Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm glad the Layton series keeps getting regularly localized. Hopefully that'll carry over to the upcoming Phoenix Wright crossover, considering that Capcom has apparently given up on localizing the Ace Attorney series. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This series is leaps and bounds beyond Puzzle Agent. Honestly, PA is kinda like a cheap cash-in on Layton's popularity that doesn't have any of Layton's variety or charm.

The puzzle difficulty varies a lot. All the games tend to rely a bit to frequently on sliding puzzles, but other than those I don't ever find them too frustrating.

I'd say just start with the original and see if you like it - none of the other games would be better in any way as an introduction and the stories do connect at least somewhat between the first 3 games so you may as well play them in order if you care about that at all.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They do, a bit, but the formula is still mostly "A ton of unconnected brainteasers with also a completely ridiculous plot and very charming, likeable characters." If you don't enjoy the puzzles for their own sake, you should absolutely move on, because fundamentally it's never gonna change.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hey we've still got Layton vs Phoenix Wright potentially.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I dunno man what if that means it has only 99 puzzles. :ohdear:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well you're in luck since the fifth game releases in two months!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh no! I was hoping we'd get more chronologically following Unwound Future. Now that game's ending is even sadder.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I picked it up yesterday so that I can solve puzzles during the hurricane.

I don't like the new models too much, although they look better in 3D. Some of the other new gameplay elements are pretty cool though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

Maybe I'm really dumb, but I can't seem to figure out how to train the rabbit beyond what the tutorial spoonfeeds you. I'm at around Chapter Six and four plays on my to-do list and chatting with the rabbit isn't really offering any real insights. :(

Every time you perform a play, Luke has a conversation with the rabbit that adds a few more skills to your journal. Then usually a chat adds one more. You then go to the journal and see whether the rabbit learned the skill outright or you need to train it. If it's the latter, go to the Train screen and follow the instructions from your journal.

Have you done any plays yet? You can do the first one with just the skills you start with.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Speaking of the Rabbit, I'm trying to teach him the last action - Breakin' Bunny but can't get it to work. It says "Let's try rocking him side to side". Anyone figured this one out?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

On its front legs? Like for when it does the hand walk? How do I make it do that?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Puzzle difficulty really stays about the same throughout the whole series. I don't think you could claim that any individual game is harder or easier because there's such a wide variety of puzzles and different people's brains work differently. Generally I find certain types of puzzles harder than others and there are some that I just can't solve.

But that isn't really an impediment to playing through them. If a puzzle is tough there are hint coins to use to help you through them, and if you're really stumped there are internet walkthroughs that can get you through every puzzle. I use them for sliding block puzzles because gently caress those.

So in summary no they're all about equally difficult but if you generally enjoy the story and solving puzzles then the games are worth playing. Just use the tools available to get past the ones that are too hard.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Some of the later games add a few more minigames and things like Puzzle Battles to give things a bit more variety, and there are occasional interface improvements (the fifth game in particular finally gets rid of the need to tap everywhere all the time). But if the story and characters aren't enough to keep you engaged in between puzzles, then you're not going to like the series because there isn't much more to it than that.

Curious Village does have a slightly slow start I guess, but if you've gotten to the murder and disappearances and still aren't liking the story I don't think the other games are going to do a better job of drawing you in.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You can put down any number of other rocks that don't violate the other conditions. The main part of the puzzle is figuring out what squares it's impossible to move your boat through and placing rocks there.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Payndz posted:

Miracle Mask is the first Layton game I haven't bothered to finish. It's so wrapped up in telling its story that the actual puzzles seem to have been forgotten; there were long periods of wandering around and talking to people without being offered a single puzzle to solve.

I still liked it better than Layton 4 somehow. But at any rate if 6 really is better, it's worth finishing 5 if only because its ending sets up the story of 6.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I actually liked Miracle Mask a bit more than Specter. I thought the gameplay transition to the 3DS worked out really well, and I guess I'm the rare guy who actually gave a hoot about the story. It was at least better than Specter's story. Though I guess both of them are a case of "It's not Unwound Future." That game is fantastic in every way.

Yeah exactly. Specter's story was a huge bore after Unwound Future. Miracle Mask at least got me to care a bit about the characters involved besides Layton and Luke.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lord of Laughton posted:

Is it just me or is today's daily puzzle unsolvable? Dinosaurs 15. I don't know why this is stumping me.

You need to send the yellow long neck dude all the way to the right and up to the top, looping around everything else. This is what stumped me anyway.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well the year of Daily Puzzles is finally over, and my golden Layton statue only does so much to fill the void in my heart.

Why does Azran Legacy still have to be so far away? :smith:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SereneCrimson posted:

I wish NA would get preorder bonuses for Layton games.

I really wanna know why there's suddenly this huge gap that there hasn't been since the first game. I mean the US doesn't even have an actual date announced which means it could be spring or later.

:negative:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Argue posted:

Can I pick up all the daily puzzles now that the year of puzzles is over, or did I miss them forever? Do I need to download them, or do they just need to be unlocked over the internet like in the old games?

They'll be available. It says "downloading" every time you get one but I don't know for sure that means it isn't just connecting to unlock them. I guess you'll find out when you try to get 365 puzzles at once!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

gently caress Perilous Voyage. I used a walkthrough on every single one of those and stopped even trying to solve them myself after the first few. Awfully designed puzzle in general.

I liked most of the others, probably my favorites were Alchemist's Lair and Sweet Truth.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I picked it up today! Just haven't had too much time to play it. I like how it's breaking the mold and diving right into the craziness from the get go.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The gallery behind the last Secret Door is making me all sad and nostalgic. :smith:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ah yes, Luke's mom, I agree - a top hat and angel wings are truly the height of fashion.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Irisi posted:

(Best being the "fit all the objects in the shop shelves" game from Miracle Mask)

This is the truth, that game was amazing.

I'm not sure about the fashion game yet. It's a bit annoying that you have to collect things to give the people, which means it's really not much of a puzzle so much as waiting to get the stuff you need. Like I still haven't found the kitty cat ears that the first girl says she wants. At least the other two games are pretty good.

Though nothing could ever be worse than the "decorate the hotel room" of the very first game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They have managed to do the collecting item type of minigame well though. I liked Diabolical Box's Tea brewing game. Maybe just because Layton and Luke's reactions to each variety were entertaining.

I'm enjoying this game's different, more open ended format. It's fun to just jump around all over the place. It also seems like it's just packed with content with new puzzles and areas constantly getting unlocked in old locations.

They're also really playing up the nostalgia factor with things like the Chelmeys showing up on vacation everywhere you go and the really bizarre hotel room "dream sequences".

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just finished the main game. It was pretty great. Doesn't edge out Unwound Future's perfection in my opinion, but it's a good second place.

While I mostly liked the ending section a lot, I have mixed feelings about some of the twists. I'll just put this all in spoilers so don't read unless you've finished! The Sycamore=Descole twist was one I didn't see coming, but thought was really good and satisfying. I'd honestly managed to almost completely forget about that guy. I guess I just didn't think about it too hard, since I knew something weird was up with Sycamore, I just didn't put the pieces together. The other twists I was less pleased with to varying degrees. Emmy's betrayal felt forced and out of character, although it came out alright at the end. The twist about Layton's identity was really dumb though. It felt like it was included to try and recapture the personal stakes involved in Unwound Future, but it fell completely flat. Although his relationship with Claire was also introduced in the same game it paid off, it was thoroughly integrated into the story and his motivation. Here, they just drop this major personal revelation right at the end. I did like his final scene with Bronev where he's like "nope gently caress you, I don't need your name", but I think it would've been better overall if it was just Descole who was connected to Bronev. The Bronevs still would've been incredibly lovely parents, and everything would've played out the same. I guess the difference is that it takes away Descole's personal resentment of Layton, but I still think it was weaker the way it played out.

What I DID like was everything to do with the Azran. Their test was actually really clever. I can see the logic in thinking "Well if the best humanity has to offer, the person who solved all our riddles, is willing to brutally plunge a knife into a girl's heart then yeah gently caress it burn 'em all". And then being willing to sacrifice themselves to save humanity being the way to undo it fits thematically. That was a cool sequence all round.

The thing at the very very end was also really cute. :3: I'm sad to say goodbye to these characters. I think I may replay the first three games again sometime in the somewhat near future. Still got plenty more puzzles to solve in this one first though!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I haven't been able to solve any of the pig puzzles yet without help. They're really frustrating.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

Story question: Last night I got to the end of Miracle Mask. This means the only pre-Azran Legacy Layton thing I haven't seen all of is Unwound Future, which I only got halfway through a couple years ago before losing the cart. Is there anything about Azran Legacy's story that assumes you've finished Unwound Future?

Like the other games in this trilogy, Azran Legacy continues to be a prequel. So no, it doesn't reference anything in Unwound Future.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well it does, in the sense that it ends with the beginning of Curious Village. But it doesn't actually even spoil anything about that game, let alone Unwound Future.

But yeah Unwound Future is still my favorite one of the series and is well worth finishing someday.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Layton vs Wright is the best Layton game :colbert:

Oh sure, lord it over us. :mad:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You're a few days off - it comes out on the 29th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The American Luke is the good one. Sorry to lay down truth bombs like this but it had to be done.

• Locked thread