Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Roflex posted:

The only thing I was disappointed with was the lack of a printed version.

http://www.amazon.com/Gunnerkrigg-Court-Vol-1-Orientation/dp/1932386343/ref=pd_sim_b_1

http://www.amazon.com/Gunnerkrigg-Court-Vol-2-Research/dp/1932386777/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Ok I am now also disappointed with the lack of an obvious link on the website. And with my bank account, now.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Roflex posted:

Ok I am now also disappointed with the lack of an obvious link on the website. And with my bank account, now.

Man, thirty five bucks is a night out with your significant other at a restaurant. You can set up a date with your girl at your apartment one weekend, I'm sure she won't mind.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Brannock posted:

Man, thirty five bucks is a night out with your significant other at a restaurant. You can set up a date with your girl at your apartment one weekend, I'm sure she won't mind.

Maybe sit beside a fireplace. Reading comic books together. Having feelings. And hugging... and... :smith:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

No the whole Jeanne thing was supposed to be over a hundred years ago I always felt.

e: also I think the OP should have a link to the Gunnerkrigg Court Wiki, which is pretty good.

The OP should also link to Tom's Formspring page. It's basically his question box and he says he responds to every question (except questions about Reynard's body swapping powers, because people always seem to get obsessed with the "rules" about how it works whenever it's brought up). He's answered more than 6300 questions to date and has revealed a lot of interesting background info, most of which is summarized in the "Word of Tom" series of pages on the Wiki. Right now there're a few answers on the "first" page of questions that are highly relevant to the current storyline:

Tea-san on Formspring posted:

>Did Jeanne agreeing to meet up with Greenguy take place after where she talked to Diego about going into the ravine in Ch.25?

yes

Tea-san on Formspring posted:

>Did Jeanne have any reason to suspect that anyone but Diego might have something against her lover or their relationship?

She knew of only one person who could make a shot like that with a bow and arrow, and who it would take to arrange the whole thing.

If you want to ask Tom a question on Formspring be careful in how you word it. He has a tendency to make his answers ambiguous if you give him the room to do so (e.g. answering simply "yes" or "no" to queries with multiple questions). The best strategy seems to be only asking one thing at a time.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Mr.Radar posted:

The OP should also link to Tom's Formspring page. It's basically his question box and he says he responds to every question (except questions about Reynard's body swapping powers, because people always seem to get obsessed with the "rules" about how it works whenever it's brought up). He's answered more than 6300 questions to date and has revealed a lot of interesting background info, most of which is summarized in the "Word of Tom" series of pages on the Wiki.

For someone who's so good about answering questions he sure doesn't sound like he enjoys it.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Brannock posted:

For someone who's so good about answering questions he sure doesn't sound like he enjoys it.

He's actually gotten a lot more enthusiastic about it since he started. For a while, mostly before he went to SDCC, the tone of his answers was really discouraged and depressive. Once someone asked him something along the lines of where he would be today without GC and he responded that he would probably be dead. :smith:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Hah, I knew there was some reason I had been doubting Jeanne's violent tendencies.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=360
Particularly I'm looking at the wording on panel 3.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
As far as I'm concerned, Jeanne's purpose remains unclear, especially in light of the newer materials. Which events are the result of her contributions and which are the result of other forces are impossible to distinguish. We don't even know to what extent Jeanne may have retained certain emotions and about what topics.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Mr.Radar posted:

He's actually gotten a lot more enthusiastic about it since he started. For a while, mostly before he went to SDCC, the tone of his answers was really discouraged and depressive. Once someone asked him something along the lines of where he would be today without GC and he responded that he would probably be dead. :smith:

Tea-san is a fantastic writer and artist, but the absolute worst at talking about his comic. Not that I would want him to stop, because I love learning more about the world he has crafted, but he's just so goddamn :smith: about it.

I remember one point maybe about a year ago or a little more when there were some hiccoughs getting Volume 2 published that he started claiming it was never going to come out and for people to cancel their orders. It got so bad that finally several people, myself included, had to yell at him to stop being so loving defeatist. And now look, Volume 2 is out, so what did he have to be so worried about?

And now looking at his Formspring, someone asked a question about if he'd ever want to do an animated version of the comic, and he said yes but it'll never happen. Will it never happen because he thinks no production company would want to work with him?

Tea-san, you write and draw an amazing comic that tons of people love and has won several prestigious awards and has attracted the praise of some big names like Neil Gaiman. Take some pride in your work, man. And cheer the gently caress up.

McGravin fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 25, 2010

Munchface
May 19, 2006
The price of getting what you want, is getting what once you wanted.

McGravin posted:

Tea-san is a fantastic writer and artist, but the absolute worst at talking about his comic. Not that I would want him to stop, because I love learning more about the world he has crafted, but he's just so goddamn :smith: about it.
I think this is true of a lot of creative people. I listen to/read a lot of interviews with comic creators, and it blows my mind to hear guys like Phil Hester or Bryan Lee O'Malley talk about how they suck, despite massive success that says otherwise.

I'm not sure it's entirely a bad thing, because the second you buy into your own hype, is the second you stop actively working to be better. I'd rather see a creator exhibit too much humility than too much ego. That said, if you have too little faith in your work, and genuinely believe it's not good, then that neurosis can cripple your ability to produce material.

Given that Gunnerkrigg updates like clockwork, and that it shows no sign of ending, I imagine Tea-san's having plenty of fun doing it, and knows its popularity is a sign of success, on some level.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Munchface posted:

I think this is true of a lot of creative people. I listen to/read a lot of interviews with comic creators, and it blows my mind to hear guys like Phil Hester or Bryan Lee O'Malley talk about how they suck, despite massive success that says otherwise.

I'm not sure it's entirely a bad thing, because the second you buy into your own hype, is the second you stop actively working to be better. I'd rather see a creator exhibit too much humility than too much ego. That said, if you have too little faith in your work, and genuinely believe it's not good, then that neurosis can cripple your ability to produce material.

Given that Gunnerkrigg updates like clockwork, and that it shows no sign of ending, I imagine Tea-san's having plenty of fun doing it, and knows its popularity is a sign of success, on some level.
I think that most of the time, when an author claims his work is terrible and horrible and embarassing, it's guaranteed he's only fishing for compliments.
Having seen some of Tom's old comics and scribbles, I do believe that he's one of the exceptions to the rule and dude does honestly believe his work is not up to snuff.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend

Calaveron posted:

I think that most of the time, when an author claims his work is terrible and horrible and embarassing, it's guaranteed he's only fishing for compliments.
Having seen some of Tom's old comics and scribbles, I do believe that he's one of the exceptions to the rule and dude does honestly believe his work is not up to snuff.

That's bullshit. Most artists are genuinely stupidly insecure about their work.

On the other hand, it's quite possible Tom isn't entirely serious when he says things you guys interpret as proof of his deep, incurable depression. Or maybe he's just a pessimist! Pessimists can be happy, too! They just tend to downplay possibilities of future happiness.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Well I've never seen Tom whine about the quality of his art or writing, just about ancillary stuff like getting his books published and so on.

Sulevis posted:

On the other hand, it's quite possible Tom isn't entirely serious when he says things you guys interpret as proof of his deep, incurable depression.

I'd be happy to believe that if he weren't so persistent and consistent with it. His forum posts and wordier Formspring answers aren't just occasionally depressing in a joshing manner; they're pretty much never not depressing.

At best, he manages to go from :smith: to :unsmith:.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

A British fellow with a dry, dark, sarcastic style of posting?

How entirely unprecedented.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Sulevis posted:

That's bullshit. Most artists are genuinely stupidly insecure about their work.

On the other hand, it's quite possible Tom isn't entirely serious when he says things you guys interpret as proof of his deep, incurable depression. Or maybe he's just a pessimist! Pessimists can be happy, too! They just tend to downplay possibilities of future happiness.

I dunno, I wouldn't say he has a "deep, incurable depression," but at the same time I'd say his attitude goes (or at least went) beyond mere pessimism. I think the biggest evidence of this is his attitude towards merch. For a long time he didn't really have much merch. When I started reading (around chapter 14 I think) it was just the first 7 chapters self-published and commissioned custom drawings. Then he stopped doing the custom drawing because he didn't have the time and the self-published book sold out. Fortunately for us a real publisher became interested in his comic (I don't know if he approached them or they approached him) and we got the first volume. Then after he got back from SDCC he started selling those shirts and posters, and now he has a Reynard plush in the works. These are all things that fans had been asking him to do for literally years.

His attitude really picked up first for a short while after he went to the Comix Thing in London and now seemingly permanently after he's come back from SDCC. Someone asked him about his change in attitude/perspective after SDCC and he said that he met a bunch of neat people. My guess is that he was able to see it's not just a few internet sycophants who appreciate his comic, but lots of real people and even other webcomic artists. I think he also realized that a webcomic doesn't have to be a huge money hole, and you can make some real money by selling merch people want. It's possible he may have been exaggerating his persona a bit in his written online communications, but you can't argue that he's really stepped up with the merch recently and that that shift has coincided with a shift in his online persona away from extreme pessimism (to merely standard pessimism).

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Fecha posted:

Hah, I knew there was some reason I had been doubting Jeanne's violent tendencies.

Uh, hello?

chiyosdad
May 5, 2004

"I wish I were a bird!"

Fecha posted:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=360
Particularly I'm looking at the wording on panel 3.

She's saying "when I thought she had cut me" because she doesn't know she's been cut yet. Later in the ether Coyote points out the cut and she was like, wait, what?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Dodgeball posted:

Uh, hello?

That's only once though, and she had a good reason.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

That's only once though, and she had a good reason.

Diego, how did you get a black eye, again...?

I fell...

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

You remember that she is a professional soldier, yes?

Not to rag on anyone, but I can't help wondering whether there'd be this much debate if the character wasn't a willowy blonde woman. She's a soldier, she's been shown to have an explosive temper, and she at least appeared to attack Annie. I could be completely wrong, but on the surface - and bearing in mind how little we've actually seen of her - there is quite a bit of evidence that she has the capacity for violence.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Kismet posted:

You remember that she is a professional soldier, yes?

Not to rag on anyone, but I can't help wondering whether there'd be this much debate if the character wasn't a willowy blonde woman. She's a soldier, she's been shown to have an explosive temper, and she at least appeared to attack Annie. I could be completely wrong, but on the surface - and bearing in mind how little we've actually seen of her - there is quite a bit of evidence that she has the capacity for violence.

I was talking about before she became a ghost, and that's the only time I can recall her getting violent.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

chiyosdad posted:

She's saying "when I thought she had cut me" because she doesn't know she's been cut yet. Later in the ether Coyote points out the cut and she was like, wait, what?
But that shows that it doesn't hurt. And the cut never shows up until she's traveling through the ether, so clearly it's related to her powers.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kismet posted:

Not to rag on anyone, but I can't help wondering whether there'd be this much debate if the character wasn't a willowy blonde woman.

Jones is a willowy blonde woman, and there's no debate whatsoever about how many trucks she eats for breakfast.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Taking the time to read through the archives again, on the prompting of someone else upthread.

I love Mort. I forgot how much of a great character he is.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Really Pants posted:

Jones is a willowy blonde woman, and there's no debate whatsoever about how many trucks she eats for breakfast.

She actually just eats one double-decker bus for breakfast. Look how wrong you are!

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Fecha posted:

But that shows that it doesn't hurt. And the cut never shows up until she's traveling through the ether, so clearly it's related to her powers.
The cut is magical and shows up whenever magic is going on. I think it just has to be ether-related, not necessarily specifically Annie's powers.

I thought everyone knew this already.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

McGravin posted:

The cut is magical and shows up whenever magic is going on. I think it just has to be ether-related, not necessarily specifically Annie's powers.

I thought everyone knew this already.
I figured people did too. I'm pointing out that Jeanne wasn't trying to kill her, at least not in a literal, cut-poo poo-up sense-- there was something else going on there.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Calaveron posted:

No, it's actually a proven cognitive bias called the Dunning-Kruger effect. Competence breeds self-awareness.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Nooo why would you link this, I need my money for college-y things

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
Oh! <3 Thank you for the shoutout with my fanart in the OP <3

Gunnerkrigg is the best!

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Wanderer posted:

No, it's actually a proven cognitive bias called the Dunning-Kruger effect. Competence breeds self-awareness.

If I'm reading that Wikipedia article correctly, you're getting that completely, totally backwards.

This says that an unskilled person makes mistakes and because of their lack of technical competence, fails to realize them and so claims superiority.

What we have here is a skilled person making no mistakes (or certainly very few), and despite a wealth of technical competence, imagines mistakes where there are none and so claims inferiority.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

McGravin posted:

If I'm reading that Wikipedia article correctly, you're getting that completely, totally backwards.

This says that an unskilled person makes mistakes and because of their lack of technical competence, fails to realize them and so claims superiority.

What we have here is a skilled person making no mistakes (or certainly very few), and despite a wealth of technical competence, imagines mistakes where there are none and so claims inferiority.

Wikipedia posted:

The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average, much higher than it actually is, while the highly skilled underrate their abilities, suffering from illusory inferiority.

This is the second sentence :psyduck:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Really Pants posted:

Jones is less willowy.

And is also a robot.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

1stGear posted:

Jones is less willowy.

And is also a robot.

:colbert:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Dodgeball posted:

:colbert:

That sounds like exactly what a robot would say! :colbertreversal:

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

1stGear posted:

:colbertreversal:

It's dangerous to go alone. Here, take this.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

YES bread posted:

This is the second sentence :psyduck:

McGravin told me he was an excellent wiki-reader!

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Well that's what I get for skimming. :downs:

But it is true that the entirety of the rest of the article talks primarily about unskilled people suffering from illusory superiority. I only see illusory inferiority mentioned once or twice. The original study only deals with illusory superiority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Do you think Mr. Siddell reads this thread?