Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I don't like how this is making me look back less fondly on the comic's strongest moments, like https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1082

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah this kinda feels like the part in Chrono Cross where ghostly visons of the Chrono Trigger characters as children explain the entire plot to you

So what GC needs is a banging soundtrack

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah this kinda feels like the part in Chrono Cross where ghostly visons of the Chrono Trigger characters as children explain the entire plot to you

This post entertained me way more than the comic has in ages.

It’s too boring now for me to even get the schadenfreude glee of a descent into trash.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

isasphere posted:

I don't like how this is making me look back less fondly on the comic's strongest moments, like https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1082

Oof. Wish you hadn't pointed that out.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Oh... Gunnerkrigg Court...

why isn't this the thread title yet

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I like this update, I just wish we weren't getting the resolution to this plot which has been running since the beginning of the comic in the form of a dream world's contrivance and as a C-plot side-tangent of a side-tangent

I mean I still dont know why Robot feels guilty about all of this, or why they felt l ike they did all this, even for an exposition page this is a bit muddied but like

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Robot setting himself up to have been the angel all along.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
"Evil"? Is he supposed to be showing remorse? because if so, that's not really being conveyed well. Apart from that word, I'd interpret this as him being unapologetic, like a "i know kat won't like that i did that, but i did what i had to do" kinda thing.

Also hard "lmao" at the "metatron's cube" diagram with Kat's dopey smiley face symbol in the middle. That probably wasn't supposed to be funny but it cracked me up.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

“Thanks for asking new character! The answer is the main characters were taking too long to figure this out, but here’s how it would have went if they tried.”

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Annie: "Oh... Dark Haired Numan Girl..."

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm scared. The past few pages are... not bad? Actually good? I hate the say it, but the Zimmyverse seems like the best way to handle Robots reveal to Annie (what with her actually seeing what happened and Robot's Archangel form along with the bird seraphs), I just wish it wasn't THIS version of the Zimmyverse. If it wasn't for the one foray into Coyote-land and the ever-so-puntable Coyote-hog, I would have assumed that Tom honestly forgot what instigated this trip into the Zimmyverse.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
I do think it's nice that Robot was waiting for the other seraphs to be given a chance first. Good to see his religious fervour has not been dampened. That's the Robot I like to see, raving about his goddess.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

That sure is quite the martyr complex he has going on

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I lost it at Annie and Shadow gawping at Robot while Zimmy/Lana/whoever ponders the situation in the background. This loving comic.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

rudecyrus posted:

I lost it at Annie and Shadow gawping at Robot while Zimmy/Lana/whoever ponders the situation in the background. This loving comic.

"Yeah, sounds reasonable." :hmmyes:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I've got this gnawing feeling this is just going to resolve as "the robot cult is still cool and good, you just went a teensy bit too far but we still love you, Robot" and that's the end of it as far as implications involving Kat.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
“Silly Robot, we figured this all out offscreen! And we already forgive you! :)

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I hope the next page is just "Robot what the gently caress are you on about"

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Imagine if this was something we built up to with Annie and Kat driving the narrative, and not randomly stumbling into this with a random unnamed yet focal character in the background making a dumb face while Annie goes :o

Cool art, still bad writing :(

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

There Bias Two posted:

That sure is quite the martyr complex he has going on

Very much so.

He's broken on St. Catherine's Wheel.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
So he's Lucifer AND a holy martyr? I don't think this cult has a very coherent theology!!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Oh great, kat programmed catholic guilt into the robots to impress her girlfriend

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

caught up

I had an effort post about how disconnected this is from prior robot plot but it started to take more effort than the author clearly put into this step of gunnerkrigg

isasphere posted:

honestly this post is comprehensive enough

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
... what?? But in the She Gave Us An Ocean chapter it suggested Robot DID have a body picked out they wanted to use, they wanted to be a little androgynous seraph?? Were we supposed to take "actually what I meant was the form I was considering was that I'm actually Lucifer but in like the secret gospel of Judas way where I have to do the evil thing for the good of everyone else and that's why my chosen body has angelic implications because I'm giving myself Luciferian associations but I don't actually want that body I just want to be killed."

Like?? This was not set up at all. This guilt was not set up at all. You're introducing a near-suicidal determinism to robot like, now? At the final pages of their storyline? And we're just supposed to read this motivation back in through the entirety of the entire rest of the comic?

Like it's not THAT bad but like.

I don't think anyone had this on their bingo card, I don't think anyone saw anything suggesting this was coming at all? It's fine if there's a twist but if it's not even telegraphed, if even when the twist happens you look back and go ".... really? You're sure this is where the story's going?" Maybe you didn't do it right?

What??

Anyway Lana+Loup+Zimmie+Coyote is there to make the =Oc face at it so that's neat.

also again sure glad the longest running plotline in the entire comic is being wrapped up in the Zimmie Distortion World Montage World, which they're ostensibly here to rescue Lana or. Something. This is like a three-tangent removed digression from what they're actually here for we're just wrapping up one of the main storylines that has been running since like page 5 as a side-arc of a side-arc.

e: Also on the previous page, this entire part gets set off by Lanaoupyotemmy asking, randomly, "Hey, robot, why do you not have a body yet." and robot goes "Great question, thanks for teeing me up for my next line." Like it comes out of nowhere completely unnaturally from this still-yet-unexplained character who is just here to prompt the story to Move Along Please.

It's just weird, Gunnerkrigg Court came out in 2005 when most webcomics were How to Draw Manga stream of consciousness self-indulgent clap, this is such a weird fall to watch.

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 29, 2024

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

FlocksOfMice posted:

... what?? But in the She Gave Us An Ocean chapter it suggested Robot DID have a body picked out they wanted to use, they wanted to be a little androgynous seraph??

It's hard to find an exact match now that Google image search is forever infected by lovely AI art, but I think that body Robot used is actually directly inspired by a renaissance depiction of Lucifer or some other fallen angel.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's hard to find an exact match now that Google image search is forever infected by lovely AI art, but I think that body Robot used is actually directly inspired by a renaissance depiction of Lucifer or some other fallen angel.

It's not perfect, but you can filter search results by time, and limit them to before 2022 or whenever AI crap started becoming commonplace

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

FlocksOfMice posted:

wrapping up one of the main storylines that has been running since like page 5 as a side-arc of a side-arc

Yeah, the storytelling since entering Zimmyverse 2.0 has just been all sorts of fractured and hosed, and not in a fun way. Other than Annie Charlie Brown-ing Coyotehog across a continent.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
The reveal here is just like of "oh, so you're insane, then", which I honestly kind of dig. I just wish this was built up to more and that Robot and Shadow hadn't been all but absent in the last few years of comics.

Robot thinking that Kat would kill him is the most hilarious bit of delusion possible though.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

So he's Lucifer AND a holy martyr? I don't think this cult has a very coherent theology!!

It's Cat, full name Caterina, breaking him on St. Catherine's Wheel. I don't know that he's thinking he'll be a martyr, the wheel is symbolic of her.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I would have been super excited for this resolution in the alternate universe where we didn't get tony>loup as plot tumors while all the passion simultaneously drained out of the writing. It's been a handful of neat pages (except for the inserted reacting heads) that I just know are going to be deflated by whatever he follows this up with.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

At this point I'm just convinced that everyone died in the Coyote explosion and this is our montage afterlife playing out.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It just occurred to me that we were all originally excited for Kat to become a new vaguely threatening technogod, and it it turns out Tom meant it to be a direct judeo-christian analouge all along. That's kind of deflating to me, personally.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Kat is gonna be like "I forgive you, Robot" and Robot will say "your mercy shames me, my goddess" and Kat will say "ha ha, jeez!" And then Annie will say "that's why you're so great, Kat" and Kat responds with "ha ha, jeez!"

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

rudecyrus posted:

Kat is gonna be like "I forgive you, Robot" and Robot will say "your mercy shames me, my goddess" and Kat will say "ha ha, jeez!" And then Annie will say "that's why you're so great, Kat" and Kat responds with "ha ha, jeez!"

Oh, Kat...

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I tire of everything being christian allegory.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
can't annie/other girl just say "actually kat seems super fine with being a techno-god thing so what's the big deal here"

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
In fairness, they have referred to her as the "angel" from the beginning. The whole thing having Christian tones shouldn't be surprising.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

SoupyTwist posted:

can't annie/other girl just say "actually kat seems super fine with being a techno-god thing so what's the big deal here"

This, like, by the dramatic angles it's being suggested the robot cult has been a Bad Thing this entire time, but every time Kat has ever interacted with it it's with bemused acceptance of what is clearly her due. She doesn't even like... there's never, I don't think, even a storyline where she's like "Hey Annie the robots are like really obsessed with me and call me their Angel and they ALL do what I say, is that weird?" She just accepts it like "Ah, yeah, the robots all love me and do everything for me devotedly. Sure, that's what I have coming to me, makes sense."

So Robot being like... "I have sinned by setting you up as a god!" and everyone is like "oh no!!" and Kat is just like "Haha jeez! I mean, I sure am a god tho, no big deal!"

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 30, 2024

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Haha jeez!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Riot Bus posted:

In fairness, they have referred to her as the "angel" from the beginning. The whole thing having Christian tones shouldn't be surprising.

Christianity isn't the only religion with angels and it's not like he's never borrowed elements of a religion out of context before.

I'm not so much bothered as bored by the Christian stuff. I'm bored by all of this. We saw robot do like three questionable things and one really bad thing that wouldn't have been such an issue if the court had been even a fraction as protective of the kids as they'd been in every other situation up til that stupid loving cruise. And then he basically disappeared forever

I just don't buy any of this. I don't get why I'm supposed to think anything of this

Why isn't Annie just laying hands on and exploding all this fake hallucination bullshit