Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I had to wait in line behind 30 people buying Halo yesterday, but it was so worth it. So far, Unwound Future is blowing Diabolical Box out of the water; I'm 5 hours and maybe 40? puzzles in, which implies it's quite a bit longer. The plot is actually getting really intriguing, especially... a certain aspect of it that fills in backstory.
I haven't actually gotten the Parrot yet, but the other two minigames are a major improvement over Box's (god I would play an entire spinoff based on Picture Book Time, and the car is basically Chu Chu Rocket only far more complex).
On the whole, if Village were a 9 and Box a 7, Future is a 10. IIRC the consensus among those who imported or are Japanese is that Box is objectively the weakest, so I hope nobody gets put off by it.
One puzzle in Future so far did strike me as obnoxious: it literally requires you to "brute force" it by counting "how many ways can this happen". I prefer the logic/trick puzzles.
Also them graphics sure did get prettier, and lots more voice and animation this time.
The only thing I slightly dislike is obsessively worrying I'll miss a puzzle that gives a piece for a minigame.
TLDR: If you're new, get Village then this, then Box for completeness' sake if you really want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Opendork posted:

None of these games ever allow you to miss anything. Any puzzle that can no longer be accessed is put in a room, where you can get any minigame reward that it would have normally given you. Even after you beat the game, you can reload and wander around for the puzzles and such you don't have.

It actually almost feels like Unwound Future is shorter, due to leaning more towards riddles than Box. On the other hand, less time spent doing sliding puzzles and seven-loving-disk Hanoi is fine by me. I was also pleased that the plot is still completely insane.

Yeah, I know you can't "actually" miss anything, what I meant was more "missing the chance to get it asap".
The worst puzzles in Box for me were the more advanced peg-jumping ones. It's really lame that those type puzzles don't allow you to "back up" your moves instead of having to restart the entire goddamn process.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was just playing and the thought of doing a Layton game in the Discworld setting would be so good. Now I can't stop wishing it existed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The first 4 parrot games are easy, but I have access to the second set of 4 and all of them seem literally impossible, as in it seems like I've tried every imaginable combination of ropes and am wondering what the hell I'm missing. Hopefully eventually I'll get it, I haven't had to go to the Internet for anything yet. There seem to be much fewer bullshit box sliding type puzzles.
Do the Japanese consider "logic" hard as a rule or what? So far the puzzles with the highest picarats have been the (to me) super-easy "a is not b, c is next to d" ones.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DiscoJ posted:

Who got that photograph of people playing cards one right without guessing or using hints?

It's about puzzle 27 I think.

I just guessed in the end (prior to using any hints) and I really can't imagine ever working it out legitimately.

I got it, but for a different reason than the game.
I've counted 4 or so puzzles so far which have "alternate answers" due to wording issues or ways of interpreting the art. I don't remember that being true in the first two games.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Specter may not have the best story but I'd say the puzzles and minigames are the second best of the first 5 games (Unwound Future being the best).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Both Lukes sound fine and who cares I've been wanting this game foreeeeeeever.

edit: gently caress that dungeon in Miracle Mask, holy poo poo

• Locked thread