Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hang on Sloopy
Dec 15, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I've been rereading the archives and noticed that on the cover page of Ch 20, Coyote Stories, there is an arrow symbol in the river around the place where Jeanne's lover was shot. Considering that the rest of the symbols in the illustration have some sort of correspondence to Court history or mythology, maybe this is a hint that the arrow is underwater, still empowered with whatever curse or spell that made the glowing trail in the most recent page (unless that was intended as an action line). I wonder if her lover's remains being buried in the river mud is part of what keeps Jeanne's ghost on the shore.

Also, has Tom ever put out a guide or tutorial showing his digital painting technique?

edit: On further readthrough, the arrow made for Steadman the archer in Ch 25 for the "sacrifice", which they say will be Jeanne, could be the arrow in the river. It sounded like they intended to use it on Jeanne, but when Steadman is shown firing it he says it hit "the target", which seems needlessly ambiguous if he was simply going to fire the arrow at Jeanne as the previous pages made it seem. Right now though it does seem like we're seeing the other side of the story that Ch 25 presents.

Hang on Sloopy fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hang on Sloopy
Dec 15, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I think Annie's outburst is an insightful thing to include, and a clue to how much anger and misery she may be bottling up. No one, child or adult, goes through the death of a loving parent unscarred, and up until this point Annie has appeared shockingly well-adjusted despite the death of her mother, seeming abandonment of her father, and life-changing move to a new school. As far as the audience knows Annie has never met anyone who has experienced something similar, who would fully understand what she's going through.

My wild speculation: Jones will be revealed to be an orphan as well, and will either become her confidante for the issues Annie can't even talk to Kat about, or be the example to Annie of what she could turn out to be like if she keeps bottling up her emotions.

Hang on Sloopy
Dec 15, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Why, whyyyy does this have to be posted on Friday... it almost feels intentional, to build up the tension before revealing another tidbit of long-awaited backstory. Gunnerkrigg has gotten so good lately that it's inspired me to start a watercolor illustration of Annie.