Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Does anyone in this thread go to the Black Cat (a club in DC)? They play there every October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Grim posted:

I still kick myself when I think that I could have gone to see them at the Gaelic club - even if it is a rubbish venue they are a good enough (great enough!) band to overcome such an obstacle

I feel pretty lucky I saw both these shows (both times out of my loving mind on Sangria, oh god) and had a great time.

the Chart regarding E6 rings pretty true for me. Each album after Fire has less and less tracks that I enjoy until the last one just had nothing :(

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

5 new songs: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Electric-6/154062438761

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Hmm...it has more of an electronic feel than KILL or Zodiac. I'm a huge fan of Gridlock and Heatbeats & Brainwaves but the other three songs are just so/so. They're not bad or anything I just think Electric Six does better with a their rockish songs more than their electronic-feeling songs. Considering these five songs, I defiantly don't think this will be my favorite album but I don't think it will be my least favorite (which is KILL) either.

Anyway, thanks for posting this. It totally made my day!

CzarStark
Dec 23, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I just found this thread, and on the perfect day. Thanks for the heads-up on the new tracks!

PeppermintEgo posted:

Does anyone in this thread go to the Black Cat (a club in DC)? They play there every October.

I will be going now that I know this, definitely.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

They play there in October every single year. They're pretty hilarious live. Hilarious as in...Dick tells a lot of jokes and basically does stand-up along with performing.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
Gridlock is fantastic. Reminds me, I have to get my tickets for their Birmingham, UK show later in the year. Gonna take a friend this time, and introduce them that way.

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
I love these new tracks. I love electric six. I love love.

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
"It Gets Hot" is the best 90s track I've heard in literally just over a decade.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Shunkymonky posted:

"It Gets Hot" is the best 90s track I've heard in literally just over a decade.

It's a good song but I'm not really a fan of the robotized girl's voice...or whatever it is.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

I'm really digging "Psychic Visions" and "It Gets Hot". It needs to be October already.

I still can't believe these guys are on pace to release 10 albums in 10 years, and they'll be touring again in just a month and a half. Anyone in the Detroit area should definitely see them at the DIY festival in Ferndale; free show and a few other good bands there as well.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

Wasn't he supposed to be releasing another Evil Cowards album this year? Covered In Gas was really good so I'm more excited for more of that than E6 right now.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Aggro Craig posted:

I'm really digging "Psychic Visions" and "It Gets Hot". It needs to be October already.

I still can't believe these guys are on pace to release 10 albums in 10 years, and they'll be touring again in just a month and a half. Anyone in the Detroit area should definitely see them at the DIY festival in Ferndale; free show and a few other good bands there as well.

Actually, their first album (Fire) was released in 2003 and it's been eight years since then. Heartbeats & Brainwaves will be their ninth album so it'll be more like ten albums in nine years.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

In the meantime, here's a new Dick Valentine song for Machinima.com, called "Zombie, Zombie, Skeleton."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSgUySiMybo

Prog Rug
Feb 23, 2011

You can also now pre-order the new album on itunes

vvvv
makes sense, but it seems they aren't coming to Canada this tour so nothing I can't really do anything but buy it from a 3rd party source

Prog Rug fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 20, 2011

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
I prefer to get the new music at their shows, apparently they make a lot more money from touring than third party sales. Makes sense I suppose, considering how criminally underrated they are.

I cannot wait for the Brighton gig in a few months.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Just saw these guys in Milwaukee yesterday. And promptly kicked myself for not bringing cash money since they had Heartbeats and Brainwaves on sale early. :( But Dick dragged me and some guy into a dance with him during Dance Pattern, so it (sort of) balances out.

Definitely see E6 live if you get the chance. They're loving insane, even in tiny little venues.

And gently caress the people who say they get worse with every album. :colbert: I actually think Fire isn't quite as good as some of their later albums, though it's still pretty good. And pretty much all of their albums have grown on me over time(except for KILL, but they're allowed one dud).

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Haifisch posted:

(except for KILL, but they're allowed one dud).

As much as the cd has a few weaker songs on it, Body Shot is a fantastic song and even better live with Dick beating the hell out of them drums.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I liked egyptian cowboy. \/:shobon:\/

But hell, I love everything E6 has done so far. No music is horrible, but some songs are forgettable. I almost never skip any of their songs if I have my entire library on shuffle. Gonna see them in november again, can't wait.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Love new song previews. Gridlock and Psychic Visions are my favorites. New album is going to be so kickass.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Haifisch posted:

Just saw these guys in Milwaukee yesterday. And promptly kicked myself for not bringing cash money since they had Heartbeats and Brainwaves on sale early. :( But Dick dragged me and some guy into a dance with him during Dance Pattern, so it (sort of) balances out.

What is this about early sales. :aaa: I'm seeing them saturday, what are my odds?

Also Body Shot is pretty great because of the hilariously over the top (and incredibly NSFW) music video.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Gils posted:

What is this about early sales. :aaa: I'm seeing them saturday, what are my odds?
A couple other people I've talked to online have the full album already, so I'm guessing E6 wasn't just being extra-nice to Milwaukee. :v: Bring at least $15, since that's what the CD was selling for at the Tuesday show. It's a dollar more than buying on Amazon, but hey, you're getting it early! And you're also giving E6 more money so they can keep touring/making more albums. Everyone wins!

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Haifisch posted:

A couple other people I've talked to online have the full album already, so I'm guessing E6 wasn't just being extra-nice to Milwaukee. :v: Bring at least $15, since that's what the CD was selling for at the Tuesday show. It's a dollar more than buying on Amazon, but hey, you're getting it early! And you're also giving E6 more money so they can keep touring/making more albums. Everyone wins!

...edit: Nevermind.

PeppermintEgo fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 23, 2011

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Saw them last night in Minneapolis for the 4th time. It was probably the best set-list out of all the shows I've seen and the couple new songs they played sounded great. The crowd was not as fun as other shows, with more mosh pit pushing and shoving instead of dancing which is always more fun. Oh well there is always next year to have a good crowd.

AtomicSX
Jan 10, 2007
Saw them in Covington, KY last Sunday and bought the vinyl edition with the extra 7" remixs of "French Bacon" and "Interchangeable Knife" for $20. The vinyl came with a digital download as well :) so I was pretty pumped, they were sold out of the Zodiac vinyl last year when they played here.

They had a pretty good setlist, although they didn't play "Escape from Ohio" :colbert:. Nevertheless the band owns, their shows own, their music still owns after 8 albums. They can have all of my money.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Show is awesome. Best part is where he hugged people in the front row during the middle of I Buy the Drugs. Also, a song from every album!

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Gils posted:

Show is awesome. Best part is where he hugged people in the front row during the middle of I Buy the Drugs. Also, a song from every album!

Now I will try harder than ever to be in the front row.

CruJones
Feb 22, 2006

by Lowtax
Saw Dick and Co. last night in Columbia, MO. Great show as always. Shame the audience has been getting smaller every year, it seems. No hugs here, though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'd love to see one of their shows but living in EU doesn't help it much.

who wants chicken
Mar 2, 2009

Dave, the point of the story is... let's see, hernia, wild animals, Nixon... hell, it's in there somewhere. I'm glad I could help you out.

CruJones posted:

Saw Dick and Co. last night in Columbia, MO. Great show as always. Shame the audience has been getting smaller every year, it seems. No hugs here, though.

I was there too, holy poo poo it was awesome. First time I'd ever seen them in concert, and hopefully not the last.

I love how the band was just wandering around the bar talking to everyone until like 10 minutes before they went onstage.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

Jack Trades posted:

They're playing Moscow (!), Paris, and a couple shows in the Netherlands in November, if those are anywhere near you.

Edit: n-thing everyone else in the thread. IF E6 are playing a show anywhere near you, it's worth your time and money to go. I've seen them 5 times now over a 6 year period and their ability to put on a really great show combined with Dick's awesome stage banter just keeps getting better. Plus, they're all great guys and usually will chat before and after shows.

Dominus Vobiscum fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 28, 2011

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Where you at? Both shows in the Netherlands still have tickets for sale.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Plus, they're all great guys and usually will chat before and after shows.

I tried inviting Percussion World to come over before a show closer to my house (the next day) and he said he would've if he didn't have laundry to do before the rest of the tour :( But yeah, he seemed like a really cool guy!

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

I just listened to the album and it's entirety. I have to say...it's definitely not one of my favorites. It has a more popish/electronic sound to it. I don't dislike it though. Not really "electronic" like Fire but a different kind of electronic sound. It's not better than Zodiac but it's better than KILL, in my opinion.

Here are my favorite albums in order (because I'm bored):
Senior Smoke
Switzerland
Zodiac
I Shall Exterminate...
Flashy
Fire
Heartbeats & Brainwaves
KILL

What about yours?

PeppermintEgo fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 1, 2011

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

I'm preparing to listen to it now, so I'll reserve judgement, but I'm torn as I originally - and, I suppose, still do - considered I Shall Destroy... to be the best album. Musically, I think that Senor Smoke and Fire are better (the run of songs on SS between Jimmy Carter and Be My Dark Angel is probably my favourite of E6, but the other songs don't do it for me as much), but I still maintain that the lyrics peaked for Switzerland and ISD and that ISD, as a complete album, just feels so much more rewarding and not just a collection of good or great songs. So my order would probably now be:

I Shall Destroy...
Senor Smoke
Fire
Switzerland
Zodiac
KILL
Flashy

EDIT: And if we're allowed to include Evil Cowards in the equation, I'd slide that one between Fire and Switzerland. I love that album.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 1, 2011

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I personally don't think that any of their albums are worse or better than any other.
IMO all their albums and songs are very consistent in their inconsistency, and that's what I love about E6.
Edit: I've got favorite songs in every album.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Oh I do. I don't listen to Flashy at all any more, because I didn't rate it at the time and I certainly don't rate it now. The worst album they put out, as far as I'm concerned.

Two good songs, an album doesn't make (Formula 409 and Dirty Ball).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

M1TCH3LL posted:

Oh I do. I don't listen to Flashy at all any more, because I didn't rate it at the time and I certainly don't rate it now. The worst album they put out, as far as I'm concerned.

Two good songs, an album doesn't make (Formula 409 and Dirty Ball).

Formula 409 and Dirty Ball kicks rear end but I personally liked Graphic Designer and Watching Evil Empires Fall Apart too.

Edit: I agree though, it's not one of their best albums.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 1, 2011

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It's really tough to order it since all their albums are pretty good. So I guess this is mostly ordered by "how many songs are on here that I'd consider a favorite?". Complete with comments since I have nothing better to do.

Zodiac - I love 7/12ths of this album, and the rest of it is still pretty great.
I Shall Exterminate... - Gets pretty lame after Lucifer Airlines, but everything before that is good. (Except for When I Get To The Green Building)
Heartbeats & Brainwaves - Really hard to place since it's so new. I like the electronic sound, but I haven't listened to it enough for my opinion of it to be set in stone.
Senor Smoke - Gotta love the Pleasant Interludes. And Jimmy Carter, and Dance Pattern, and Vibrator, and Boy Or Girl, and Be My Dark Angel, and the Radio Gaga cover(E6 may have hated doing it, but at least it turned out well)...
Flashy - The first four songs of this are all great. The album's not quite as great (but still good) after that. I agree with Jack Trades that Graphic Designer's another good one off this album; I'm also a fan of Making Progress, even though a lot of people don't seem to like the synth-voice in that.
Switzerland - Everything on here's at least decent; the only standouts for me are Pink Flamingos, Germans in Mexico, Rubber Rocket, Slices of You and I Buy The Drugs. I find that this has a lot of songs that I really like, but tend to forget about unless I'm actively listening to them(like Slices of You).
Fire - Pretty unremarkable to me other than Dance Commander, Gay Bar, and Danger! High Voltage. Synthesizer & She's White stand out a bit too, but not as much..
KILL - The only songs on here that've particularly caught my interest so far are Escape From Ohio and The Neward Airport Boogie. It's growing on me since I've been listening to it some more, but it still sounds the most...samey...of any E6 album to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Flashy is definitely a better album than Kill. :colbert:

• Locked thread