Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
I love these games but goddamn the plots bother the hell out of me, especially Diabolical Box.

EDIT: I had NO idea Unwound Future was out yet. Yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

The plot and setting of diabolical box did nothing for me, but the mysterious village was great. The weirdness of all the puzzle setups kind of works better when the villagers all turn out not to be real humans at all, and the whole thing is the construct of an old eccentric. Poisonous gas illusions were not nearly as interesting to me somehow.

Need to get going on the new one now, always a treat :)

The thing that bothered me about Diabolical Box's plot was that they ALL had the same illusion? The exact same thing? Every little detail? Also the box being made of macguffinite. But I agree Curious Village's plot was much better. The only thing I didn't like about it was how Layton jumped to insane conclusions like "Everyone is a robot!" based on a few small gears and people getting tired, then kidnapped, and re-appearing feeling much better.

EDIT: Oh! I just remembered a few Layton references in Nelson Tethers! Nelson Tethers should be an honorary Layton game in this thread.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 15, 2010

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

foastwab posted:

People really didn't like Diabolical Box that much? I thought it was fantastic, though looking back, I really hated mixing the teas.

Don't get me wrong, I liked it a lot more than the first one, I just expected the plot to make more sense.

But going into Unwound Future, I now KNOW Layton plots are completely ridiculous. Sort of like a "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." deal.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Orchids! posted:

What is that taste? Old shoe?

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Stelas posted:

Maybe it was just me, but 80% or so of the mid-game puzzles seemed to involve rotating your DS to read a 6 as a 9.

loving matchstick puzzle:

I + XI = X? Oh I got this you just move the I to the other side of the X and ITS WRONG? HOW THE gently caress IS IT WRONG gently caress YOU LAYTON I KNOW MORE ABOUT MATH THAN- are you loving kidding me

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

DoublePLayer posted:

This puzzle nearly made me scream in my school's library. It's really bad.

I was so goddamn annoyed I had to use hint coins on that. I ended up resetting and getting the full amount for the puzzle because gently caress you layton that's a dick move.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

pokecapn posted:

I'm glad we got the goofy rope bouncing puzzles then, because walking around is the second most annoying part of these games. The most being randomly tapping for a minute on each screen to find hint coins and secret puzzles.

I'm at the point, having played the first two games, where I kinda understand the pattern for where hint coins are going to be. I can tap four locations on the screen and get three hint coins.

The walking is killing Unwound Future for me. My girlfriend beat the game and now shes nagging me to finish it.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

My girlfriend made me stop playing before I got to the Thames Arms for the second time, around Chapter 10 I think. She said something huge was there and I'd never be able to sleep if I saw it.

So if Don Paolo was Dr. Schrader and the dean... whos future Luke?!

I am beginning to suspect that we have not traveled forward in time.

Also I loved Don Paolo's origin story.

EDIT: I was also hoping that Don Paolo would solve some puzzles.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

I beat it the other day, it was just as ridiculous as the first two.

A giant underground cavern that no one has noticed for centuries? How the gently caress did they light the thing anyway? I thought it was going to wind up being St. Mystere again because of Flora's comment about the pagoda.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

So this is a prequel?

(Lost Future ending)
And not the Luke and Layton in America thats hinted at in the end of Lost Future with the last puzzle?

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Yeah its totally fine. Diabolical Box is pretty hilarious in how ridiculous the mystery is, but it does introduce a character who is part of Unwound Future's plot.

EDIT: Thats not to say Unwound Future isn't absolutly ridiculous either. They both have their share of "WHAT?!!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Haven't gotten to play much yet but I like the new investigation mode, dislike the models. They're creepy and they don't look at each other when they talk.

• Locked thread