Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

"Both games"

There's a third one out now, you know.

I'm really liking The Unwound Future so far. These games are addicting as hell.

She probably meant she's just played the first two, since the third one has been out two or three days only. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

guppy posted:

An Unwound Future question.

I was stuck on Puzzle No. 40, which is required to progress (it's the one on the door while Future Luke is leading you back to the Midland Road Clock Shop by an alternate route). I've bought all the hints, including the super hint, and played around with it. I don't think I understand what it's asking me to do. It seems like they want things to equal each other that can't possibly equal each other, and I'm not sure if the arrows in the middle row are supposed to indicate some kind of relationship.

I eventually gave up and looked up the answer but it doesn't make any sense to me. How was this supposed to work?

EDIT: Never mind, right after I posted this I figured it out. It makes sense now but the way they set it up seemed very unclear to me.

Yeah, that one was very, very unclear. I didn't know if it wanted the two sides of two things to equal each other in sum, product, both, or if it was one big long equation or what.

Now, what can really go gently caress itself is the third parrot puzzle - the one with the cake.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

al-azad posted:

one of those cheap toys where you have to figure out how to separate the three rings or piece wooden boxes into each other.

Realtalk: gently caress those toys,

There is one that is like, two horseshoes connected at each tip by a chain (so two chains total), and a ring going around the chains. You have to get the ring off.

gently caress it.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I still really prefer "100% steampunk clock puzzles" as a thread title. :colbert:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

paisleyfox posted:

I. HATE. THIS. PUZZLE. I tried, I really did, and after I covered my memo pad with a million multicolored lines (love that upgrade, btw), I just started guessing because fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

Which one is this? I'm thinking it's either the one about the tunnels where you have to determine which one you have to go over-ground on or the checkerboard path one where you have to determine how many different ways you can get to the end by stepping on 4 black squares and 3 white squares

Overall, the worst puzzle I've found so far is the one where you have to determine which article of clothing Layton wants to buy.

Capsaicin fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 16, 2010

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

paisleyfox posted:

Oh, it's totally the checkerboard one. The first one wasn't so bad except it was pretty misleading. The tunnels get pretty confusing and when you draw over them to trace, you lose the over under. :argh:

Ooh, I have not reached that one yet. I look forward to it...maybe. Right now I'm just starting Chapter 9: The Master of the Towering Pagoda. I'm very excited.

You can actually get to that one now, I think.

Go back to the University in the Present and talk to the girl that hates Luke for some reason.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Seriously though, gently caress the parrot minigames.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

precision posted:

I got it, but for a different reason than the game.
I've counted 4 or so puzzles so far which have "alternate answers" due to wording issues or ways of interpreting the art. I don't remember that being true in the first two games.

Yeah, the one about the numbered stamps where you have to do __ + __ + ___ = ___ is the one that I had a goddamned PERFECT answer straight off the bat and it wouldn't work.

This puzzle, you have 5 stamps, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. You have to make that equation work, but each answer could only be a one digit number. You also have to use the least number of stamps possible. My answer was to turn the five upside down so it's a two, and do 2 + 3 + 3 =. Then you'd use the three, but turn it upside down and stamp again to make an 8. The actual answer is to do 3 + 3 + 3 and turn the 6 upside down.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Spoiler for every single puzzle in the game:

6 upside down is a 9.

Seriously, if there are numbers in the puzzle, that's probably how you find the answer.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Endgame: :cry: oh god, everything is just going to hell here at the end. Layton loses the love of his life, Luke moves away, and everything ends in the most depressing manner possible

At least we got to see the origins of Don Paolo.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

The Merkinman posted:

The entire series so far: Professor Layton and the not real village/town/city

This is pretty spot-on, actually.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I swear I felt the same loving way on that goddamned puzzle.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Don Paolo is to Professor Layton as Boris and Natasha is to Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

eating only apples posted:

Man, I'm getting to the end of Curious Village and the puzzles are rock hard now :( I hate the Get the Ball Out puzzles and 4 took me ages, then they throw a maths puzzle at me? I can't handle maths, my brain just shuts down. I'm gonna have to turn the volume off and sit in silence until I work it out. :(

basically I'm pretty dumb. I heard Unwound Future has a ton of math puzzles? True?

It's got some math problems, but mostly clock puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
This game has had two huge "gently caress off" puzzles in it. And I'm only on Chapter fourish (Just found the black market....One of the puzzles was the one with the map and the statues and the restaurants and you have to determine which statue to meet at, and the other was the one where you had to find out the greatest angle on a clock where the times have 3 of the same digits in a row). Both of those puzzles made me almost want to quit the game. :(

• Locked thread