Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

paisleyfox posted:

I. HATE. THIS. PUZZLE. I tried, I really did, and after I covered my memo pad with a million multicolored lines (love that upgrade, btw), I just started guessing because fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

There's actually a trick to that one - Once you've determined that all you can do is move up and right to reach the corner as fast as possible, counting the number of possible move interleaves turns into a straight multiplication/combinatorics problem.

paisleyfox posted:

Also, I am terrible at the third car bonus puzzle. I think this game shows how much it hates you in the bonus puzzles if it involves cake.

I had less trouble with that one than I did with the first tutorial car level. *shrug*

I seem to play these games really slow - Diabolic Box had about 17 hours on it by the time I 100%ed it - but it's been really worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

RagnarokAngel posted:

Plus I know "hur hur Americans are dumb" is an easy shot but Pandora's box is far from obscure even to Americans. I think they just elected to go with the literal translation for the US version and the European publishers decided on something else.

Honestly I'd think "diabolical" in a children's game would go over worse than Pandora's box.

Not to mention the fact that the Pandora's Box of myth has absolutely nothing to do with the in-game purported, suspected, actual, or intended capabilities or properties of the Elysian Box. There's more to being smart than random allusions, anyhow.

Not that "Elysian Box" is all that much better either, and I don't see why Anton would have ever bothered calling it that.

precision posted:

I got [the card puzzle], but for a different reason than the game.

What reason did you find? (I guessed.)

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I thought only one guy gave chess puzzles in the first game and they were all really easy, I never spent more than a few minutes on each one.

The first one had N Queens puzzles, which I can do in my sleep. The second one had the @#$*&^!@#*&#@ing Knight's Tour, which I have trouble solving even with automated programs. Good thing it's been solved for hundreds of years and I can just consult the !*&@#ing internet.

Same deal for the jumping-pegs solitaire, really, though the smaller versions I actually managed to solve entirely on my own. Those were fun. The full board version is another "I could poke at this for hours on end or I could look up the centuries-old answer", though, and at that point it was 9/11 and Unwound Future was coming out tomorrow, so I wimped out.

I feel less guilty about those. If they're going to write puzzles by looking up classics, I'm going to solve them the same way. But I'll take every riddle variant happily, and my favorite in the whole series so far is from game 1: the golfer with the fixed-length putt, which looks like a classic linear combination puzzle but isn't. Haven't finished Unwound Future yet, though. I have high hopes for it.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Just finished Unwinding the Future. Holy crap, that was amazing.

Capsaicin posted:

At least we got to see the origins of Don Paolo.

Man, and compared to the parallel scenes later on? Most painful case of mood whiplash I've had in an adventure game in ages and ages. I like him when he's on the side of the heroes. Kind of makes me want to see a Drs. Light and Wily the Early Years.

savetheclocktower posted:

Most importantly: you can't tack a tear-jerker onto the end of a nonsensical, hole-filled story and expect it to be poignant in any way

Your spoiler is for Diabolical Box; suffice to say Unwound Future is a lot better at this. In Diabolical Box, that scene's payoff isn't the tearjerker, it's Layton kicking rear end with sword and top hat. I can't deny that Unwound Future largely does the same thing you describe, but IMO Unwound Future also largely worked (to the point I thought you meant UF before I checked the spoiler.)

ETA: Was I the only one kind of creeped out by the revelation in Unwound Future that Layton's top hat is a Great Expectations Miss Havisham kind of thing? The scene in the ending where he finally takes the hat off, after being psychopathically obsessive about keeping it on at all times in Diabolical Box, was actually kind of liberating to me - he's suffered a great loss, but he's finally free.

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Sep 24, 2010

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I just finished all the main-game puzzles in Unwound Future, and it's the first game in the series I didn't have to look up puzzle locations on the Internet for. So hooray for that.

The Layton's Challenges ones I looked at briefly afterwards look a lot harder than in the previous games, though. At least I won't have to worry about not making the 5200 picarat limit.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

elf help book posted:

A pink DS isn't very gentlemanly.

Maybe it's salmon instead of pink, the excuse color of pink-shirted men everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

The 19th Person posted:

"Use the ticket in the instruction manual to puzzle this one out."

BULL. loving. poo poo.

Also totally optional as long as you can mess with an image of paper in your head.

• Locked thread