Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

elf help book posted:

I don't think it's aimed at a young audience as much as it's meant for all ages.

That's why I said "partially." It's still thematically heavier than I think most studios are willing to do for all-ages games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Paracelsus posted:

That's why I said "partially." It's still thematically heavier than I think most studios are willing to do for all-ages games.

I think it's also pretty heavily aimed at the housewife crowd. That's why the US box art is plastered with "Solve over 150 brainteasers!!" like it's some Dell puzzle magazine.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think it's also pretty heavily aimed at the housewife crowd. That's why the US box art is plastered with "Solve over 150 brainteasers!!" like it's some Dell puzzle magazine.

It's true. It's the only game my Mom has ever been remotely interested in.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Playing Box right now, man, I must be terrible at this. I'm at the apple one, and I can't figure it out for the life of me. On a side note, paisleyfox, where is your avatar from?

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

RadicalR posted:

Playing Box right now, man, I must be terrible at this. I'm at the apple one, and I can't figure it out for the life of me. On a side note, paisleyfox, where is your avatar from?

Oh man, wish I could help you with the puzzle, but I have no idea what the apple one is anymore!

But my avatar is from Yakitate!Japan. :keke:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So is the Professor Layton movie out yet, and is it being brought to America? I've completely lost track on that. :ohdear:

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW
The slot machine gun cutscene is awesome. I always thought the cutscene in the Curious Village where they get chased by the runaway ferris wheel was the best of the series, but that just took the cake.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wandering Knitter posted:

So is the Professor Layton movie out yet, and is it being brought to America? I've completely lost track on that. :ohdear:

It has been released in Japan. I haven't heard anything about an official release stateside.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Paracelsus posted:

It has been released in Japan. I haven't heard anything about an official release stateside.

Dude in the first page said that the movie has a planned UK release next month.

It's even listed in the OP. Jeez, guys.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Well, here's a question for ya; Are the voice actors and character names the same between EU and US?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Dude in the first page said that the movie has a planned UK release next month.

It's even listed in the OP. Jeez, guys.

:doh: God drat it, I knew I thought I saw something about it in this topic. Turns out it was the OP! :downs:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I know the DVD will be region-coded, but the Blu-ray will be region free right? So can I just preorder it from, say, Amazon.co.uk and have it shipped to the states or do I need to go through an importing site?

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

paisleyfox posted:

Well, here's a question for ya; Are the voice actors and character names the same between EU and US?

Luke EU VA is different and terrible in a different way to the US one.

e: Looks like the movie is using Euro Luke.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sodium Chloride posted:

Luke EU VA is different and terrible in a different way to the US one.

e: Looks like the movie is using Euro Luke.

Well they use british accents anyways, why would they change that for Britain? Is it not british enough? Is it just bad fake british in the US and they wanted to get it right? This makes no sense to me.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Is it just bad fake british in the US and they wanted to get it right?

Something like that. Complete waste of time if you ask me.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

The voice acting in the EU versions doesn't sound British to my ears.

Although, from looking up some youtube videos, the NA voice acting does sound like American actors trying (and in Luke's case, failing) to sound British.

Orchids!
May 17, 2009

So I'm right before the end of this game and I went back to get any puzzles I missed. I can't seem to find Puzzle #132 though. I looked it up and apparently the robotish kid in front of the arcade gives it to you, but when I talk to him there's no puzzle. This is the last puzzle I need before I get in the car and go to what I assume is the final scene and I don't want to miss it. Is it somewhere else, or have I missed something?

I really like this game, it's true that it's a bit more sad than past games in the series but there's also some pretty hilarious moments, most notably the death of Beesly, who will not be missed.

Opendork
Jan 14, 2006

Orchids! posted:

So I'm right before the end of this game and I went back to get any puzzles I missed. I can't seem to find Puzzle #132 though. I looked it up and apparently the robotish kid in front of the arcade gives it to you, but when I talk to him there's no puzzle. This is the last puzzle I need before I get in the car and go to what I assume is the final scene and I don't want to miss it. Is it somewhere else, or have I missed something?

I really like this game, it's true that it's a bit more sad than past games in the series but there's also some pretty hilarious moments, most notably the death of Beesly, who will not be missed.

I'm not completely sure where you are, but you can't miss anything. Just beat the game and reload your file and everything should be available to you.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I just finished Unwound Future, all puzzles in the main story solved, plus all the mini games completed.
holy poo poo, that game was AMAZING.

I cried so hard when Layton told Claire he couldn't say goodbye again. Then he started crying after he took off his hat.
And then again in the after credits scene where Luke is crying and hugging Layton.

This game had, hands-down, one of the best story lines of any game I've played in recent memory.
The Slot Machine Gun cutscene was downright incredible.
And pretty much anything after Layton ramps the loving car off a hill ONTO THE WALKING DEATH MACHINE ended up being awesome. Especially the "Professor, Where did you learn to fly a plane?" "It's not a plane, Luke. It's an automobile." line.

gently caress, it'll probably be a whole 'nother year before we get Devil's Flute.
I want my next Layton fix now, so badly.
I guess I'll have to survive on the "Layton's Challenges" puzzles, and then the Wi-Fi puzzles.

SereneCrimson fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 19, 2010

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I picked up Puzzle Agent and loved it, so the natural step was to try out the Professor Layton series. I picked up the first game and I'm breezing through it, but are some of the puzzle descriptions purposely ambiguous or is that a product of terrible translation?

savetheclocktower
Sep 23, 2004

You wait and see, Mr. Caruthers. I will be president! I'll be the most powerful president in the history of America. And I'm gonna clean up this country!
I like this entire series, on the whole, but right now I've got a list of stuff to bitch about :

(1) Puzzles that are worded so vaguely that you need to spend two hint coins before you even know what's being asked.
(2) Puzzles that ask you to do something like "pick the odd one out" in situations where you could argue for several of them being the odd one out.
(3) Puzzles where the first hint isn't even a hint. ("This one may seem tricky, but just relax and think it through.")
(4) Heading from point A to point B on some contrived excuse, then abandoning that excuse halfway through and deciding to go to point C. Let's randomly go back to the present to get the Inspector. Let's go to the restaurant instead of the hotel. Let's go to the hotel instead of the restaurant.
(5) The game is just a bunch of puzzles with Plot Caulk around them, and that's fine. But there's something so insipid about being trained to think logically for hours on end, then being presented a plot so illogical that it makes your scalp hurt. As soon as Layton pronounces that he's FIGURED EVERYTHING OUT… strap in, kids, because the next words that fall out of his mouth were penned by a paranoid schizophrenic. What if EVERYONE was a ROBOT, man? What if we were all living in a SHARED DREAM? THINK ABOUT IT
(6) Most importantly: you can't tack a tear-jerker onto the end of a nonsensical, hole-filled story and expect it to be poignant in any way. I'm happy some random girl I barely met got reunited with her grandpa, but GO BACK TO THAT "SHARED HALLUCINATION" THING, PLEASE

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Come to think of it - I haven't played Unwound Future, but do they ever address the bit in the intro to Pandora's Box where Layton says that Luke isn't really his apprentice?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Come to think of it - I haven't played Unwound Future, but do they ever address the bit in the intro to Pandora's Box where Layton says that Luke isn't really his apprentice?

I think that will be addressed in the upcoming prequel trilogy showing the origins of Luke, of which the first has already been released in Japan.

Speaking of which, the second game in that trilogy has been confirmed for release in the West... but not the first. The first contains an entire unlockable 100-hour sim/RPG, and Level 5 is self-publishing worldwide thanks to Nintendo being loving slow, so that would explain that game never being released in the West. However, the second game's Western release announcement was the first time is content was shown off, and the first time its 3DS game status was revealed. Also, the in-game text that was shown contained translation errors, indicating a hasty translation for the purposes of showing off, so the out-of-order announcement might have been just that, in order to show off their new 3DS game. Who the gently caress knows.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Crazy Achmed posted:

BiggerJ mostly covered this, but in UF you do find out that Luke does have his own father and still lives with him, so Layton isn't Luke's father. But other relations....?

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

paisleyfox posted:

BiggerJ mostly covered this, but in UF you do find out that Luke does have his own father and still lives with him, so Layton isn't Luke's father. But other relations....?

How would that affect Luke not being his apprentice? it's not like Luke is his ward, like Dick Grayson.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Endgame: :cry: oh god, everything is just going to hell here at the end. Layton loses the love of his life, Luke moves away, and everything ends in the most depressing manner possible

At least we got to see the origins of Don Paolo.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Just finished Unwinding the Future. Holy crap, that was amazing.

Capsaicin posted:

At least we got to see the origins of Don Paolo.

Man, and compared to the parallel scenes later on? Most painful case of mood whiplash I've had in an adventure game in ages and ages. I like him when he's on the side of the heroes. Kind of makes me want to see a Drs. Light and Wily the Early Years.

savetheclocktower posted:

Most importantly: you can't tack a tear-jerker onto the end of a nonsensical, hole-filled story and expect it to be poignant in any way

Your spoiler is for Diabolical Box; suffice to say Unwound Future is a lot better at this. In Diabolical Box, that scene's payoff isn't the tearjerker, it's Layton kicking rear end with sword and top hat. I can't deny that Unwound Future largely does the same thing you describe, but IMO Unwound Future also largely worked (to the point I thought you meant UF before I checked the spoiler.)

ETA: Was I the only one kind of creeped out by the revelation in Unwound Future that Layton's top hat is a Great Expectations Miss Havisham kind of thing? The scene in the ending where he finally takes the hat off, after being psychopathically obsessive about keeping it on at all times in Diabolical Box, was actually kind of liberating to me - he's suffered a great loss, but he's finally free.

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Sep 24, 2010

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

I like this entire series, on the whole, but right now I've got a list of stuff to bitch about :

(5) The game is just a bunch of puzzles with Plot Caulk around them, and that's fine. But there's something so insipid about being trained to think logically for hours on end, then being presented a plot so illogical that it makes your scalp hurt. As soon as Layton pronounces that he's FIGURED EVERYTHING OUT… strap in, kids, because the next words that fall out of his mouth were penned by a paranoid schizophrenic. What if EVERYONE was a ROBOT, man? What if we were all living in a SHARED DREAM? THINK ABOUT IT

Have you hit the big twist of Unwound Future? It's staggeringly bad and makes the first two games' twist seem reasonable.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

ManxomeBromide posted:

ETA: Was I the only one kind of creeped out by the revelation in Unwound Future that Layton's top hat is a Great Expectations Miss Havisham kind of thing? The scene in the ending where he finally takes the hat off, after being psychopathically obsessive about keeping it on at all times in Diabolical Box, was actually kind of liberating to me - he's suffered a great loss, but he's finally free.

His hat totally came off during the sword fight anyway. :colbert:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

cronox2 posted:

Have you hit the big twist of Unwound Future? It's staggeringly bad and makes the first two games' twist seem reasonable.

The entire series so far: Professor Layton and the not real village/town/city

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

The Merkinman posted:

The entire series so far: Professor Layton and the not real village/town/city

This is pretty spot-on, actually.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
They're starting to hit M. Night levels of bad plot twists.

(Curious Village/Unwound Future spoilers) It's sad to me that a town being only inhabited by robots is the most reasonable twist they've come up with so far. The only part I really appreciate about Unwound's story is that they finally decided that Don Paulo deserved a back story. Up until then I completely hated him for being an unnecessary villain and not even a good one at that.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

cronox2 posted:

Diabolical Box/Unwound Future spoilers: I object, no plot twist is ever going to be as bad as Diabolical Box. Even Unwound Future's plot twist is more believable than "shared hallucination brought on by toxic gas."

Finished this game today, time to go back and hunt down the puzzles I missed. My least favorite part of these games :negative: I think I'm still missing a sticker for the picture book, too, but I haven't checked lately.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I like the retarded plot twists. Because they're retarded. :colbert:

That being said I looked up some videos on the British version of Luke's voice and holy poo poo :byodood:

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I just finished all the main-game puzzles in Unwound Future, and it's the first game in the series I didn't have to look up puzzle locations on the Internet for. So hooray for that.

The Layton's Challenges ones I looked at briefly afterwards look a lot harder than in the previous games, though. At least I won't have to worry about not making the 5200 picarat limit.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

dumb brunette posted:

Diabolical Box/Unwound Future spoilers: I object, no plot twist is ever going to be as bad as Diabolical Box. Even Unwound Future's plot twist is more believable than "shared hallucination brought on by toxic gas."

Finished this game today, time to go back and hunt down the puzzles I missed. My least favorite part of these games :negative: I think I'm still missing a sticker for the picture book, too, but I haven't checked lately.

Hmm. I object back. I can deal with shared hallucinations over 1 man spending an ungodly amount of money to recreate London miles beneath the Earth's surface. I just can't get over the amount of money and manpower it would take and how none of the workers involved would have told anyone about it.

Don't get me wrong, I love Layton games. I always tear through them in about a week and Unwound was no exception.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Wandering Knitter posted:

That being said I looked up some videos on the British version of Luke's voice and holy poo poo :byodood:
I was hoping to get the european release of the Layton movie and now you've got me scared.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

cronox2 posted:

Hmm. I object back. I can deal with shared hallucinations over 1 man spending an ungodly amount of money to recreate London miles beneath the Earth's surface. I just can't get over the amount of money and manpower it would take and how none of the workers involved would have told anyone about it.

Don't get me wrong, I love Layton games. I always tear through them in about a week and Unwound was no exception.

Yeah, the time travel idea was actually a lot more plausible than the underground city, especially given Clive's age and the 10 year time span. I just had to laugh at all the 'What?!' and 'This is incomprehensible' lines that came with the relevations. It was clear I shouldn't be taking anything even semi-seriously, even the implicit deaths of hundreds of Londoners.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Honestly, I think that's really funny, and possibly intentional. I mean, we have all these logic problems with answers that have reasonable conclusions if you just think about it, and then the game's stories like to just have these ridiculous explanations that one never could have thought of under normal circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
Seriously, about the only twist in the games I wouldn't expect is if everything was exactly what it seemed to be. That would actually blow my mind.

• Locked thread