Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electric Crayon
Jul 20, 2004

Oh, it's you!
After Hours and Love Song For Myself are divine. I just wish they'd come to Savannah on their tour. I don't want to drive four hours round trip to Jacksonville :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Electric Crayon posted:

After Hours and Love Song For Myself are divine. I just wish they'd come to Savannah on their tour. I don't want to drive four hours round trip to Jacksonville :qq:
But you're going to cause they are the best live band on the planet right now. Seriously, I drove more than that to see them in Boston when Senor Smoke was out in the UK & Australia but not here. Got home at 3 or 4 a.m. and went to class half awake the next morning then worked that night with no regrets. :bubblewoop:

Carti
Nov 15, 2005

Blackholes! Bleep! Blorp!
Anyone here agree that Zodiac is up there with Fire and Senor Smoke?

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
The end of "Tables and Chairs" forced a smile onto my face that made my day. This album is gold.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
I'm obsessed with Talking Turkey. The line "Happy Thanksgiving, baby" keeps rolling in my head and has done all week. One of the best album finale's they've ever done.

etherealshaq
Mar 6, 2010

COME DOWN AND EAT CHICKEN WITH ME, BEAUTIFUL. IT'S SOOOOOOOOOO DARK
How can you not love every E6 album? They're all variations on a theme and I think one is as good as all the others. Fire always struck me, actually, as a little weaker and less creative than the others. Just cock-rock (with great lyrics, of course).

Haven't listened to the new one enough to really judge yet, but I've loved I Shall Exterminate, Flashy and Kill all equally. "Dirty Ball" and "I Belong in a Factory" don't get enough love. "Thank God my ball will never hate you" sends me into a freakish paroxysm of giggles every time.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Question for anyone that's seen them live recently. Have they been playing anything off Zodiac at their recent shows? I'd kill to see them to the Rubberband Man cover live next week in Nashville (or failing that, have Dick put on the mustache and suspenders and pull out Radio Ga Ga).

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Question for anyone that's seen them live recently. Have they been playing anything off Zodiac at their recent shows? I'd kill to see them to the Rubberband Man cover live next week in Nashville (or failing that, have Dick put on the mustache and suspenders and pull out Radio Ga Ga).

I've been to three or four shows now and my experience has been that they typically play the hits and two to three songs from their newest album.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

RedneckwithGuns posted:

They played It Ain't Punk Rock, Jam it in the Hole, and Rubberband Man at the show in Boston a couple weeks ago. Maybe another one, I forget I was drunk and also being moshed to death (in a good way).

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
why the gently caress do people mosh to Electric Six? I mostly go to metal shows so moshing itself isn't a problem for me, but during Eletric Six its annoying as hell.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I remember it being more like dancing that occasionally bumped into each other than moshing.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

dxt posted:

why the gently caress do people mosh to Electric Six? I mostly go to metal shows so moshing itself isn't a problem for me, but during Eletric Six its annoying as hell.

There are a noticeably large amount of goony sperg types that go to Electric Six. I don't know why, maybe it's because they got popular on the internet first or something. It's like the Electric Six show is the only reason they've ever come out of their mom's basement and they have no idea how to behave at a social function like a show. One neckbeard's idea of dancing was jumping up and down in the air, doing something with his knees so he'd stomp upon landing. It was really funny at first, but it got old. There's at least one guy like that at every E6 show, without fail. I go to other bands' shows pretty often and I've never seen this happen anywhere else.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

emoltra posted:

There are a noticeably large amount of goony sperg types that go to Electric Six. I don't know why, maybe it's because they got popular on the internet first or something. It's like the Electric Six show is the only reason they've ever come out of their mom's basement and they have no idea how to behave at a social function like a show. One neckbeard's idea of dancing was jumping up and down in the air, doing something with his knees so he'd stomp upon landing. It was really funny at first, but it got old. There's at least one guy like that at every E6 show, without fail. I go to other bands' shows pretty often and I've never seen this happen anywhere else.

The last couple times they've played at the Middle East in Cambridge there has been like 5 super spergin douches who don't realize what they're doing is awful as they hump someone in the back and start kicking people and throw beer everywhere. Once some tiny 5 foot tall chick got tired of one of them and just turned around and started punching him in the face after telling him to cut it out multiple times.

Comparatively, the last few shows they've played on a boat have had awesome crowds without massive douches. Just kinda a uniform movement wave through the crowd. I even made beer runs in the middle of the set and the crowd even parted so I could deliver them to my friends near the front. Good times.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

They cancelled the Nashville show. :cry:

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I love this album as much as I love all the others. There are a small handful of songs I skip when listening to the lot (Sexy Trash nooo) but they haven't released a single album without at least three or four amazing songs on, and that just doesn't happen with any other band.

Table and Chairs is possibly my favourite from Zodiac, but drat it's hard to choose.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I love every Electric Six album, even Flashy has some really good stuff on it.

I went to see them play this summer. The nearby show sold out so my friends and I drove six hours to see them at a tiny Mexican themed bar. It was so packed in there that I spent the whole concert dancing on a table with a bunch of girls, and afterwards the entire floor was covered with a layer of broken glass. Everyone was singing along and going nuts, and Dick Valentine had to throw a couple people off the stage.

Go see them live. You will not regret it.

I don't think Zodiac is as good as Kill (which was awesome, especially after Flashy), but it's pretty good. For some reason it takes me a while to figure out if I like each E6 album.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Yes, they kick rear end live. At their Madison show earlier this year, there was probably the first Duany Duany reference made since he actually went to the Final Four.

Additionally, there was a couple months where I personally made Gay Bar a top 3 played song at my bar's jukebox.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yay, gonna see them for the 2nd time ever, in Amsterdam in december. E6 is such an awesome band, and dick valentine is perhaps the most awesome dude ever.

Saw them a year and a half ago or something, and it was an awesome show. I fondly remember him wearing 2 capes and poo poo.

The new album is OK I guess. I like their more recent piano-driven songs like Flashy Man(from Flashy), and After Hours.

e: and this is THE BEST PERFORMANCE of a modern rock song in the history of man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB0_EKS5H2s

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 14, 2010

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Samopsa posted:

e: and this is THE BEST PERFORMANCE of a modern rock song in the history of man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB0_EKS5H2s

My god, that is terrifying. I love it.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I thought Flashy was pretty bad and I probably haven't heard half the song on kill since I got it and thy all kind of blended together for me because it was honestly terrible to me. I think Señor Smoke was probably their best followed by Exterminate.

Is Zodiac for me?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Oh my god I'm addicted to Señor Smoke, I forgot how great that CD was.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Samopsa posted:

Yay, gonna see them for the 2nd time ever, in Amsterdam in december.

:respek:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

/\/\/\/\/\/\
yay for the melkweg! :cheers: E6 really seemed to enjoy themselves last year in Eindhoven.

Oh poo poo Canada posted:

I thought Flashy was pretty bad and I probably haven't heard half the song on kill since I got it and thy all kind of blended together for me because it was honestly terrible to me. I think Señor Smoke was probably their best followed by Exterminate.

Is Zodiac for me?

Just listen to it one or two times and you'll know. Highlights for me are Love Song For Myself, After Hours and Countdown to the Countdown.

Cattywampus
Oct 14, 2008

RedneckwithGuns posted:

They cancelled the Nashville show. :cry:

Same with Seattle, I was actually hoping I could finally see them live. I'm liking Zodiac a lot, Clusterfuck! and Jam it in Hole are amazing. I didn't even know they released a new album until I saw this thread.

edit: looks like they're rescheduling the shows for March 2011, poo poo a family emergency was the reason for cancellation. Hopefully everything is cool with those guys.

Cattywampus fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 23, 2010

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

I saw them years ago in Detroit, after Flashy, and it might just be the best live show I've been to, ranking up there with Gogol Bordello where Hutz hopped on a security guard's back and rode him around stage, or Iggy Pop, where he called for everyone in the front rows to just jump on the stage. But Dick Valentine manages to put on an incredible show without any major gimmick. Even when dealing with jackasses in the audience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBUeN5g3IvQ

I mean, what better way to deal with a heckler than to dismantle his douchiness and spin it into a positive message? All at some little dive in Ohio with what looks like less than 50 people in the crowd.

I'd love to see them again but will have to wait at least until their next tour when I'll be back in the US. Until then I really love Kill and Zodiac. Anybody else fans of Body Shot, American Cheese, or Doom and Gloom?

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
no wonder they hate ohio so much

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

dxt posted:

no wonder they hate ohio so much

It's a Michigan thing, most people here latch onto the only nearby state that can be considered worse, and for someone driving South, the lovely speed limits in Ohio (like 55 on I-75) and the fact that it seems exactly the same as Michigan from said highway makes people hate it :shobon:

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.

Carti posted:

Definitely in my diary to see these guys play Brighton in December after an awesome show last year in Hastings. The new album sounds promising.

Wait, you were at the Crypt last year? I loved that despite being totally munted Dick threw out a great performance. The Brighton gig was much better than last year's as well. It's a shame Jam It In The Hole doesn't really translate well live, Clusterfuck! more than made up for it though.

Onto Zodiac, personally I'm over the moon with it, barring Punk Rock every song gets me going and it's got a great energetic feel through it. Kill and Zodiac have marked a big upturn from the 'decent, but nothing special' feel of Swizerland and Exterminate. I honestly can't believe a band can be so prolific and still strike gold most of the time.

Aggro Craig posted:

I mean, what better way to deal with a heckler than to dismantle his douchiness and spin it into a positive message? All at some little dive in Ohio with what looks like less than 50 people in the crowd.

Damnit man, I was going to post that link. I mean, he equates himself with Jesus Christ and assures a moron he will gently caress him up in a cage match before triumphantly finishing off one of their best songs.
Wonderful.

The Faustus
Sep 8, 2008

it's u
I just got into these guys a few months ago so... more for me without the wait! sweet!

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
From http://www.electricsix.com/

quote:

We are very happy to announce that Dick Valentine (in conjunction with Will Bates of Fall On Your Sword, who also happens to be Dick's partner in Evil Cowards) has written original material, 5 songs in all, which feature as the soundtrack to a brand new original webseries produced by Machinima.com. The series is entitled "Bite Me" (though the E6 song of that name does not feature) and the synopsis is as follows:

"Three gamers find themselves in the midst of a real life zombie outbreak. Relying only on the knowledge and skills they have accrued over years of gaming, these guys will have to drop the controller and pick up anything that they can use as a weapon. If they can survive, these unlikely heroes may just be humanity's best hope of surviving the undead uprising.

This group of unlikely heroes is made up of Jeff, Mike and Greg who by day are a waiter, cubicle jockey and street sign spinner respectively. They’re life long friends who are coming to a fork in the road. Embrace adulthood and turn off the video games or say screw it and play on. As luck would have it, those video games are about to save their lives and quite possible the world as a whole.

It’s now up to these video game experts, to defend the world against the zombie apocalypse, by any means possible."
Episode One:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuJmEfO2yNI

You can hear a bit of one of the songs at 2:57. Hopefully, they make the whole song available somewhere.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

I just found this band out back in March while listening to my iPod on shuffle in my car. Rubber Rocket came on and I'm just questioning "what in the world is this"? I look at my iPod, find out the artist, listen to all of their albums and slowly become more and more obsessed with them and I'm still obsessed with them til this day. I've already seen them once in concert and I want to see them again. They are my absolute favorite band to this date and I listen to A LOT of music. I was pretty impressed with Zodiac and I thought it was a lot better than KILL (my least favorite album).

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

M1TCH3LL posted:

Saying that, they're already working on their NEXT album for 2011, apparently called "Man vs. Internet." So who knows.

According to when they usually put out their albums...only four more months.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
They're album-pumping machines. What I don't understand is how they keep getting better.
Nice of them to jump across the pond every year to tour as well.

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
"Last year we played at a little place called the Gaelic club, this year we're at the Metro, next year? OPERA HOUSE!"
- Dick Valentine in Sydney 2005.

Lying bastard.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Shunkymonky posted:

"Last year we played at a little place called the Gaelic club, this year we're at the Metro, next year? OPERA HOUSE!"
- Dick Valentine in Sydney 2005.

Lying bastard.
I still kick myself when I think that I could have gone to see them at the Gaelic club - even if it is a rubbish venue they are a good enough (great enough!) band to overcome such an obstacle

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

I love the stuff Dick spouts when he's on stage. "We're a political band that's from...Saudi Arabia."

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
I know this thread's a bit out of date, it's probably time to make a new one, but here's some news regarding the next album which nobody in the 11 known dimensions (which incidentally all contain Electric Six) could have ever predicted would be released in the latter quarter of the year:

quote:

BROOKLYN, NY, June 22 -- The following can be attributed to Dick Valentine:

Hello. Hope your summer is hot and humid. I, like you, am waiting for our eighth album entitled 'Heartbeats and Brainwaves' to come out this October so we can all sing along together. However, this is still the summer and October is a season away.

To help the summer go faster, I like to get high and play the drums. Lucky for me, many years ago I was once in a band that let me do just that. Lucky for me, that band is reuniting for one night only in Brooklyn, NY on Thursday, June 30 at the new Freddy's Bar on 5th Ave. in south Park Slope. Check it nice: http://www.freddysbar.com .

The name of this band is Wytchhyker and I am a proud member of the original lineup of this, the world's only stoner pop band that ever existed. I am a trainwreck of a drummer, but I like to get high with my good friends. If you have a little extra time and you live in NYC, come and see the reunion of the legendary Wytchhyker at Freddy's.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

gently caress yes. Seeing them in November again, in Amsterdam. this poo poo is going to own balls.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

"Hello. Hope your summer is hot and humid. I, like you, am waiting for our eighth album entitled 'Heartbeats and Brainwaves' to come out this October so we can all sing along together. However, this is still the summer and October is a season away."

Awww...Man Vs Internet is such a better name!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizza Partisan
Sep 22, 2003

PeppermintEgo posted:

"Hello. Hope your summer is hot and humid. I, like you, am waiting for our eighth album entitled 'Heartbeats and Brainwaves' to come out this October so we can all sing along together. However, this is still the summer and October is a season away."

Awww...Man Vs Internet is such a better name!

I don't think Dick's ever used the real name for an album until about September. There's still time for it to change back.

• Locked thread