Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.

Carti posted:

Definitely in my diary to see these guys play Brighton in December after an awesome show last year in Hastings. The new album sounds promising.

Wait, you were at the Crypt last year? I loved that despite being totally munted Dick threw out a great performance. The Brighton gig was much better than last year's as well. It's a shame Jam It In The Hole doesn't really translate well live, Clusterfuck! more than made up for it though.

Onto Zodiac, personally I'm over the moon with it, barring Punk Rock every song gets me going and it's got a great energetic feel through it. Kill and Zodiac have marked a big upturn from the 'decent, but nothing special' feel of Swizerland and Exterminate. I honestly can't believe a band can be so prolific and still strike gold most of the time.

Aggro Craig posted:

I mean, what better way to deal with a heckler than to dismantle his douchiness and spin it into a positive message? All at some little dive in Ohio with what looks like less than 50 people in the crowd.

Damnit man, I was going to post that link. I mean, he equates himself with Jesus Christ and assures a moron he will gently caress him up in a cage match before triumphantly finishing off one of their best songs.
Wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

They're album-pumping machines. What I don't understand is how they keep getting better.
Nice of them to jump across the pond every year to tour as well.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

I prefer to get the new music at their shows, apparently they make a lot more money from touring than third party sales. Makes sense I suppose, considering how criminally underrated they are.

I cannot wait for the Brighton gig in a few months.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

I'd put KILL in second place after Zodiac with Switzerland bringing up the rear, I'd also say White Eyes is one of the greatest songs ever penned by man and Sexy Trash might well be one of the worst.
Haven't had the chance to hear H&B yet, unfortunately.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

All right, let's give this a go. (Albums listed from favourite to least-best, because I don't really dislike any they've put out.)

Zodiac - Jam It In The Hole
KILL - White Eyes
Fire - Synthesizer
Seņor Smoke - Hard choice, either Rock and Roll Evacuation or Dance Epidemic
Flashy - We Were Witchy Witchy White Women
...Exterminate... - When I Get To The Green Building
Switzerland - Night Vision

Heartbeats & Brainwaves - Psychic Visions (Don't know where to put this album yet since I've only heard it once when I was with a friend so I couldn't really focus on it.)

Quick Edit: Everything between Fire and Exterminate on the list is pretty much equally well regarded, was really, really hard to place them in a list.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

I think I've come to like H&B quite a bit despite the heavy electro influences. Very consistent for the first half but yeah, it does feel a bit fillerish after Hello! I See You.
Interchangeable Knife's probably my favourite track at the moment. I love the guest vocals, I just wish it were a minute or so longer, could really do with another verse.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

Nice job on that there OP, M1TCH3LL.

vv I was pretty annoyed that one didn't get onto Sexy Trash, those lyrics are transcendent. vv

Smoky Bandana fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 6, 2011

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

When they first came out I was young enough to find High Voltage and Gay Bar the height of comedy but didn't really hear anything else from them until a friend of mine made me give the rest of Fire a go. I'm the Bomb and Synthesizer really got to me so I went out and grabbed Seņor Smoke myself.

I caught their live show when Flashy came out and have done with each album since so I suppose that's when you could start calling me a 'proper' E6 fan.

Edit

Dissapointed Owl posted:

So... the new albums is pretty drat great. Blows Zodiac and Kill out of the water, anyway.
Hey buddy, those are my favourites. :colbert:
Still, I'm really happy with how H&B turned out, I was expecting the electro focus to really turn me off but there're probably only two tracks on there I don't really enjoy, not bad considering it's got fourteen.

Smoky Bandana fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 12, 2011

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

No idea, admittedly it has One Sick Puppy and You're Bored but other than those it's pretty much all gold for me.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

Weird, every time I've seen them here in England they're filling a five to six hundred capacity venue.
Then again Fire hit the top ten here and I'm pretty sure the lead singles did the same in the singles chart, always nice to have that to fall back on.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

Tell me you got a picture. This is very important.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

free snack posted:

Andy D is uh special :stare:

Yah, think I might come back in an hour or two. Timezones are weird when the UK's in winter time and the US is still operating in summer for another few days.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

It is a shame, good to see that he's muscling through though. Must be pretty painful.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

Oh hells yeah. I was afraid they weren't coming across the pond this time around.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

Glad they turned back on that, fantastic video.

Also,

Credits posted:

Executive Producer/Fight Choreographer
Dick Valentine
is exactly the sort of thing I want to wake up to.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

I've always wanted to see White Eyes live myself, that smoky atmosphere'd be perfect.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

At a guess I'd say nearly everyone who knows Evil Cowards knows it through E6, and let's be honest, these days they're pretty drat obscure as well.

That said, I really looking forward to Moving Through Security. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the first and quite liked seeing some of the electronic feel transferring over to H&B.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

Not so keen on Nom de Plume, Show Me What Your Lights Mean is classic E6 though and I'm still childish enough to love Adam Levine.

Pretty pumped overall, it's weird when a band takes a year out of making new material (for the first time in nearly ten years) and it feels like it's been too long.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

Kaboobi posted:

And Heartbeats is kinda hit or miss, but some of the stuff on it is AWESOME.

That's exactly how I'd describe KILL. I can't bring myself to dislike any album with White Eyes and Escape From Ohio.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

They're pretty much unique I think, no one else I've heard mashes their genres up the same way. Doesn't help that any recommendations I get based on liking them are invariably awful.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

No Ballad of MC Sucka DJ no sell :colbert:

You're doing the lord's work Kaboobi, choose something great again.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

We Were Witchy Witchy White Women for that signature E6 energy and weird lyrics.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

Different strokes I guess, it's probably my favourite along with Synthesizer.
It's hard to suggest any one track considering they mix up their style so often, that and the sound changed quite a bit after Fire when half the band left.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

Nice one. You're doing the lord's work, Kaboobi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

Kaboobi posted:

Oh hey the Roulette Stars digital downloads are out and it includes my dumb cover (which won't be in the film itself cause of legal things)

https://t.co/Rgh5hqhz9R

Nice choice Kaboobi, works great with Valentine's vocals.
You went for Maneater as well, right? That was great as well, been on my main rotation since it came out.

• Locked thread