Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Macs aren't top end laptops except in price though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

What on earth does that mean?

What part do you not understand?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LRADIKAL posted:

He's confused because you are wrong. They are very much high end laptops by multiple measures. It doesn't mean that it isn't some lovely design if they truly are overheating that easily, but these things are NICE.

No, they're not. They're just expensive crap. They don't compare.

Apple has refrained from doing high end equipment for years in favor of their thinness obsession. This latest overheating example is just one more to toss on the pile. Or the way their "high end" desktop was a dumb tube with minimal updates for 5 years and so on.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Palladium posted:

Intel's laptop CPU lineup are a complete mess that even desktop enthusiasts like me are getting confused.

At least AMD makes it simple for CPU lines on laptops: if it's AMD it's a bad laptop.

:v:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mewse posted:

Yes, and we're also in the largest plateau the PC industry has seen since its inception which makes a valuable chip (2600k) still valuable 5-6 years later

7.75 years since the chip came out, and no it really isn't valuable to anyone who doesn't already have a well-prepared overclocking setup to put it in.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

HalloKitty posted:

Check prices on ebay. They still sell for a reasonable amount, surprisingly enough.

That doesn't contradict me in the least, they're worthless without a good board to put them in and those are getting scarcer all the time. They're also just plain not good for someone to buy into these days.

I get that a lot of people here have carefully built up a system around never upgrading, but objectively it's absolutely not where someone would go if they wanted a CPU now. It's like the PowerMac G5 market where the only people interested want to do something very specific.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Paul MaudDib posted:

wow, there's still a market for G5s? :raise:

Is it like, people running specific legacy applications/hardware that doesn't have x86 drivers, or what?

Yep, weirdos who insist on specific PowerPC software, usually for audio/video production tools that don't want changed. And a residual group of businesses and the like who have a vital PPC-only application that needs to be run on the fastest gear still left to get by.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
You can't have a UEFI system without onboard storage of significant size compared to old style BIOS settings storage.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Most people looking to utilize Meltdown and Spectre will be going after big targets. But for every datacenter that gets targeted, you have to worry about compromised POS terminals at small businesses, or your grandma clicking on an .exe file that promises "the cutest kitten video ever" before buying more knitting yarn with her Visa card.

You seem to be missing that when you convince grandma to click kitten.exe, she authorized UAC on it like she does on every other program and then the malware already has root. And then it doesn't have any need to use meltdown or spectre to attempt to grab snatches of stuff only visible by a root user.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
My favorite thing is when people complain they can't overclock as much anymore ever since Intel started having their chips clock up on the regular and otherwise sold with rated performance close to the max performance the chip can physically do.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

craig588 posted:

You can have a much lower power using NAS using a Raspberry Pi

Sure, if you want a "NAS" that struggles to match the speed of your hard drive in 1998 for transfer.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

craig588 posted:

I just have 3 4TB HDs hooked up with no RAID or anything and replace them when SMART warnings come up. They do about 100MB/s sequentially which is fine for the type of consumer stuff I do. I just have my blurays and all my old games stored there.

A Raspberry Pi absolutely cannot push 100 megabytes per second off USB, it can't even read off of the disks faster than ~35 megabytes per second and that's only if you're not also transferring to the network. Because it's USB 2.0, and USB 2.0 splitting its bandwidth between the disks, the ethernet, etc at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The Xbox One is clocked at 1.75 GHz, the Xbox One X at 2.3 GHz. The PS4 is clocked at 1.6 GHz, the PS4 Pro at 2.13 GHz.

Then there's a mess of differences in RAM amount, speeds, types, and also GPU cores/shaders and counts beyond all that. The salient point is that the XBO plain is behind the PS4 more than you'd expect it to be, but simultaneously the Xbox One X is ahead of the PS4 Pro quite a ways more than you'd initially expect.