Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Just finished this and wow, that ending. That's one of the most poiniant endings of any DS game made yet.

There were some right terrible puzzles in this though. Like the one where someone doesn't know what they're doing wile playing cards and a few others that will only accept it's own bullshitty answer instead of another one just as bullshitty that also works.

For example The puzzle where you have to use stamps 1357 to make an equation in []+[]=[]. The solution is to take the 3 and stamp itside by side with another 3 in order to do 3+5=8, but apparently it doesn't like you being clever and just using the 3 and the 1 to make 8+3=11

There quite a few of those and they're all annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Opendork posted:

Doesn't that one specify only one number per blank? Maybe I'm thinking of a different one.

The worst was which clothing item will Layton buy!? though.

In the solution 3 is used in 2 different boxes too and the Doubled up 3 to make 8 is exactly the same. It's more or less the same solution, but the game doesn't like you using it because it's not the exact asinine answer it gave.

Also, Latons clothing wasn't the worst one, the loving Stranger train station one was.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

bubblelubble posted:

I must say, while it was a thrill to see Layton exclaim "Objection!" and do Phoenix's legendary finger-pointing pose, the game overall fell kind of flat to me. I was hoping for a little more crossover (e.g. the puzzles toward the end of the final trial were a nice mixture of the two games) - it mostly felt more like the two game formats condensed down to fit into the space of a single game. Eh, don't get me wrong: it was still really enjoyable. I think I just expecting a little more.

Yeah, it doesn't help when the chapters are segmented in such a clear way too. You're in Layton mode now, then you're in Wright, now back to Layton.

The whole game feels like a giant slog so far though. I'm just on chapter 4 and it's taken me about 2 months of on/off playing just to get this far because the story is just so.... meh.

None of the characters outside of the main cast are compelling in any way, it also doesn't help that all of the Wright sections so far have progressed through insane leaps of unintuitive logic. This is exacerbated by the whole schtick being "it's magic" so every logical leap you make to progress the plot is met with the "nah, that's dumb cos it's magic, all the testimonies have now just changed 100%". That was maybe interesting for the first case, but it's now happening again and it's really loving grating. There's only so much "magical ignorance" that i can take as part of a story when every single action i do i denounced by it.

• Locked thread