Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

A student posted:

Do you think Mr. Siddell reads this thread?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I hate to be "that guy" but saying that Gunnerkrigg is mistake-free or is a masterpiece would be kind of insulting if I were Tom Siddell. It's very good, yes, but it has a lot of room to improve, and I'm sure he sees tons more areas to improve than I do.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

A student posted:

Do you think Mr. Siddell reads this thread?

He reads the main webcomics thread, so it would make sense that he reads this one too.

Brannock posted:

I hate to be "that guy" but saying that Gunnerkrigg is mistake-free or is a masterpiece would be kind of insulting if I were Tom Siddell. It's very good, yes, but it has a lot of room to improve, and I'm sure he sees tons more areas to improve than I do.

I'm not trying to say it's perfect and Tea-san is infallible. I'm sure he sees plenty of areas that he wants to improve. But personally, I can't think of a single thing I would like to see changed about the comic.

I would consider it in the top tier of webcomics, quality-wise, along with Tales of Overside, Abominable Charles Christopher, and a few others.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

McGravin posted:

But personally, I can't think of a single thing I would like to see changed about the comic.

More Coyote-vision scenes, confirmation that Jones is exactly what I think she is, and less unjustified anti-Boxbot bias.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

fritz posted:

No.

He does read the main Webcomic thread in BSS, though.
gently caress, beaten by several minutes... I have the saddest face.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You just wants Jones to be a robot so she can legally marry Boxbot.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

less unjustified anti-Boxbot bias.

Go to hell. :mad:

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

A student posted:

Boxbot is too good for Jones.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

A student posted:

Who the hell would marry Boxbot? Boxbot should die alone. :mad:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Half this thread has been about that horrible thing! Can't you people read? :mad:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Guy gets his own thread, suddenly it's "Mr. Siddel".

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

fritz posted:

I just think of him as glowy dog vision guy.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

less unjustified anti-Boxbot bias.

So more justified anti-Boxbot bias.... Or is that less justified Boxbot bias? Maybe it's more unjustified Boxbot oh no, I've gone cross-eyed.

:eng101:

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
Gunnerkrigg Court is the kind of thing I'd love to see made into a series of movies one day. Maybe it's not the perfect series but it's very entertaining and I for one would go see it opening weekend.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Gunnerkrigg Court is the kind of thing I'd love to see made into a series of movies one day. Maybe it's not the perfect series but it's very entertaining and I for one would go see it opening weekend.
I prefer to picture a TV show. Half an hour seems a decent time for each story.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I think the chapter format would be better suited to a TV series, unless you shuffled a few chapters that had related content around so they were next to each other. Chapters 1-14 would make a good first season, maybe split up some of the longer chapters into two-part episodes and have a 16-18 episode season. It almost sets up to be transferred to animation too easily, like he's had it in mind from the beginning but (for whatever reason) hasn't gone through with it. (Actually I'm kind of glad he hasn't yet, because it seems like the kind of thing that would have to be rushed.) I'm thinking let him finish up the comic (one of his Q&As said he had a definite ending in mind) and from there shop it around. 5-10 years from now should be far enough removed from Pottermania that he could take it to any number of studios and have enough leverage to have as much creative control as he wants (because I can also see a studio just buying the rights outright and making a travesty of it all).

Then again it seems like his experience just getting the drat thing printed would be enough to turn anyone off from trying for anything even close to that scale of a project.

On the subject of print, one option I'd like to have though is individual chapters in a comic-booky form. The hardcover just seems like something I'd put on a shelf and forget about, or binge through the whole thing in a day (like I did with the online archive). That might make a decent source of revenue as well if he put them out on a schedule, like one chapter a month with the occasional double-issue. On that schedule he'd eventually catch up with the webcomic so it could be something he puts out in 'seasons', with the releases always at least a couple months behind the webcomic.

I think I'd enjoy it more that way as well; even though I've already read through the whole thing, having something to look forward to in the mail would be nice. Just having that anticipation factor would be enough for a lot of people to buy it. I would.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Green elf guy was actually Coyote in disguise calling it now.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Roflex posted:

On the subject of print, one option I'd like to have though is individual chapters in a comic-booky form. The hardcover just seems like something I'd put on a shelf and forget about, or binge through the whole thing in a day (like I did with the online archive). That might make a decent source of revenue as well if he put them out on a schedule, like one chapter a month with the occasional double-issue. On that schedule he'd eventually catch up with the webcomic so it could be something he puts out in 'seasons', with the releases always at least a couple months behind the webcomic.

PVP did that. Daily comic on the web. Monthly comic from Image. Big collection every 6 months or so. Scott recently said (I believe) that PVP the comic is going away because there's no money in it anymore. Just the TPBs and the web.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Ka0 posted:

Green elf guy was actually Coyote in disguise calling it now.

But Coyote has already been to the court? Nothing would have changed.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Green elf guy is pretty clearly an ex-member of the Court who passed the test over to the forest. Diego mentions in the big flashback montage that he's a "traitor" and Ysengrin had a similar word for forest dwellers who went over to the Court.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

fritz posted:

Yeah, come on guys.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

McGravin posted:

Well that's what I get for skimming. :downs:

But it is true that the entirety of the rest of the article talks primarily about unskilled people suffering from illusory superiority. I only see illusory inferiority mentioned once or twice. The original study only deals with illusory superiority.

That it does, but the larger point stands: that study and the associated effect explains, at a guess, 90% of the Internet.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Tea-san posted:

Yeah, come on guys.
To be fair, it was also revealed that you're friends with Spiderman.

Hang on Sloopy
Dec 15, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I've been rereading the archives and noticed that on the cover page of Ch 20, Coyote Stories, there is an arrow symbol in the river around the place where Jeanne's lover was shot. Considering that the rest of the symbols in the illustration have some sort of correspondence to Court history or mythology, maybe this is a hint that the arrow is underwater, still empowered with whatever curse or spell that made the glowing trail in the most recent page (unless that was intended as an action line). I wonder if her lover's remains being buried in the river mud is part of what keeps Jeanne's ghost on the shore.

Also, has Tom ever put out a guide or tutorial showing his digital painting technique?

edit: On further readthrough, the arrow made for Steadman the archer in Ch 25 for the "sacrifice", which they say will be Jeanne, could be the arrow in the river. It sounded like they intended to use it on Jeanne, but when Steadman is shown firing it he says it hit "the target", which seems needlessly ambiguous if he was simply going to fire the arrow at Jeanne as the previous pages made it seem. Right now though it does seem like we're seeing the other side of the story that Ch 25 presents.

Hang on Sloopy fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 26, 2010

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Hang on Sloopy posted:

Also, has Tom ever put out a guide or tutorial showing his digital painting technique?

I don't think so. A few people have asked him about it on Formspring, though I can't remember any of the details off the top of my head. He sometimes does a UStream while he draws, but those are pretty rare because he obviously can't do them for future pages and he doesn't have much time to do other drawing.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

1stGear posted:

Green elf guy is pretty clearly an ex-member of the Court who passed the test over to the forest. Diego mentions in the big flashback montage that he's a "traitor" and Ysengrin had a similar word for forest dwellers who went over to the Court.

That makes a ton of sense, actually.

RE: The arrow in Coyote Stories, that's some crazy foreshadowing. Pretty neat.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Honestly right now the only thing I'm wondering is why Jeanne is the "sacrifice" when the other dude got shot. That page really had me convinced the arrow was intended for her. Presumably they kill her too, in some manner.

I'm not sure you can make a conclusive statement about the angle the arrow was fired at. In any case they're already talking like Jeanne is dead.

There's definitely no arrow in the corpse so presumably Jeanne wasn't shot.

Maybe we'll know in 9 hours.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

wdarkk posted:

I'm not sure you can make a conclusive statement about the angle the arrow was fired at. In any case they're already talking like Jeanne is dead.

That page you linked says that there was three hours between lowering Jeanne and the arrow being fired. This page seems to imply that the recent laser thingy that killed elf dude happened practically immediately.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Tea-san posted:

Yeah, come on guys.

Hey, it's glowy dog vision guy.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

1stGear posted:

I'm pretty sure he said in his formspring that this wasn't the case.

Leviabeetus
Feb 14, 2010
Yeah, according to Rey, he and Ysengrin hadn't come to the forest until after the split. Elf dude was an elf before the split. And according to Coyote, the whole give up your body thing was Ysengrin's idea.

I have no idea why Diego thinks of him as a traitor, though I'm sure we'll find out eventually.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Stupid Boob posted:

Yeah, according to Rey, he and Ysengrin hadn't come to the forest until after the split. Elf dude was an elf before the split. And according to Coyote, the whole give up your body thing was Ysengrin's idea.

I have no idea why Diego thinks of him as a traitor, though I'm sure we'll find out eventually.

Lame! I'll have none of your red herring foreshadowing, Mr. Slidell! :argh:

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Stupid Boob posted:

Maybe since he chose to stay in the forest rather then the court, and Diego was jealous of him.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I don't believe a word Coyote has ever said.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ka0 posted:

Jones has said that Coyote is no liar, and I believe her.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Ka0 posted:

Pssh, when has Coyote ever been proven wrong? :colbert:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

Jones has said that Coyote is no liar, and I believe her.

Yes, I'm quite sure that everything Coyote has ever said has been 100% factually true.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
There are two especially artful ways to lie. One is to tell the truth, but tell just enough to let the listener jump to the wrong conclusions. The other is to tell the truth, but tell it so unconvincingly that the listener believes you're lying.

I am pretty sure that Coyote is a master of both.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

DontMockMySmock posted:

The other is to tell the truth, but tell it so unconvincingly that the listener believes you're lying.

I'm reminded of a story told by physicist Richard Feynman, in which someone stole one of a set of double-doors from a room in the frat house, and Feynman, being a notorious prankster, stole the other, knowing that person who stole the first would be blamed for the second. The first door is found soon enough but not the second. The frat president tries to figure out who took the door and asks everyone in the frat, on their fraternity honor, if they'd taken it:

quote:

The president says, "That's a very good idea. On the fraternity word of honor!" So he goes around the table, and asks each guy, one by one: "Jack, did you take the door?"

"No, sir, I did not take the door."

"Tim: Did you take the door?"

"No, sir! I did not take the door!"

"Maurice. Did you take the door?"

"No, I did not take the door, sir."

"Feynman, did you take the door?"

"Yeah, I took the door."

"Cut it out, Feynman; this is serious! Sam! Did you take the door . . ." --it went all the way around. Everyone was shocked. There must be some real rat in the fraternity who didn't respect the fraternity word of honor!

That night I left a note with a little picture of the oil tank and the door next to it, and the next day they found the door and put it back.

Sometime later I finally admitted to taking the other door, and I was accused by everybody of lying. They couldn't remember what I had said. All they could remember was their conclusion after the president of the fraternity had gone around the table and asked everybody, that nobody admitted taking the door. The idea they remembered, but not the words.

People often think I'm a faker, but I'm usually honest, in a certain way--in such a way that often nobody believes me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Monday's page is up, Jeanna gonna slice up a person