Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

Plus he didn't really know her then, so he wouldn't have had too much of a problem with that.

Yeah he did, they had the conversation on the rooftop before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

Lots of people see their lovers murdered before their eyes and they don't turn into spectral beings of pure hatred. Jeanne is just being overly dramatic.

It's pretty obvious from Chapter 25 that Jeanne did not know the whole plan when she was lowered down. She was sent down against her better judgment as unwitting bait to draw Greeny out, she watched his murder, and then she was left there to die knowing that Diego and the other Court higher-ups were responsible for killing both of them. Her 'sacrifice', as they put it (transformation into a spectral sentinel of sorts) wasn't something she knew she was volunteering for.

Reasons for pure hatred? Check.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

wdarkk posted:

Yeah he did, they had the conversation on the rooftop before.

I meant more of a closer relationship, like they have now.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Lots of people see their lovers murdered before their eyes and they don't turn into spectral beings of pure hatred. Jeanne is just being overly dramatic.

There's no way that was a normal arrow. If she was just a crazy ghost, the psychopomps could help her and guide her on to the world beyond, admittedly with some difficulty like they had for the boy in the hospital. Muut has said that she's beyond their reach completely. That's not something that happens normally with just lingering feelings of bitterness.

Not to mention the arrow was glowing and had an "odd weight," which I'm sure we'll find out more about in the future. I doubt this is the last we're going to see of Jeanne, no matter what Parley does here. We just now know her backstory so Annie can go about looking for a way to help her.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Kismet posted:

I honestly think you're reading way too much into that scene. Reynardine is a trickster, a wild animal, and a bit of a dick. Given the choice between languishing in chains with an old body and a gimped leg for god only knows how long, or leaping into the young teenage daughter of a lady he once had the hots for, he went for Annie. She wouldn't have died so long as he hung out in her body, and I doubt he was thinking that far ahead when an opportunity to escape presented itself.

Actually, I remember reading somewhere that when Reynardine possesses someone's body they "die" (their consciousness does anyway) pretty much immediately.

<ninja edit> Think this was from Tom's formspring

Reynardine's body-snatching powers, loving how do they work? posted:

Q. Does someone die the instant Reynardine takes over their body, or are they still conscious on some level until he exits the body?

A. The theory is the latter, but in practice it is the former.

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 30, 2010

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I think Jeanne was either honor-bound or forced to go down and patrol the shores of the Annan Waters that night, so she and the Elf-Boy made a secret pact that he would come get her at 3 a.m. and she would run away with him into the forest forever. Unfortunately, (a) the pact wasn't so secret (due to Diego's little clockwork spies, probably) and (b) the Court saw a golden opportunity to make the Annan Waters impassable in perpetuity. So Diego whipped up an Arrow of Elf-Slaying +5 with bonus "Paralyze Jeanne Until She Dies and then Bind Her Immortal Soul" power. Notice too that Jeanne's face still appears to be paralyzed, to the point that "frowning" essentially warps her entire head. :gonk:

I know all the olden Court guys are complicit, but Steadman comes out looking almost as bad as Diego here. Two-faced little bastard.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Why is she patrolling in a dress and not at least a fencer's uniform?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Brannock posted:

It's the same dress she was in when the killing of Elfdude and binding of her.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

It's the same dress she was in when the killing of Elfdude and binding of her.

I know. That's what I'm asking the guy who posted above me, who suggested that Jeanne was on a routine patrol and got backstabbed.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Brannock posted:

The Court had a strange dress code. Sir Young hated when it was his turn.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The one thing i kinda like about Wedensday's comic is that fact that they are really quite clearly TERRIFIED. These characters aren't really heroes, despite all their extra abilities and whatnot.. They're just curious children who want to do the right thing. I know it sounds kinda weird but to me it's more appealing that they are actually crying instead of being all 'Ghosts? Heh. No.'

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Rei_ posted:

The one thing i kinda like about Wedensday's comic is that fact that they are really quite clearly TERRIFIED. These characters aren't really heroes, despite all their extra abilities and whatnot.. They're just curious children who want to do the right thing. I know it sounds kinda weird but to me it's more appealing that they are actually crying instead of being all 'Ghosts? Heh. No.'

That's not weird at all. Superhuman, emotionless characters are uninteresting.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Parley kicks rear end.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
:geno: "A fine strike, fille"

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
We need us a "gently caress yeah, Parley!" image. It seems appropriate.

Parley gives no fucks about no ghosts. She will straight up ninja kick a ghost to get a magical doodad back from it when she has no idea what in the flying hell is going on.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Letting your opponent, a teenage school student, kick you in the hand and make you drop the thing you were holding? Jeanne's gotten rusty since she died. She ain't so tough.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Parley is all "Get away from her you BITCH"

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Letting your opponent, a teenage school student, kick you in the hand and make you drop the thing you were holding? Jeanne's gotten rusty since she died. She ain't so tough.

I've got a feeling she's about to get stabbed, that arm offscreen and Parley being so open from the kick has me wondering.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Oh no! That means she might need Kat's bionic laser-heart after all :ohdear:

Elliot Rosewater
Feb 15, 2005
Squee!

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I've got a feeling she's about to get stabbed, that arm offscreen and Parley being so open from the kick has me wondering.

I'm not sure at this point. Since the stone landed the way it did because Smitty threw it, whatever happens is probably going to bring order to the situation, whatever that means. Could be good or bad for Parley.

For all Jeane's scariness though, she doesn't seem to be trying that hard to actually kill anyone. Annie has that cut on her face, but Jeane looks like she's going to charge her here, but it's kinda vague.

At the beginning of the flashback sequence, Jeane reaches out and touches Parley's...not hand to show her everything that happened. Would she have bothered to have done this if she was just going to kill her anyway? Then in today's panel, it looks less like Parley knocked the stone out of Jeane's hand and more like Jeane let go of it when Parley struck her. Almost like she got a point in a fencing match. What she says matches this.

As good as I am at reading things though, Parley will be dead on Monday while Kat and Smitty make out on the stairs.

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."
I am late to the party on the which panel is the best panel discussion, but this whole page is the best panel.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Man this comic is loving pretty :swoon:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Elliot Rosewater posted:

As good as I am at reading things though, Parley will be dead on Monday while Kat and Smitty make out on the stairs.

Pff, don't be silly. Smitty isn't a bird.

bigfatspacko_uk posted:

Yeah, Christ. I love these weird pages. Blinker stone stuff, Coyote stuff, it's all god drat gorgeous.

Mike McC
Oct 9, 2009

Looking at the comic, Parley is just moving incredibly quickly. Jeanne's still in the middle of that lunge from the top when Parley's kicking the stone out of her hand.

AfroSpatula
Jan 1, 2007

Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
It's an avatar you see.
Pedantic spoiler warning (art rear end in a top hat irl) The bottom of the frame below Parley is cut off about 1cm above the bottom of Annie's frame. Parley's leg should extend to the bottom to retain continuity.

Edit: also this

bigfatspacko_uk posted:

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

AfroSpatula posted:

Pedantic spoiler warning (art rear end in a top hat irl) The bottom of the frame below Parley is cut off about 1cm above the bottom of Annie's frame. Parley's leg should extend to the bottom to retain continuity.

Nah, it's supposed to be like that. I take care to make sure what is and isn't passing outside of the page frame on these types of pages.

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."
Oh man, I didn't notice the words in Jeanne's hair action marks at first!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

quote:

I'm not sure at this point. Since the stone landed the way it did because Smitty threw it, whatever happens is probably going to bring order to the situation, whatever that means. Could be good or bad for Parley.

Well, bringing order to the situation can't possibly be a matter of killing off Parley. I assume it involves (a) letting Jeanne tell her side of the story (which may be by no means accurate!), and (b) getting Annie out safely, by bringing the only one in the Court who knows spectral kung fu.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I have a better idea you guys.

How about Smitty brings order to the situation by throwing the stone and hitting a bird. And Parley arrived because she was watching a romantic movie and is in love with Smitty.

Seriously here, he's not god. He just has the power to make everything boring.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Chapter 17 is full of ace moments -> http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=363

Ka0 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 1, 2010

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Tea-san posted:

Nah, it's supposed to be like that. I take care to make sure what is and isn't passing outside of the page frame on these types of pages.

It does look a bit incongruous, since it's a flat line cutoff right before a flat line cutoff (the natural end of the page) and everything else flows to the end of the page. Though if you say it's intended, then it's intended.

Mike McC
Oct 9, 2009

Brannock posted:

It does look a bit incongruous, since it's a flat line cutoff right before a flat line cutoff (the natural end of the page) and everything else flows to the end of the page. Though if you say it's intended, then it's intended.
Looking at it, they do appear to be separate panels, just rendered in a way where divisions between panels essentially don't exist.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I want to add that I absolutely love the paneling and attention to reading flow in those spirit-world pages.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Ka0 posted:

Chapter 17 is full of ace moments:

I love the comment below the comic - 'That's... pretty weird, Parley.'

skizzenstifte
May 22, 2010

Liberty. Reason. Justice. Civility. Edification. Perfection.

MAIL.
Tea-san's comments are one of my favorite things about Gunnerkrigg.

quote:

It's Coyote. That green guy is Coyote in disguise (and that big guy is Eglamore).

skizzenstifte fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 1, 2010

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.
Ka0, you might want to thumbnail or link some of those. Your post is huge. And if we wanted to reread the entire chapter, we can do that quite easily on gunnerkrigg.com.

ChairMaster posted:

I have a better idea you guys.

How about Smitty brings order to the situation by throwing the stone and hitting a bird. And Parley arrived because she was watching a romantic movie and is in love with Smitty.

Seriously here, he's not god. He just has the power to make everything boring.
Oh, I know another power! People in this thread have the magical ability to blow everything out of proportion and make mountains out of molehills.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Yeah, can we not post entire pages of Gunnerkrigg here in the thread? We're supposed to be hooking people in and sending them to the site, not rehosting Siddell's comic for him.

In fact, imagine I just made the same post as the one above me. All of that.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
OK fixed it.

AfroSpatula
Jan 1, 2007

Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
It's an avatar you see.

Tea-san posted:

Ok, that's pretty cool then. Those pages are so freeform, it's almost like stepping outside the comic format to convey the storytelling. Having the individual frames sneak in was just a little jarring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Ka0 posted:

Chapter 17 is full of ace moments -> http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=363

Just a reminder that Mort is the poo poo. Carry on.