Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
Their commitment to not selling what they're kickstarting after the fact still makes no sense to me. Everything is digital! If they can't pay you for it they will easy steal it instead! Take people's money gah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Kaboobi posted:

But I wanted a cover song :smith:

I got a cover song :unsmith:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Which one?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I put in a request for one, but it's a duet and wouldn't really work NOT as a duet.
I talked to them at a recent show and they said they'd see if they could wrangle someone in to do it, but if they can't I have other possibilities.
So...we'll see!

(it's not under pressure)

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Dick made Easy Lover work by himself. I threw in for the first two Kickstarters but gotta sit this one out cause moving, glad plenty of other crazies are on board for it though. Also am with the people rolling their eyes at no after the fact sales for this, I'd throw money at it when I'm able but now is not a good time!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The new album got announced a couple of days ago when I wasn't looking. It's called Bitch, Don't Let Me Die! and the track list looks a little something like this...

Drone Strikes
Two Dollar Two
Kids Are Evil
Roulette
A Variation Of Elaine
Slow Motion Man
Big Red Arthur
Dime, Dime, Penny, Dime
If U R Who U Say U R
When Cowboys File For Divorce
Take Another Shape
Electric Six

quote:

Mortality. It’s the primary reason we don’t live forever. If not for our mortality, the number of years each of us would have to roam this earth would be as infinite as the sands of time running through the earth itself. When extraterrestrials eventually make first contact with us within the next twenty years, the first glaringly obvious thing they will notice…is that we die. They will come to our planet with sinister intentions and they will immediately have the upper hand because we die…and they don’t. It’s a simple as that. And it’s all because of our mortality.

While aliens (and the government!!!!!) will always be there to kill us, we have for generations used our cold dead hands to clutch onto whatever silver lining we could sew into the dark cloud of our everlasting mortality. Specifically, we tell ourselves that we can live forever, not in corporeal form, but through our creations of art…and our expressions of love.

Thusly, art and love are more important than ever, because they are now the conduits that preserve our life forces. If you don’t create art and you don’t love nobody…well then, you will be forgotten, rather quickly. No one wants to be forgotten rather quickly. No one more so…than Electric Six.

Electric Six understands all this stuff as it prepares to unveil its eleventh studio album Bitch, Don’t Let Me Die!, which will be released on October 6 on Metropolis Records. The album is steeped in themes of mortality, death, discorporation and discoloration…all while it tries to convince you it is actually a work of art, a labour of love.

From the pounding, driving opener, “Drone Strikes”, through the 1970s guitar anthem “Two Dollar Two”, Bitch, Don’t Let Me Die! reveals that Electric Six knows that it is going to die, but will not go out quietly. From there, the album moves through the pop goodness of “Kids Are Evil” and “A Variation of Elaine”, the prog-rock showmanship of “Slow Motion Man”, and even a tribute to Elvis Presley in his more rotund years with “Dime Dime Penny Dime”.

“Big Red Arthur” is the anchor track of the album, as it emits a rock-opera bombast that is reminiscent of Radiohead sodomizing David Bowie in the center of his mind. It, like most of the songs on this record, is about death…but it’s kind of funny because it’s only about the death of a fake, out-of-shape drunk Santa Claus who is too loving stupid to make it down the chimney correctly. In this case, we just end up laughing at death. And that’s uplifting.

To summarize, mortality is everywhere, and this fall, thanks to their new record Bitch, Don’t Let Me Die!, Electric Six will be everywhere too. Everybody gonna die someday, but with Electric Six’s new album, you no longer have to worry about any of it. Bitch, Don’t Let Me Die is Electric Six’s brand new record for 2015 and it is available on Metropolis Records on Oct. 6. You can come see Electric Six play in your town on the I Wanna Lick The Screen tour, starting in their home state of Michigan on Sept. 25.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Here you go
http://youtu.be/-xU8thWcXo0

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
Nice one. You're doing the lord's work, Kaboobi.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Bless your heart.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

The new album is out there. I'm struggling to find anything to like in this one.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New album is on Spotify

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

The new album is out there. I'm struggling to find anything to like in this one.

Quite the opposite for me - finding a lot more here that I like since, like, Heartbeats.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Same here.
It pains me to say this but it's definitely one of the worst albums, if not the worst. At least some other albums had at least one song that stood out to me.

EDIT: It's not bad, it's just...mediocre, IMO.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I feel like there are a lot of tracks here that I enjoy while I'm listening to them but they utterly fail to stick in my memory in any fashion.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Jack Trades posted:

It's not bad, it's just...mediocre, IMO.

Yeah, nothing sticks out. With every other E6 album there are at least a few great tracks, but here it just feels so samey. And good god do they need to find a better producer!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

PantsOptional posted:

I feel like there are a lot of tracks here that I enjoy while I'm listening to them but they utterly fail to stick in my memory in any fashion.

Exactly. The E6 style is there but it's all way too bland.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I feel like every E6 album has that problem on a first listen to, for me at least. Human Zoo was the first one in awhile where I liked the first 3 songs immediately. I am still discovering appreciation for songs on older albums, I just really started appreciating Heartbeats recently. I am hoping this new album will be the same, I am halfway through my first listen, I really liked Variation of Elaine so far.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
The only song standing out to me so far is Two Dollar Two for the Aerosmith-esque parts. Otherwise, it's a bit hit and miss with emphasis on the miss. Not overly sold on the production either but I may just be hearing things.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

M1TCH3LL posted:

The only song standing out to me so far is Two Dollar Two for the Aerosmith-esque parts. Otherwise, it's a bit hit and miss with emphasis on the miss. Not overly sold on the production either but I may just be hearing things.

You're definitely not hearing things. The whole album is very muffled for some reason and there's something with the audio balance that makes it harder to discern the lyrics. At least on Spotify.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.

Jack Trades posted:

You're definitely not hearing things. The whole album is very muffled for some reason and there's something with the audio balance that makes it harder to discern the lyrics. At least on Spotify.

I noticed the same thing after I bought the album on Google play today.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I really like the album but I agree that it's not a very memorable one. Slow Motion Man is really ace though.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I wonder if they're not just getting burnt out from the constant touring and album releases. The last 2 year gap they had was between Heartbeats and Mustang, and that had Absolute Pleasure in it. Their only 2-year gap before that was Fire/Senor Smoke. Everything else has been a release a year, which is impressive but starting to look unsustainable.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I really like how it's starting to look unsustainable after almost 10 years. I agree though, I wouldn't mind waiting an extra year if it meant getting another Kill.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Haifisch posted:

I wonder if they're not just getting burnt out from the constant touring and album releases. The last 2 year gap they had was between Heartbeats and Mustang, and that had Absolute Pleasure in it. Their only 2-year gap before that was Fire/Senor Smoke. Everything else has been a release a year, which is impressive but starting to look unsustainable.

Actually, Senor Smoke came out the year after Fire ...in the UK and Australia. :They were on Warner UK at the time, the use branch passed on Senor so they were stuck looking for a deal for a bit until they hooked up with Metropolis. The US got two E6 albums that year with SS getting its domestic issue finally and then Switzerland later that same year. :eng101:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Woah, the liner notes actually have the lyrics this time. :eyepop:

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
I decided to go back, on a whim, to Spotify to listen to some Electric Six albums. Am I an apologist grasping onto anything to keep E6 relevant in my heart, or has Heartbeats and Brainwaves aged quite well considering the so-so reaction it got when it was released?

Hello! I See You is on par with the best stuff they've ever done and Bleed For The Artist, Gridlock! and Interchangable Knife were interesting enough. The latter, in particular, is still a weird song to associate with them and yet it is perfectly listenable. I don't have this feeling so much with Zodiac: even though the songs themselves are probably better, I could barely remember two songs off the top of my head from that album. Heartbeats though, for me, feels like the last really decent album they've made, tipped over the edge by Hello!, which to me is like Escape From Ohio on KILL in terms of a modern classic E6 staple.

Anyway, long story short: Heartbeats, better than I remember it being.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

It is a quite good album with many really good songs. Free Samples, Bleed for the Artist, We Use the Same Products, Interchangeable Knife. The list goes on.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
Yeah I'm a big fan of Heartbeats, up there with I will Exterminate.. for me

Edit: Psychic Visions might well be my favourite E6 song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSae0v-VHSk

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
"Hello! I See You" is probably my favorite from the record, though I would be lying if I didn't mention it really grew on me after hearing the live version

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I like Heartbeats way more than Mustang and Kill, I think it has a bunch of solid tracks on it.

Pizza Partisan
Sep 22, 2003
On the topic of Heartbeats, am I the only person who really loves Food Dog?

It doesn't sound like most other E6 songs but still has what I feel are some of the most Dick Valentine lyrics he's ever written.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Most of Dick Valentine's songs about having sex with obese women are pretty great IMO

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Commissar Budgie posted:

"Hello! I See You" is probably my favorite from the record, though I would be lying if I didn't mention it really grew on me after hearing the live version

"Hello! I See You" is loving great. I did a lyrics analysis "presentation"...thing in college when that album came out (among a couple of other of their songs), cause I always loved how E6 mostly writes their lyrics to be silly on the surface but when you actually dissect them, they're completely coherent and thematic.

I kind of wish I could've done "Alone with Your Body" as well but it wasn't out yet.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
I'm going to be the weird one and say I really didn't like any of Heartbeats save We Use the Same products, I definitely consider it their weakest aside from Maaaaaaybe Human Zoo. Zodiac, on the other hand...

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I have pretty much the same experience with every E6 album, past like Switzerland: at first I can't really get into it except maybe one or two tracks jump out at me. After a few listens those tracks usually solidify to me as staples, then occasionally I rediscover a track later on. On Human Zoo the first 3 immediately jumped out to me as being probably the best sequence in awhile, then it kind of gets dull until I Need a Restaurant which is my favorite track on the album. On Bitch, Don't Let Me Die! I'm currently really digging Two Dollar Two, Roulette!, A Variation of Elaine and When Cowboys File For Divorce, but there are even others that are starting to grow on me.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

That seems to be the process most fans seem to go through, at first the albums seems underwhelming except for a couple of song but after a few listens it really grows on you.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
After Hours is a great song and I have no desire to hear anything else by them at all.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

It's a fantastic song and you should :getin:

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Oh hey the Roulette Stars digital downloads are out and it includes my dumb cover (which won't be in the film itself cause of legal things)

https://t.co/Rgh5hqhz9R

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Kaboobi posted:

Oh hey the Roulette Stars digital downloads are out and it includes my dumb cover (which won't be in the film itself cause of legal things)

https://t.co/Rgh5hqhz9R

Oh man this is a great cover

• Locked thread