Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Pram posted:

I've been thinking that Jeanne could be what the court uses to kill people who want to defect to the forest side. When the fairies are down there they're waiting on someone to smash them so they can become human and go to the court (which ysengrin 'helps' them with) so I have to assume a similar thing exists for humans wanting to go the opposite way. Of course Aly didn't need to get smashed when he turned into a bird so I dunno. It would make sense though why Jeanne crossed the river since Annie is a human and the fairies aren't.

This sounds pretty plausible, but I'd go one step further and guess that Jeanne isn't 'used' by the Court at all. I think she's out to get revenge on court-siders, which is why she went after Annie and not the fairies - and why Muut comments that she's 'still so angry'. Not sure how Diego and the birds fit into things, though.

E: Alright, we're done with spoiler tags.

Kismet fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Since we're on the second page, can we stop using spoiler tags?

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Kismet posted:

This sounds pretty plausible, but I'd go one step further and guess that Jeanne isn't 'used' by the Court at all. I think she's out to get revenge on court-siders, which is why she went after Annie and not the fairies - and why Muut comments that she's 'still so angry'. Not sure how Diego and the birds fit into things, though.
We still don't have any proof that she's a murderer, though. All she's done so far is give Annie that odd scar on her spirit-self.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Since we're on the second page, can we stop using spoiler tags?

Sure.

I actually did think they were going to hit her instead of him, so I guess I'm dumb.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Psych posted:

He can play soccer, that's more then Boxbot could ever do.

I'd like to see Robox play goalie without arms!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
He could just head the ball every time.

SomeKindofVerb
Jan 12, 2010
I am going to get involved with this thread, having burned through it all about six months ago, and then catching up with the last six months worth just then that second.

...firstly, I am getting involved by saying it's a really great comic.

Secondly, screw Boxbot.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Fecha posted:

We still don't have any proof that she's a murderer, though. All she's done so far is give Annie that odd scar on her spirit-self.

When Annie asked Muut about Jeanne, he says she should be thankful she can't cross the river and that Jeanne is beyond the reach of the psychopomps. Sounds like a dangerous spirit to me.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Well, "She died, and we did nothing" makes a lot more sense. She probably starved to death down there or died of heartbreak, giving Diago plenty of time to you know, actually do something.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Welp, nevermind. Helps if I read, you know, the next 5 pages...

I will say that it was a pretty elaborate arrow that killed Mr. Green, when I think any arrow would have sufficed to just kill him.

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 24, 2010

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Kismet posted:

E: Alright, we're done with spoiler tags.

I'm pretty sure Muut was talking about Annie still being angry that none of them came for her mother.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Okay, I'm confused. What "elaborate arrow" is everyone talking about?

EDIT: Thanx!

Uthor fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 24, 2010

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Uthor posted:

Okay, I'm confused. What "elaborate arrow" is everyone talking about?

Booyah

furthermore

seems she knew the marksman well enough

\/\/\/ We are all Boxbot! You are hating yourselves!

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 24, 2010

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

^^ BOXBOT THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT

This one: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=655

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Dodgeball posted:

I will say that it was a pretty elaborate arrow that killed Mr. Green, when I think any arrow would have sufficed to just kill him.

Well he is an elf creature thing, maybe they did need something special.

Mr. Vile posted:

I'm pretty sure Muut was talking about Annie still being angry that none of them came for her mother.

Yeah I think you're right.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

Well he is an elf creature thing, maybe they did need something special.

I don't think they'd make such a big deal about the arrow if all they needed it to do was kill something. The faeries wanted Annie to smash them with a rock, so I don't think it takes all that much for a magical creature to die.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Dodgeball posted:

Booyah

I said this when it was first released, but that arrow is designed to trap something - probably a spirit - not to pierce.

Who is the man on top left here? It isn't Steadman, Sir Young, or Diego.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Brannock posted:

I said this when it was first released, but that arrow is designed to trap something - probably a spirit - not to pierce.

Who is the man on top left here? It isn't Steadman, Sir Young, or Diego.

I always assumed it was the, now, head master.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Mirage posted:

Why do you make me do bad things?

I hate to say something so trite as 'this isn't getting enough love', but this is loving tremendous and it deserves to be regarded as such.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Mirage posted:

Why do you make me do bad things?

Didn't you see earlier?

Jervas Dudley posted:

Nicolae Carpathia

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

Didn't you see earlier?

Hey, this got like no love Day One:
(can't say I blame you, though...)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Please excuse the double post, but I had to balance that out with something awesome. I love Mort, the ghost:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

I'd like to see Robox play goalie without arms!

I'd like to see Boxbot do anything useful with his arms.

Robox has a confident stride, a winning smile, and a go-getter attitude. Why play goalie when he could easily be coach or team owner?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Elftor posted:

I'd like to see Boxbot do anything useful with his arms.

Robox has a confident stride, a winning smile, and a go-getter attitude. Why play goalie when he could easily be coach or team owner?

Or, you know, a star striker. He'd never get called for hand ball.

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.
Boxbot is the Weighted Companion Cube of Gunnerkrigg Court.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

CyRaptor posted:

Boxbot is the Weighted Companion Cube of Gunnerkrigg Court.

Except I'm not sick of hearing about him, yet.

\/\/ I'd never throw Boxbot in a fire. All I'm sayin'. :colbert:

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 24, 2010

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Give it another 198 pages.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Dodgeball posted:

I always assumed it was the, now, head master.

No the whole Jeanne thing was supposed to be over a hundred years ago I always felt.

e: also I think the OP should have a link to the Gunnerkrigg Court Wiki, which is pretty good.

chiyosdad
May 5, 2004

"I wish I were a bird!"
I reread the archives in one go and it was a completely different experience. There's a lot of internal callbacks in the comic that I don't notice the first time around because I can't remember something I read months ago, like this:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=765
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=6

Dodgeball posted:

Welp, nevermind. Helps if I read, you know, the next 5 pages...

The arrow is the device that makes it impossible for people to cross the river. I think it was mentioned somewhere that the court did that. This series of events is probably how it happened.

Edit: I have a question. Who is the girl with the white hair who sometimes shows up in end of chapter art?

chiyosdad fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 24, 2010

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

chiyosdad posted:

I reread the archives in one go and it was a completely different experience. There's a lot of internal callbacks in the comic that I don't notice the first time around because I can't remember something I read months ago, like this:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=765
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=6

The arrow is the device that makes it impossible for people to cross the river. I think it was mentioned somewhere that the court did that. This series of events is probably how it happened.

Edit: I have a question. Who is the girl with the white hair who sometimes shows up in end of chapter art?

I think it's just some quasi-narrator for the end of chapter stuff, not anyone of consequence.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

chiyosdad posted:

That's Tea, and yeah she is just a narrator.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
One of the things I like about QC its its story format. Obviously the story arcs are linked, but they're also pretty well-contained and separate in mood and perspective. It's a scheme where I can remember a fun plot like the camping trip and just hop back to it to go through again. So I was wondering, do people have a favorite story so far? (Here is the list.)

Off the top of my head I'd pick the medium training one. Sure it's not very action-y, but I like the interaction of the characters and the little mysteries that pop up.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Fecha posted:

Off the top of my head I'd pick the medium training one. Sure it's not very action-y, but I like the interaction of the characters and the little mysteries that pop up.

Yeah, I like the other medium candidates and the medium group's interaction with Mort.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Fecha posted:

One of the things I like about QC its its story format. Obviously the story arcs are linked, but they're also pretty well-contained and separate in mood and perspective. It's a scheme where I can remember a fun plot like the camping trip and just hop back to it to go through again. So I was wondering, do people have a favorite story so far? (Here is the list.)

I think Coyote Stories is my favorite, mainly because Coyote owns but also because of the art style when Coyote is telling a story.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Just read the entire archive and added a new webcomic to my bookmarks. Hot drat that was good, and I can definitely see why Neil Gaiman likes it.

I would advise new readers to not get turned off by the first few stories, like I nearly was. It definitely gets a lot better.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

1stGear posted:

Just read the entire archive and added a new webcomic to my bookmarks. Hot drat that was good, and I can definitely see why Neil Gaiman likes it.

I would advise new readers to not get turned off by the first few stories, like I nearly was. It definitely gets a lot better.

In retrospect, the first few stories feel like Harry Potter Book One. It's a bit more storybook, a bit more childish, but completely normal for new, young characters growing into adulthood.

I'm not sure if it's intentional, but I always felt like the graphic style evolving away from the frightening semi-giger architecture of the Court felt like Annie getting used to and acclimating to her new home.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Copernic posted:

In retrospect, the first few stories feel like Harry Potter Book One. It's a bit more storybook, a bit more childish, but completely normal for new, young characters growing into adulthood.

I'm not sure if it's intentional, but I always felt like the graphic style evolving away from the frightening semi-giger architecture of the Court felt like Annie getting used to and acclimating to her new home.

For me, it was more that Annie was just the perfect, somber little girl with a mysterious past that got away with everything and was basically the perfect definition of Mary Sue. It also seemed like its was just riding on the whole "Harry Potter, but different!" shtick and not having any substance, all of which are things that goons tend to mock.

Then the world and characters get fleshed out, you start to get more flashes of The Plot, and the art and writing improve significantly. I think its about when you meet Ysengrim and Coyote that everything hits its stride.

So yeah, kind of like Harry Potter Book One.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

One of my favorites is Annie's first medium job with the boy in the hospital. Her figuring out what happened and the realization of what the weird lizard thing is were well done.

Also anything with Zimmy and Gamma.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Mercury Hat posted:

One of my favorites is Annie's first medium job with the boy in the hospital. Her figuring out what happened and the realization of what the weird lizard thing is were well done.

Also anything with Zimmy and Gamma.

Totally agree on both counts. A Ghost Story is fantastic even as a standalone story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I just binged through the whole archive in one day and I'm definitely going to be going back and re-reading it again, but slower. One thing I noticed especially early was that the characters, even where they look similar, were easy enough to distinguish without any obvious cues (like someone saying their name) which is something I always have trouble with. I don't think this is a problem many people have but I just have an extremely difficult time distinguishing people that look even remotely similar.

The only thing I was disappointed with was the lack of a printed version.