Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

a bug person posted:

give bugs a chance!

*posts picture that makes me not want to give bugs a chance*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They're lovely and friendly if you give them the chance

That's a pretty adorable spider :3:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I love spiders and have loved them since I was a young child. I'd have pet spiders, but my roommates have told me they will kill them the minute I leave the apartment. Jerks.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Spiders are alright, I mostly try to keep them around because I vastly prefer them over the odd fly or mosquito buzzing around.

At least until the one in my room started weaving up an egg pouch. gently caress that, it got relocated to the porch as gently as I could.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm not sure what kind of golden orb weavers the US has, maybe they're invasive but I know I've seen some huge ones here in Florida.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Hey guys, what's going on in he-:yikes:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Mustang posted:

I'm not sure what kind of golden orb weavers the US has, maybe they're invasive but I know I've seen some huge ones here in Florida.

I was gonna say those are just banana spiders but evidently that's just another name for the golden orb weaver. Who knew? They love to put their webs between trees right at face level which is fun when n the woods.

Pointless anecdote: I was at the Alligator Farm in St. Augustine which has one of every crocodilean species as well as a ton of exotic birds, monkeys, and marmoset type things. But the foreign tourists were totally fascinated by the random banana spiders that were just random wildlife, not part of the exhibit at all.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

That's something, right there. What is it? Whale?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jeherrin posted:

That's something, right there. What is it? Whale?

Gotta be. Unless its the Loch Ness monster.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
It's from this guy's flickr album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/84343144@N00/5038634774/in/photostream/

And a short article about it: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/19/creepy-fin-whale-carcass-photo-svalbard-norway_n_3762939.html

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Polar bear cannibalism is pretty :stare: by itself even without the giant whale skeleton.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

So I'm walking my dog and she scoops up in her mouth a black golf ball-sized object that I figure is a rotted walnut or something. She spits it out and

:nms: http://i.imgur.com/UM35xEw.jpg

Nope. Definately not a walnut

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics

They're lovely and friendly if you give them the chance

I actually got bitten by one of these things, I believe it was Nephila madagascariensis. Its web was in a small tree we were relocating, and I rescued the spider. It thanked me by biting me on the hand. Didn't even feel the bite; it later itched like a mild mosquito bite. I guess their silk is so strong that they don't need powerful venom to subdue their prey.

Dynastes
Oct 17, 2008
The thing about spider venom is it did not evolve to kill large primates, so we simply don't react to most spider venom at all because our bodies work so much differently than a bug's.

Nephila are so much fun to handle, they anchor silk on your hand and then jump off only to climb back up and chill on your forearm.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

quote:

I guess their silk is so strong that they don't need powerful venom to subdue their prey.

And with a million spiders worth of it you can make a nice cape.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
They've actually been experimenting with harvesting spider silk from the milk of transgenic goats. I read about it a while back, don't know if anything ever came of it.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

ReidRansom posted:

And with a million spiders worth of it you can make a nice cape.

Close-up. Wow, it's beautiful

bog pixie
Feb 23, 2013

Basticle posted:

So I'm walking my dog and she scoops up in her mouth a black golf ball-sized object that I figure is a rotted walnut or something. She spits it out and

:nms: http://i.imgur.com/UM35xEw.jpg

Nope. Definately not a walnut

I looked inside a lightpost on top of a parking garage once and inside there was this

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Dynastes posted:

The thing about spider venom is it did not evolve to kill large primates, so we simply don't react to most spider venom at all because our bodies work so much differently than a bug's.

Nephila are so much fun to handle, they anchor silk on your hand and then jump off only to climb back up and chill on your forearm.

However, through some luck of evolution, the primary toxin of the Sydney Funnel-Web Spider (Atrax robustus) is incredibly toxic to primates. And ONLY primates. It doesn't affect other mammals. There have not been primates in Australia long enough for this to be an adaption. It, through dumb luck, is just really deadly to humans.

Also this is what a Sydney Funnel-Web looks like:

Yes, that is venom.

And for scale:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I want to like spiders. I really, really do. But I have arachnophobia, in the truest sense of phobia. I know it's completely irrational, and I'm only afraid of spiders indoors for some odd reason. That big weaver in Borneo, I had no issue getting close to it because it was outdoors. If that thing was inside a building I would freak. And I kick myself anytime I panic near an indoor spider because I know it's stupid to be afraid. I just cant seem to control it. I go hiking and let spiders crawl on my hands, but as soon as I get indoors, nope. The mere thought of one on me freaks me out. It makes me mad that I can't control it. It's seriously ridiculous.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That's what phobia is, I guess. I am not able to sleep in a room if I know there is a spider there. It's gotten better now to the point where I can handle really small ones, so I try not to kill them. Still, I had an incident like a month ago where the biggest loving spider I've ever seen was hanging out on the outside of my doorframe, and I just started immediately getting coldsweats and nearly had a panic attack when I tried to get rid of it.

loving brain, man.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Honeybees! :kimchi:

Now wasps should be killed with fire.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mr Hootington posted:

Now wasps should be killed with fire.

That almost looks like a screenshot from The Blob, except it's a Blob filled with wasps.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Can we stop with the bugs and poo poo? They're not really in the spirit of the thread.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Sharzak doesn't find these particular things creepy folks, can we stick to their pre-approved list only please.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

This is beautiful! If I owned that property I would hold off until the bees has filled those up.

Edit - Uh.. wrong image... but y'know I'm keeping it because I think it's funnier this way

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Dr Scoofles posted:

This is beautiful! If I owned that property I would hold off until the bees has filled those up.

Edit - Uh.. wrong image... but y'know I'm keeping it because I think it's funnier this way

Well, be fair. Dogs with bees in their mouths that shoot bees when they bark are terrifying.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

cptn_dr posted:

Well, be fair. Dogs with bees in their mouths that shoot bees when they bark are terrifying.

Terrifying != creepy, stick to the topic please!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bad Munki posted:

Terrifying != creepy

They're synonymous. :colbert:

Please note that I am terrified of synonyms therefore this post is still on topic. Also I was shrieking at the top of my voice in abject fear while I was typing all this.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Also I was shrieking at the top of my voice in abject fear while I was typing all this.

How I make all my posts on the internet. :cheers:

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

cptn_dr posted:

Dogs with bees in their mouth you say?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The new Assassin's Creed game launched with a few... bugs.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

The new Assassin's Creed game launched with a few... bugs.

So thats how the Headless Horseman could see where he was going!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
The music really makes it
http://youtu.be/Tzwm7t9Xs_o

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

"Would you yiff me?"

"I'd yiff me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

That's what phobia is, I guess. I am not able to sleep in a room if I know there is a spider there.
Well have I got a story for you!

yook posted:

Spiders are alright, I mostly try to keep them around because I vastly prefer them over the odd fly or mosquito buzzing around.

At least until the one in my room started weaving up an egg pouch. gently caress that, it got relocated to the porch as gently as I could.
One time I left my window open when I stayed out of town for a few days. There was this nice little spider that had set up shop in one corner of the window sill that I left alone because I could see the sheer number of mosquitoes it was killing, despite my arachnaphobia. When I got back apparently that nice little spider had decided to have some kids because every inch of my (very small) bedroom was covered with newly made webs and at least 3-4 dozen baby spiders were crawling around every surface. There was no "gently caress That" big enough so I slept on the couch for two days before manning up, grabbing some gloves and a vacuum cleaner and vacuuming every square inch of my room and then burning the waste bag. I let my arachnaphobic guard down once and that was when they struck!

Ignimbrite posted:

However, through some luck of evolution, the primary toxin of the Sydney Funnel-Web Spider (Atrax robustus) is incredibly toxic to primates. And ONLY primates. It doesn't affect other mammals. There have not been primates in Australia long enough for this to be an adaption. It, through dumb luck, is just really deadly to humans.

Also this is what a Sydney Funnel-Web looks like:

Yes, that is venom.

And for scale:

Aren't Sydney Funnel Webs also the only spider that's aggressively territorial? Like, if you enter their zone they will actually chase you to some extent?

InequalityGodzilla has a new favorite as of 08:47 on Nov 14, 2014

• Locked thread