. They might have USB 3.1 chips added on or a second M.2 slot, but otherwise they'll be the same.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

I don't know what this means.

Skylake-R was designed to use the eDRAM as eDRAM, while Broadwell-C's eDRAM was originally meant for the iGPU on-board the chip. As such, the B-C's eDRAM isn't ideally suited to be used as an L4 pool, while the S-R's is.

Anandtech explained it better:

"The codename “Crystal Well” refers to the added eDRAM cache, which in previous implementations acted as a victim cache for the L3 cache by adding up evicted cache lines from the L3 for quick re-reading, circumventing the main memory. This was particularly useful for gaming and graphics performance where textures are re-read from the memory frequently. However, the data could not exist in the eDRAM without first being accessed, giving initial read latencies the same performance as previous processors."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 13, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

As nice as it is that Intel's finally putting eDRAM on chips, wake me up when they start putting HBM2 on die, and those L4 caches are 2-8GB. That would be a 'time to upgrade from my 2500K' feature.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

2-8gb l4 cache cpu or a lamborghini, cant decide.

At the moment, sure. In 1-3 years, though?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

Yea, don't put computers in cabinets... You can always cut out the back panels of the cabinet or cut holes for fans, but it's never a great idea. On the plus side it has VESA mounts, so you're not hanging your TV you can just toss it on the back.

Or you can sell a kidney and go with one of these: http://www.lian-li.com/en/products-computer-desk/#all/1/grid

The DK-02 can actually hold two systems side by side.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 17, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Assuming that the information here is accurate: http://wccftech.com/intel-broadwell-e-core-i7-processors-specs-prices-launch/

Broadwell-E looks to offer near zero over Haswell-E, and prices have gone up since Haswell-E. I know expectations were low, but this is a little disappointing given that on the Xeon side Intel continued the trend of improvements in performance, performance per watt, and performance per dollar.

Looks like I'm waiting for Skylake-E and/or hoping Kaby Lake has a six-core 'K' option they haven't leaked yet.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

repiv posted:

Intel are going ham with the Skylake-E socket :stare:

If the *entry-level* processor for that socket is less than $600 at launch I'll be shocked. *starts saving up*

Hopefully they'll use all that chip space for a shitload of eDRAM or even HBM1.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So this is what the back of Skylake-E (and Knight's Landing) will look like:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

Do we have a thread for that?

Not sure, but have a pretty comprehensive "beginners" guide:

https://choosemypc.net/wcguide/

You'll get to about halfway down the page and your eyes will glaze over.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Theoretically 500W would be enough but go with a 750W for overhead.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Skylake-R is the chip no one seems to know Intel made, seeing as people are still mentioning the 5775C.

EDIT: Which might be because they're all hard-soldered into AIW motherboards.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 12, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

A 400w psu would be enough for a 1080 and an i7 with like 100w overhead lol

I had to assume he'd pick up a 2x8 1080 and overclock the i7. So yeah - 500W is more than enough, but we're talking the difference of like $20-30 between a 500W and 750W Platinum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

LiquidRain posted:

You guys are making me happy I spent the extra 10 bucks on Corsair.

I've had Corsair fail on me before, but it was a 4x4GB kit. I think that was down to memory controllers still by and large being dogshit at dealing with fully-populated DIMM slots. Ever since going to 2x8GB I've been rock solid. Not going to love life when Skylake-E rolls around, though - six-channel RAM. I kind of enjoy the idea of only having two DIMMs - it makes finding 'the dying stick' so much easier.