Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Enjoy Azran Legacy dudes. The part where you have multiple paths to choose from is tedious as gently caress (and like 75% of the game) but once you get to the final act it all gets good again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Just a friendly notice: if you have unplayed or otherwise unfinished Layton games, you might want to dig them back out and download the daily puzzles because Nintendo is shutting down online service for original DS games on May 20th. Short of a hack or other workaround, this is your last chance to get these games onto your card.

(Azran Legacy tomorrow!)

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Surprised to see no replies regarding Azran Legacy yet (Is everyone here European or something?). I've already sunk 3 hours into it so far and it's quite good.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
I picked up my copy this morning, and I just got home after a 10 hour shift.

Plus I'm still making my way through Bravely D. So it may be a little bit before I crack into Layton. But I'm excited for when I get into it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I picked it up today! Just haven't had too much time to play it. I like how it's breaking the mold and diving right into the craziness from the get go.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm waiting for Amazon to deliver my copy. The solution for a college student without reliable transportation.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The gallery behind the last Secret Door is making me all sad and nostalgic. :smith:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

God damnit, Layton. A circle is not a line. (Sorry for this brief diabolical box interlude).

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Its such a shame that Amazon is both 10 bucks cheaper than buying it locally, and also 4 days slower. Im freakin out, here!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ah yes, Luke's mom, I agree - a top hat and angel wings are truly the height of fashion.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Ah yes, Luke's mom, I agree - a top hat and angel wings are truly the height of fashion.

That fecking fashion game did my head in! My absolute least favourite of all the Layton games, dull, fiddly and repetitive. (Best being the "fit all the objects in the shop shelves" game from Miracle Mask)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Irisi posted:

(Best being the "fit all the objects in the shop shelves" game from Miracle Mask)

This is the truth, that game was amazing.

I'm not sure about the fashion game yet. It's a bit annoying that you have to collect things to give the people, which means it's really not much of a puzzle so much as waiting to get the stuff you need. Like I still haven't found the kitty cat ears that the first girl says she wants. At least the other two games are pretty good.

Though nothing could ever be worse than the "decorate the hotel room" of the very first game.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm not sure about the fashion game yet. It's a bit annoying that you have to collect things to give the people, which means it's really not much of a puzzle so much as waiting to get the stuff you need. Like I still haven't found the kitty cat ears that the first girl says she wants. At least the other two games are pretty good.
It's not unlike the Puppet Play game from Last Specter where there's no incentive to play it until finishing the Index because if you don't have the proper pieces unlocked it's back to square one. The worst Layton subgames by far. The Walnut roller and Bloom games are satisfying, though.

Gutcruncher posted:

Its such a shame that Amazon is both 10 bucks cheaper than buying it locally, and also 4 days slower. Im freakin out, here!

Am I the only one that got the delivery updated to "release day" free of charge? Is this just a thing that varies by area?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They have managed to do the collecting item type of minigame well though. I liked Diabolical Box's Tea brewing game. Maybe just because Layton and Luke's reactions to each variety were entertaining.

I'm enjoying this game's different, more open ended format. It's fun to just jump around all over the place. It also seems like it's just packed with content with new puzzles and areas constantly getting unlocked in old locations.

They're also really playing up the nostalgia factor with things like the Chelmeys showing up on vacation everywhere you go and the really bizarre hotel room "dream sequences".

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

You've done it again, professor.

Kitten Head Ridge
Apr 3, 2009

It is surprising how much space is needed to 'swing a cat'!
I haven't picked it up yet because I'm too poor at the moment. :shrug: I still haven't finished Miracle Mask, so it's no biggie anyway.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
Playing through Azran Legacy. Did they always use the british spellings for words (artefact, civilsation)? I don't remember them doing that in the last five games.

But I don't remember them using the american spellings either. :sweatdrop:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think that's simply because the European version came first and Level 5 didn't bother adapting it to American English. It's probably the same reason the American box art is the same as the European box art.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Tempura Wizard posted:

Am I the only one that got the delivery updated to "release day" free of charge? Is this just a thing that varies by area?

It seems random for me. Sometimes I get games day 1 and others it takes a couple days

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I still can't believe that Eternal Diva is actually plot-relevant.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I finished Azran Legacy today, and I think it might be my favorite game of the series. It definitely felt more like a finale to a trilogy than Unwound Future did, at any rate. The whole endgame was just one :tviv: moment after another. From what little I know of Layton Brothers, I can only assume that Layton’s genepool is full of crazy and it just so happened to pass over him and his mother.

I know past Layton games aren’t all sunshine and rainbows, but Azran Legacy kind of surprised me with how dark it got at times, like in Hoogland with Romilda talking about leaving her dead body behind to set an example or in the final act with Bronev plunging a dagger into a girl’s chest with nary a bit of reluctance.

I can’t get over how much of a dork Sycamore is in his puzzle solving animations. :allears: His identity being obvious from the start because of Miracle Mask’s stinger just made it all the better. I’m a little disappointed that in the endgame, the two puzzles you get as Descole are ones you can’t actually fail.

It’s kind of weird that you can’t actually finish the first request for the Dress-Up minigame until relatively late into the game, since the piece of clothing you need is gated by a plot puzzle. I still haven’t done more than a few courses for the other minigames, but they seem alright. I agree that Miracle Mask’s shop minigame owned, but my favorite still has to be the tea brewing one from the second game. There was just something cathartic about brewing up tea and serving to various characters to see their reactions.

Unrelated, but my favorite throwaway line of dialogue:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just finished the main game. It was pretty great. Doesn't edge out Unwound Future's perfection in my opinion, but it's a good second place.

While I mostly liked the ending section a lot, I have mixed feelings about some of the twists. I'll just put this all in spoilers so don't read unless you've finished! The Sycamore=Descole twist was one I didn't see coming, but thought was really good and satisfying. I'd honestly managed to almost completely forget about that guy. I guess I just didn't think about it too hard, since I knew something weird was up with Sycamore, I just didn't put the pieces together. The other twists I was less pleased with to varying degrees. Emmy's betrayal felt forced and out of character, although it came out alright at the end. The twist about Layton's identity was really dumb though. It felt like it was included to try and recapture the personal stakes involved in Unwound Future, but it fell completely flat. Although his relationship with Claire was also introduced in the same game it paid off, it was thoroughly integrated into the story and his motivation. Here, they just drop this major personal revelation right at the end. I did like his final scene with Bronev where he's like "nope gently caress you, I don't need your name", but I think it would've been better overall if it was just Descole who was connected to Bronev. The Bronevs still would've been incredibly lovely parents, and everything would've played out the same. I guess the difference is that it takes away Descole's personal resentment of Layton, but I still think it was weaker the way it played out.

What I DID like was everything to do with the Azran. Their test was actually really clever. I can see the logic in thinking "Well if the best humanity has to offer, the person who solved all our riddles, is willing to brutally plunge a knife into a girl's heart then yeah gently caress it burn 'em all". And then being willing to sacrifice themselves to save humanity being the way to undo it fits thematically. That was a cool sequence all round.

The thing at the very very end was also really cute. :3: I'm sad to say goodbye to these characters. I think I may replay the first three games again sometime in the somewhat near future. Still got plenty more puzzles to solve in this one first though!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am still going through Miracle Mask. Should I finish that one first before this new one?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yes, definitely.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
At least finish the story, you don't have to finish every last brutally hard block puzzle.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Unlucky7 posted:

I am still going through Miracle Mask. Should I finish that one first before this new one?

You could say that some stuff that happens in Miracle Mask outright spoils some events in Azran Legacy, though Level 5 might just be going for the dramatic irony angle. :v:

Regy Rusty posted:

While I mostly liked the ending section a lot, I have mixed feelings about some of the twists. I'll just put this all in spoilers so don't read unless you've finished! The Sycamore=Descole twist was one I didn't see coming, but thought was really good and satisfying.

:ssh: You should go back and watch the post-credits scene in Miracle Mask if you haven't already.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

You could say that some stuff that happens in Miracle Mask outright spoils some events in Azran Legacy, though Level 5 might just be going for the dramatic irony angle. :v:

:ssh: You should go back and watch the post-credits scene in Miracle Mask if you haven't already.

I honestly totally forgot about that spoiler in the cutscene until reading this post made me watch it again. Not remembering that made the Sycamore=Descole thing a pretty good twist. It was pretty obvious there was something shady with Raymond and Sycamore, but having forgot about Raymond's appearance in that cutscene made me not even think to connect the dots.

In regards to the solution to the mystery, I would have been more upset about the crazy golems hell-bent on destroying the world, if it hadn't have been for all of my expectations being blown away by the Descole/Layton/Bronev familial thing. At that point, the game could have done anything and it still would have just paled in comparison. I was expecting Emmy to turn out to be Layton's half-sister or something at that point. I agree with Regy Rusty's sentiments here.

The whole sacrificing their lives and being revived by ??Azran Magic?? was a little too much though. I like that all of the stories in Layton manage to bring up logical solutions to the supernatural or magic elements of the story, even if that answer is just "robots", so at least I'm glad Aurora turned out to be a golem, and not literally an Azran human encased in ice for a million years.

Regardless, I still enjoyed the story, and the puzzles were the best yet. The locations were also all really cool and looked good in 3D.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So I'm really close to the ending of Azran Legacy, and so far, this is a hell of a way to end a series, Jesus.

Edit: Oh God they ended it with the beginning of Curious Village just as I thought. I think I'm gonna cry.

So long, Professor Layton. It's been a fun six games. Looking forward to vs. Ace Attorney.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 13, 2014

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I'm already sick of these xenophobic pigs who want a fence built around their town just so, can't wait to see what the 4 and 5 difficulty ones look like.

(I'm just kidding I love all these puzzles)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I haven't been able to solve any of the pig puzzles yet without help. They're really frustrating.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The launch trailer for Vs. Phoenix Wright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7cW_duM30A

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Waffleman_ posted:

The launch trailer for Vs. Phoenix Wright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7cW_duM30A

And still no US release date. :( :argh:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Silver95280 posted:

Do you mean a specific one? Because...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That's not specific at all!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Quest For Glory II posted:

That's not specific at all!

I know, but at least we know it's happenning :shobon: Also I think there is direct soon, we'll probably get a specific date then.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

I know, but at least we know it's happenning :shobon: Also I think there is direct soon, we'll probably get a specific date then.

poo poo with the way some of these directs have been going, I bet Layton vs Wright is a surprise eshop release.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Silver95280 posted:

We smug European gits were able to buy it Friday, mine is waiting for me on the kitchen table as I type. :smuggo:

Looks good. Even on the box art both Layton and Wright are pointing at the viewer in accusation/objection, which is really all I want from the game. Just them, pointing at everything repeatedly.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
I'm totally late to the party, but my work is slowing down a little, so I'm finally working my way through Azran Legacy little by little.

I just got the first egg by completing the jungle with the chief.
I'm enjoying it quite a bit. But with all these locations, I quickly start to get tired of the "Oh! Something important happened in the plot, guess I need to go to every screen in the game to see if a puzzle unlocked somewhere"

I love both the flower and acorn minigames, though.
Not so keen on the dressup, I might just wait until I unlock all the clothes and then do them all in one swoop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, the scope of the game made me not care about running around everywhere at every moment in Azran Legacy. I just started blitzing the main game, grabbing all the missed ones whenever they were available then and saving all the non-missable ones for postgame cleanup.

• Locked thread