Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

eating only apples posted:

Means nothing to most of you, but the UK launch day is finally here! After weeks of hearing all about how good it is, I'm off to pick up Unwound [Lost] Future in a minute :)

I should really beat Curious Village, but that stupid Get the Princess Out puzzle has me stumped. :argh:

I got it today, yay! And because I preordered I got a Professor Layton Rubix Cube as a freebie. My dad is currently trying to solve it and getting frustrated, bless his heart.

Plus, did any other UK folk see the wraparound cover with the Daily Express newspaper today? It was a 4-page advert for the game done as a mockup of the front page of the paper, it was adorable :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

eating only apples posted:

I found out about it when "Don Paolo" Tweeted it. Totally disappointed I didn't know about it sooner. :( Where did you get the game from? I was in a rush so just dashed into the nearest Gamestation, no preorder. I want a Rubix Cube! :(

Awww. I got it in GAME (got double points on my reward card too, not too shabby). They had loads of cubes in stock too, if anyone has still to buy it I'm pretty sure the staff will give you one even without a preorder.

I'm 29 puzzles in and have just invented a Coin Operated Machine Gun. This game is amazing! Future Luke is adorable, but I miss poor neglected Flora and I really hope Don Paulo turns up soon, because he's just hilarious.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

I just finished the game, and while the general plot was as cheerfully mental as always, the ending was surprisingly sad & heartfelt. Poor Layton :(

Don Paulo totally stole the last half of the game though. I love Don Paulo. The next game in the series should ditch the kids and just have him following Layton about, bitching constantly at him & occasionally saving the day with a crazy mechanical flying contraption. That'd be a great game.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Nohtenki posted:

I finished Unwound Future about two days ago, and I finished Diabolical Box last night (apparently I was about an hour away from the end, who knew?) and I have to say Unwound Future was the better one. Less math puzzles and I love how memo works now. The ending to Diabolical Box was sweet but very anticlimactic I think.

I'm very fond of Lost Future, and think the memo feature is an absolute joy, but I have to say it dragged a little in the middle, when you're running back and forth from Chinatown for the umpteenth time.

Plus, the minigames were a bit of a pest (was it me or were the physics in the parrot game were completely buggered?) I preferred the tea minigame in Diabolical Box, it suited the completely bonkers tone of the game to have Layton and Luke brewing up cuppas for the possibly imaginary residents of a vampire haunted town whilst running for their lives.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

I like the new investigation mode, but part of the game goes weirdly reminiscent of the DS Zelda games. Lots of wandering through boulder-strewn caves with a shovel, half-expecting adorable little toon-Link to jump out with a "ki-yah!".

The standard puzzles are still good fun though, and the music and animated scenes are very lovely, as always.

And of course, always good to see that Level-5 still have their noted attention to detail when it comes to the British countryside. Because of course there's a great big cactus-filled desert on our little island, I think it's in Essex...

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Behonkiss posted:

First trailer for Azran Legacies is up. Looks like they're going for a globetrotting Indiana Jones-y setup for this. As someone who always likes an epic scope, this seems like a great way to end the series.

That looks delightful! Giant airships fit in perfectly to the style and tone of the Layton world, don't they?

I'm already sad that this will be the last Layton game. I'll miss him and his hat, and the way that after playing it I have this uncontrollable urge to point at things around me and say "Professor, I solved it!".

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

I love Unwound Future, but something about Diabolical Box really tickles my fancy. It's just the sheer mentalness of the second half of the game, where you're wandering in a hallucinogenic daze around a crumbling town, talking to people who're 50 years older than they appear and serving them cups of tea while they gibber about vampires. It's kind of amazing in it's sheer lunacy.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Got Azran Legacy yesterday, and am about 40 puzzles in. There's been a scene with a pointy-figure accusation from Layton already, which is nice :3:. The animation is beautiful too, but that's a given.

The most remarkable thing about it so far is the sheer amount of sidequests and minigames, you get a lot of bang for your buck in this. There's 5 or 6 of the things already, my favourite is the squirrel nut-rolling game.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

Well that was kind of a huge twist :aaaaa:

Edit: oh crap another! This poo poo be cray

I've finished the whole game. On the scale of Layton Twists it's not quite as balls to the wall insane as the ones involving giant mecha destructo-robots in Last Specter or Unwound Future, but it does all kind of come out of nowhere, all at once. After the entire middle part of the game just being cutsey adventures with whimsical folk around the world it sort of blindsided me.

Bit odd, but then, pretty much the whole Layton series can be summed up as "Adorable, but a bit odd"

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

My mother got Miracle Mask for Christmas and finished it recently, but it didn't save after the credits. From what I remember of the first one, you could beat the game, reload your game and go do any puzzles you'd missed or whatever. Can you do that in Miracle Mask? I got her to re-load her save game, but she says that if she tries to go anywhere, Layton just says that he needs to talk to Randall (or something).

You should be able to, no problem, looks like something's gone a bit wrong there. It should save right before the bit where the game sort of shuts you down into the endgame sequence of puzzles, as far as I can remember, and then when you complete the game it lets you wander around as normal.

I'd try going through the ending again (if you hit start during the numerous cutscenes it'll let you skip them to save time), and see if the save clicks in this time.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Ah yes, Luke's mom, I agree - a top hat and angel wings are truly the height of fashion.

That fecking fashion game did my head in! My absolute least favourite of all the Layton games, dull, fiddly and repetitive. (Best being the "fit all the objects in the shop shelves" game from Miracle Mask)

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Silver95280 posted:

And still no US release date. :( :argh:

We smug European gits were able to buy it Friday, mine is waiting for me on the kitchen table as I type. :smuggo:

Looks good. Even on the box art both Layton and Wright are pointing at the viewer in accusation/objection, which is really all I want from the game. Just them, pointing at everything repeatedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Anyway, I can take or leave the branching. I don't know what reason you'd have to change the order around. Maybe my reaction was colored by the fact that Miracle Mask was, IMO, the worst one.

Miracle Mask wasn't helped by the fact that Randall, the character you're supposed to care about and feel sorry for is a dreadful, pushy little poo poo of a teenage boy. Halfway through that endless dungeon section in the flashback, where he just keeps on whining and bullying Layton to go further and solve more puzzles I was seriously rooting for the teenage Hershel to just brain him with that bloody shovel and scarper back up to the surface.

• Locked thread