Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!

Welcome to the Professor Layton megathread. This thread covers all topics regarding the series.
As a common courtesy, please spoiler all plot points and puzzle solutions! Be sure to label each spoiler to make sure nobody stumbles upon something they didn't want to find out yet.

A game about a PROFESSOR?! What is this all about?
The Professor Layton series is all about the adventures of Herschel Layton and his apprentice Luke Triton, The two of them travel around solving mysteries and generally helping everyone they come across figure out how to get a ball out of a sliding box puzzle, or how to move a matchstick to turn one image into another.
Each game revolves around a large mystery that the good professor must solve. Along the way you will run into many mini mysteries and side quests, many of which will unlock new puzzles upon completion.

How do you play these games?
The Layton series is basically a point and click adventure game, you click on people, objects and various other things in order to find clues and progress the plot. You can also find puzzles that make up the meat of the games.
These puzzles can range from sliding block puzzles, math puzzles, brain teasers and more.
Each puzzle is worth a set amount of Picarats, which can be "spent" to unlock bonus features. Getting the wrong answer on a puzzle causes the amount of Picarats earned to lower.
To make the puzzle solving experience a little easier, you can spend hint coins (found by poking around the scenery) to get that extra little boost towards the correct answer.
Each game also includes side quests that usually involve using items found by solving puzzles, these include mixing tea for characters, repairing a robotic dog and arranging furniture in a room to suit the tastes of Layton and Luke.

Every Layton game released so far has had access to weekly released Wi-Fi puzzles. For a couple of months, players can get a new puzzle each week to complete.

Why do we love these games so drat much?
The mix of excellent music, gorgeous european animation inspired art style (Complete with amazing fully voiced cut scenes), and at-times brain bustingly tricky puzzles combined with a great mystery storyline makes the Layton series a tremendous joy to play.

The Games

Game 1: Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Releases:
Japan: February 15th 2007
North America: February 10th 2008
Europe: November 7th 2008
Australia: March 10th 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy_Q4k-kCmc

Game 2: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (Also known as Professor Layton and Pandora's Box)
Releases:
Japan: November 29th 2007
North America: August 24th 2009
Europe: September 25th 2009
Australia: September 24th 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8XlsiwlGAE

Game 3: Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (Also known as Professor Layton and the Lost Future)
Releases:
Japan: November 27th 2008
North America: September 12th 2010
Europe: October 22nd 2010
Australia: October 21st 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8yTvLc1Sb4

Game 4: Professor Layton and the Last Specter (Also known as Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call)
Releases:
Japan: November 26th 2009
North America: October 18th 2011
Europe: November 25th 2011
Australia: December 1st 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi_X2Bh0XwM

Game 5: Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask for the Nintendo 3DS
Releases:
Japan: February 26th 2011
North America: October 28th 2012
Europe: October 26th 2012
Australia: October 27th 2012

Game 6: Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy For the Nintendo 3DS
Releases:
Japan: February 28th 2013
North America: TBA 2014
Europe: November 8th 2013
Australia: November 9th 2013

Movie: Professor Layton And the Eternal Diva

Yes! Layton even has his own film!
Releases:
Japan: December 19th 2009
North America: November 8th 2011
Europe: October 11th 2010
Australia: TBA

Other Stuff

Layton 7 (For iOS and 3DS)
Release: TBA (Everywhere)
Premise: ???

Layton Brothers: Mystery Room (For iOS)
Releases;
Japan: September 21st 2012
North America: June 27th 2013
Premise: Play as Layton's son, who with his assistant solve murders. A kind of Phoenix Wright-ish game. All in all about $5 for all cases, a decent bit of fun.

Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney
Releases:
Japan: November 29th 2012
North America: TBA 2014
Europe: TBA 2014
Australia: TBA 2014
Premise: :swoon: CROSSOVER OF THE CENTURY!!!! :swoon:

Happy Puzzling!
And remember:
Critical Thinking is the key to a Success!

SereneCrimson fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I just finished Unwound Future, all puzzles in the main story solved, plus all the mini games completed.
holy poo poo, that game was AMAZING.

I cried so hard when Layton told Claire he couldn't say goodbye again. Then he started crying after he took off his hat.
And then again in the after credits scene where Luke is crying and hugging Layton.

This game had, hands-down, one of the best story lines of any game I've played in recent memory.
The Slot Machine Gun cutscene was downright incredible.
And pretty much anything after Layton ramps the loving car off a hill ONTO THE WALKING DEATH MACHINE ended up being awesome. Especially the "Professor, Where did you learn to fly a plane?" "It's not a plane, Luke. It's an automobile." line.

gently caress, it'll probably be a whole 'nother year before we get Devil's Flute.
I want my next Layton fix now, so badly.
I guess I'll have to survive on the "Layton's Challenges" puzzles, and then the Wi-Fi puzzles.

SereneCrimson fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 19, 2010

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Since there was that whole 3DS conference thing last night, Level-5 released a trailer for Mask of Miracle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCE8g3r2OAA

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Awww Europe, you motherfuckers.

If you register all 3 games on Club Nintendo, you get a sweet rear end case with the Layton symbol that holds the 3 games.

And you guys are getting the movie next week. :colbert:

(edit: I could have sworn the movie came out on the 11th, everywhere is now saying the 18th...)

SereneCrimson fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 12, 2010

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsi2Ay_JxaE

How would you like a new Mask of Miracle trailer?
It's looking good.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Well, Layton 5 is out tomorrow (Today?) in Japan. and...

What the hell were they thinking with that boxart? :psyduck:

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

IGN has video preview of Layton 5

I want this game so badly now! Widescreen cinematics :swoon:
And drat, Controlling Layton, on horseback, while he's chasing down a flying guy through 3D streets and allyways, this game is going to be drat fine.

Please Nintendo/Level 5, Give us release info for Layton 4, and then give us 5 not too much longer after.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Well, looks like we`ll probably get a trailer for Layton 4 at E3!
Considering Level-5 has filed a trademark for "Professor Layton and the Last Specter"
Something very similar happened last year, where a trademark for Unwound Future popped up around 3 weeks before E3.
Hell yes!

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

YEEEEEEAHHH!

Press site also had a trailer, but for some reason it didn't work when I downloaded it. Expect it on Youtube very, very soon though.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuML3Bis1Zs

I was hoping for a voiced trailer, but hell, I'll take whatever Layton I can get!

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Hey, Europe (And probably Australia as well), You're getting yet another name change.

Last Specter will be titled...
Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call

Still not quite sure why, aside from Curious Village, the names are being changed.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Lovely News!! :siren:

Viz Media is bringing Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva to North America!
I ended up watching the UK release, in fear of never seeing it over here, and I can attest that it is an amazing film.

And I'd imagine that there will be a re-dub of Luke's parts with the NA voice.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Liku posted:

and see there's 5 games in total... but only two have been fuckin' released in the US? :wtc:
:confused:

3 games have been released in the US, and the 4th is coming soon. (With the 5th having a fantastic chance of coming afterwards)

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva has a North American release date of November 8th
Pick up your DVD for $20! I know I'll be there. :)

Also, Last Specter is supposed to be out in the weeks prior to the movie release.
So that would give it a September/October release.

Not long til the next Layton fix!

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

poik007 posted:

No indication if London Life is going to be still in, right? I hope it will.

Press Release posted:

Professor Layton and the Last Specter for the Nintendo DS family of systems is the fourth installment in the Professor Layton puzzle adventure series. It begins a new trilogy that is a prequel to the original games, set three years before the events in Professor Layton and the Curious Village™. The game contains more puzzles than any in the series to date. As a North American exclusive to the overall Professor Layton and the Last Specter package, a bonus role-playing game called Professor Layton’s London Life™ containing more than 100 hours of additional content will be available to players from the start of the game.

Yes! :D London Life is still included. (But... uh, "North American Exclusive"??? It was in the Japanese version, and is this supposed to indicate that Europe won't get London Life?)

Oh god, I am going to sign away so much of my life to this game...

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi_X2Bh0XwM

Oh man, finally a voiced trailer.

As soon as I started watching, all I could think about was how much I want this game in my hands.
God I love the Layton series.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

:mad:

Went out to grab Batman and Last Specter.
I'm home, and only have Batman, nobody got Layton in.

I'm gonna punch every henchman extra hard for this.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Finally picked up a copy of Last Specter.

So excited to have another Layton fix. :3: What a wonderful series.
Also, London Life. The "Mother 3" graphics just look fantastic, and it'll be great to just whittle away my free time with. :P

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Really, not that there was ANY doubt at this point in time, but at the end of a Spectre's Call trailer was this little bit.

We'll have Mask of Miracle (or whatever the name is, if it's changed; which it probably will be) in 2012! :D

Last Specter is really good so far, unfortunately I've been busy as hell, so I've only dived about 25 puzzles deep. I can't wait to play more and see how this ones story unfolds.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Finally finished Last Specter.

I enjoyed it a fair bit, a lot of good puzzles, and the story had a suitable level of 'laytonesque' crazyness to it. the reveal of Loosha made me do a :stare: look at the screen. Wasn't expecting that one.
It may have taken me a while, but I'm glad I finally sat down and got through it (Thanks to having my reading week mostly off)

Well, with that now off my plate, bring on Mask of Miracles!!! (and more Descole :D)

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

For the 3rd year in a row, a trademark has appeared just prior to E3.

The NA title for Layton 5, the 3DS game, is "Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask"

As per usual, we'll very likely get a trailer and some goodies in the E3 Press Kit that'll share all the info around Nintendo's conference on June 5th.

For being the 3rd year in a row where this has happened, I'll be a little let down next year when this doesn't happen again. (Unless Japan announces and releases Layton 6 within the next year...)

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

While it may not have been announced at E3.

"Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask" was announced on last nights Nintendo Direct.

Releasing in NA this November!
There is a voiced trailer for it on the eShop.
:woop:

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Know how I said releasing this November?

Its actually releasing this October!!
October 28th to be exact.

And here! Have the NA boxart.

Waaaaaaaay better than the Japanese box.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Hot drat you guys!
Miracle Mask comes out in NA next Sunday. 8 DAYS AWAY.
And in EU on Friday. 6 DAYS AWAY.

Remeber, you can get it both as a retail title, or download the full game from the eShop so your 3DS will never be without puzzling adventures!!!

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I've been digging Layton Brothers as a little phone diversion. Yeah, it's not exactly Layton as I know it. But I'm having decent fun with it.
Only finished case 4, so still a bit to see. $5 doesn't seem bad at all for it.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Along with news that we're getting Layton 6 (Azran Legacy) next year.

Today was a good day!

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I don't quite know how I feel about Layton 7.
But I don't think I like it. :/

From that footage however, it should at least look fancy with 3D turned all the way up.
Still disappointing.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

After updating the OP, I realized that Azran Legacy is set to come out in November for Europe/Australia. Whilst NA still has a vague 2014 release date.
This is interesting.

Also noteworthy that this would be the first time that the Japanese and Euro versions launch in the same year.

(And I still really wanna hear some news about Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney...)

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Well Ausgoons and Eurogoons, the game is almost in your hands!

I envy you and am shaking my fist at you all the way from cold ol' Canada.

GAME is also giving out a rather nice pre-order bonus of a leather card wallet.

I wish NA would get preorder bonuses for Layton games.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Just announced on Nintendo Direct; Azran Legacy releases in NA on February 28th.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Well, we're 2 weeks off of the NA release of Azran Legacy.
The Nintendo Direct had a little trailer showing off some of Emmy's scenes from Last Specter and Miracle Mask. Put a little emphasis that Azran Legacy is her last adventure with the Professor.

Man, This game ending is going to be so bittersweet.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I picked up my copy this morning, and I just got home after a 10 hour shift.

Plus I'm still making my way through Bravely D. So it may be a little bit before I crack into Layton. But I'm excited for when I get into it.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I'm totally late to the party, but my work is slowing down a little, so I'm finally working my way through Azran Legacy little by little.

I just got the first egg by completing the jungle with the chief.
I'm enjoying it quite a bit. But with all these locations, I quickly start to get tired of the "Oh! Something important happened in the plot, guess I need to go to every screen in the game to see if a puzzle unlocked somewhere"

I love both the flower and acorn minigames, though.
Not so keen on the dressup, I might just wait until I unlock all the clothes and then do them all in one swoop.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Just beat Azran Legacy.

I figured Sycamore was Descole within the first hour, so nothing of that was a surprise.
I was honestly shocked at the Descole and Layton are brothers with Bronev being the dad bit.

From Sycamore talking about losing his daughter, and that one NPC saying "Are you guys..." in reference to Emmy/Sycamore, I thought the last bit of that sentence would be 'related', and that Emmy was actually Sycamore's daughter that had been taken by Targent.

Emmy being a (not really) traitor took me by surprise, but not too bad. Since she isn't mentioned at all in the original trilogy, I knew they'd try and do something to get her out of the picture.

I'm honestly a tad disappointed. After all the games tend to do the "Crazy events explained by logical solutions" storylines, having an actual crazy advanced race with death robots seemed so far off from the series norm. But it was insane in the best way.

All that's left to do right now is solve the extra puzzle sets. They're always a nice little difficulty boost.
I'm going to take a good decent break from the game and not do the dailies.

Overall, I loved the game. Really nice end for the series (If it is the end.)
Ending with the opening to Curious Village was drat brilliant, put a gigantic smile on my face.
Looking forward to Layton vs. Wright.
Then, whenever I have that Layton itch, I have lots of daily puzzles to catch up on.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

It's finally here NA!!! Tomorrow the wait is finally over for Layton vs. Wright.
Depending on what the future holds, this could be the final Professor Layton release... (Well, aside from Layton 7, if that is even still coming, assuming it has ANYTHING to do with Layton himself)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

Oh.. :negative:
I had heard the 26th tossed around a bunch of times and never bothered to double check to see if it was correct.
There goes my plans of going out tomorrow to pick it up.

• Locked thread