Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Radish posted:

CJ comes back and the next season is all Mordecai getting inside his own head about Margaret instead of the other way around episodes.

I hope Mordecai gets a cat, and forgets about ladies for at least 100 seasons. Maybe a crush here and there, but the guy needs to find himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This season's been great at keeping away from the Mordecai failed romance subplots and I hope this season doesn't end on one of those notes. I doubt it will, though. There is still a dome around the park and Rigby is set to finally graduate high school.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

WHAT THAT'S IT?!

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Y-Hat posted:

This season's been great at keeping away from the Mordecai failed romance subplots and I hope this season doesn't end on one of those notes. I doubt it will, though. There is still a dome around the park and Rigby is set to finally graduate high school.

That's one way to stop any of that from happening...

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
Just saw the season finale.

Pretty sure the show just jumped the shark.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Guess we'll have to wait and see but its clear the shows nearing the end. But then its had a hell of a run for a show which started with mordo and rigby cause chaos - skips fixes it to what we have now.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Croc posted:

JG Quintel ‏@JGQuintel Jun 26
The season finale of Regular Show airs on Thursday. It will never be the same again.

So god knows what they're planning on how to shake things up.
That certainly qualifies.

As long as they keep cramming in the '80s references then it should be good, I guess. But I like the formula they've mostly stuck with for the past seven seasons.

Edit: Had time to think about it some more... that finale was garbage. Just when the show finally started to get its legs back, it throws a probably bullshit overarching plot into the next season. It should still be fun to watch, but man.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 3, 2016

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Hexmage-SA posted:

Pretty sure the show just jumped the shark.
I too am shocked by this sudden unexpected left turn into flights of absurdity by a show that has traditionally been a sedate, level-headed exploration of serious sociopolitical issues and totally has never featured one of the main protagonists dating an anthropomorphic weather pattern.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
News: According to Mark Hamill's Twitter, posts now deleted, Regular Show will end with the upcoming eighth season.

Views: It's sad but I think it's about time. The show stagnated after a while and wasted too much time on the wrong relationships, it squandered a lot of its potential as time went on but it still has a very good legacy to look back on. Come Labor Day it'll have been on TV for six years.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The sad thing about last season was that it was a good return to form, and Rigby's redemption story arc was far more enjoyable to follow than Season 6's horrible Mordecai love triangle arc. But to say it didn't stick the landing in the finale is an understatement. At least "Regular Show Season 8: Lost In Space" will give the show an opportunity to end on a good note, even though the cast of characters will be limited to the ones that aren't on Earth.

I wouldn't be surprised if JG Quintel is ending it because he wants to start something new.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

The sad thing about last season was that it was a good return to form, and Rigby's redemption story arc was far more enjoyable to follow than Season 6's horrible Mordecai love triangle arc. But to say it didn't stick the landing in the finale is an understatement. At least "Regular Show Season 8: Lost In Space" will give the show an opportunity to end on a good note, even though the cast of characters will be limited to the ones that aren't on Earth.

I wouldn't be surprised if JG Quintel is ending it because he wants to start something new.

I'm pretty sure CN told the showmakers about the end of the show, so they're doing some crazy stuff to go out on a high note.

But these two images illustrate why the show was canceled. Season 6 ratings vs. Season 7:

http://imgur.com/lG9duv3
http://imgur.com/IlLcypR

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I wonder how much of those ratings fluctations is based on CN's lovely advertising and constant shuffling of air times. It was a pain in the rear end keeping up with which day new episodes would be aired on.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

The ratings actually bottomed out when the show was airing weekly on Saturdays at 6 p.m. in a consistent timeslot.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CRINDY posted:

The ratings actually bottomed out when the show was airing weekly on Saturdays at 6 p.m. in a consistent timeslot.
To be fair, that was a terrible place to put two of Cartoon Network's longest running and most popular shows (the other one being Adventure Time), and I'm still not sure why they stuck with it for that long.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/JGQuintel/status/773353313832087552

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah I'll get right on that

[lowers expectations]

alright, i'm ready

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Back in 09 AT and RS were a breath of fresh air I guess cause they were surreal. Tim curry as a hot dog still gets me

I am glade it's ending and they are putting effort into ending it well.

I hope AT can end on a high note

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

max4me posted:

Back in 09 AT and RS were a breath of fresh air I guess cause they were surreal.
It was a heady period of time when Chiptunified Background Music was daring and references to Nerd Culture castoffs/retro tech were novel.

Oh brave new world...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Reminder, the final season starts tonight and will run every weeknight this week at 8 with the series finale scheduled to run some time in January.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The scheduling for Regular Show season 8 is essentially Summer of Steven-style, right?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So far, from what I can find it is 2 new episodes tonight, 2 new episodes tomorrow, 1 new episode a night for the rest of the week and then after that everything is up in the air. The promo just says "Every night at 8" but I can't find info for much further than this week.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ah OK. Somebody in the general kids' show thread said it was gonna be sorta like Summer of Steven in terms of scheduling, but it's good to make sure in the actual thread dedicated to RS.

I'm a little skeptical but looking forward to it. Last season was quite good outside of the WTF-worthy ending.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CRINDY posted:

Who makes time to watch a show at 6pm on a Saturday though?

I missed that entire season because I would forget it was on whenever Saturday would roll around, and then they moved it somewhere else anyway.

And CN took it out of their "run this poo poo into the ground" afternoon rotation, so I never had a chance to catch up.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 27, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So, if tonight's two episodes are any indication it looks like this season might be very serialized.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I'm not really sold in this whole serialized thing they seem to be going for in this last season. Just kinda seems like they're going through the motions and running out the clock.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This second episode doesn't seem to be serialized, so it might just be that the first three episodes were setup.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah the giant plant was more of a return to form.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Crossfire theme for the hover boots and a Konami code reference? Seems like it's back.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah the giant plant was more of a return to form.

That as was a fun episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That was a pretty fun episode.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I gotta say, the Mantis King voice sounds awfully familiar... sounds sorta Joker-like. :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Y-Hat posted:

I gotta say, the Mantis King voice sounds awfully familiar... sounds sorta Joker-like. :v:

It is probably cheaper just to have people who are regulars on the show do multiple voices than to constantly hire new guest stars.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

It is probably cheaper just to have people who are regulars on the show do multiple voices than to constantly hire new guest stars.
Hey, I'm not complaining. It was cool to hear that voice again.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Rigby, disembodied space brains are always evil.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of disappointing that they obviously wanted to actually have the Safety Dance playing in that episode but didn't.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

spooky like this! posted:

Kind of disappointing that they obviously wanted to actually have the Safety Dance playing in that episode but didn't.
I guess Cartoon Network didn't give them the budget that they've had in every season before this one. Song rights ain't cheap, ya know.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 8, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

For some reason, I like that Eileen came along to space.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Waffleman_ posted:

For some reason, I like that Eileen came along to space.

Eileen is great.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So I have come back for the final season. Kinda tuned out when Mordecai met CJ the cloud girl.

What happened in the meantime? Lots of Mordecai just not choosing anyone and being a bitch about it?

Also, did Rigby apologise for treating Elanore like rubbish for years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Rigby revealed that he and Eileen had been lowkey dating while Mordo was going through his poo poo and now their relationship is more open. The main storylines of the previous season were Rigby going back to high school to get his diploma to make himself feel like he deserved Eileen and a dome being put over the park. Again. Rigby's school days were a much better plot than Mordo's bullshit and the final episode of the previous season had Rigby graduating and the dome sending the park into space, where we are now.

• Locked thread